Always on rear 110v power outlet - like the parking switch - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Always on rear 110v power outlet - like the parking switch

I'm sorry if this is a repost. I searched for half an hour but couldn't find anything regarding this topic.

I keep my iNeo golf gps plugged into my rear outlet at all times. I would really like it if I could have the power come on with the car. Ideally, I'd like to still be able to shut if off like the parking switch but if I had to give that up I would.

In order to keep it charged, I have to turn on the switch every time I get in the car. I'd like to alleviate that.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Re: Always on rear 110v power outlet - like the parking switch

The 'piece 'o' crap' inverter provided by the factory has quite a few safeguards built in to prevent it actually being used. You can bypass the power relay but there are inputs from the speed sensor, park/neutral switch and clutch/cruise control switch. That momentary switch on your panel is really just a 'request to turn on' command. The logic in the inverter will then decide based on the state of the various inputs whether to turn ON and if so at what power level. To do what your asking will probably require modding the circuit board inside the inverter. It's easier to replace the factory inverter with an aftermarket one and you can get much more power for not a lot of money. A higher power inverter will also require some bigger wires to operate it but if 400 watts works for you you can use the factory wires and relay but some mods are required. The factory switch can be altered to push on/push off if you have another switch to 'borrow' some internal parts from.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

At this point in time I don't think another inverter is going to be the answer but your second suggestion is more of what i had in mind. Any idea the rough steps I would have to take to try to make something like the parking light switch work for the inverter? Any info such as where to look for wiring diagrams or something would be of great help.

Thanks for responding.

Rob

Quote:
FJ4RWS previously said: View Post
The 'piece 'o' crap' inverter provided by the factory has quite a few safeguards built in to prevent it actually being used. You can bypass the power relay but there are inputs from the speed sensor, park/neutral switch and clutch/cruise control switch. That momentary switch on your panel is really just a 'request to turn on' command. The logic in the inverter will then decide based on the state of the various inputs whether to turn ON and if so at what power level. To do what your asking will probably require modding the circuit board inside the inverter. It's easier to replace the factory inverter with an aftermarket one and you can get much more power for not a lot of money. A higher power inverter will also require some bigger wires to operate it but if 400 watts works for you you can use the factory wires and relay but some mods are required. The factory switch can be altered to push on/push off if you have another switch to 'borrow' some internal parts from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
02bluesuperroo previously said: View Post
In order to keep it charged, I have to turn on the switch every time I get in the car. I'd like to alleviate that.

Any ideas?
I would think a far more efficient way to keep something like that charged would be via a 12v adapter/charger. To the best of my knowledge, it would be way easier to add a 12v power jack back there than it would be to modify the inverter. Does your golf GPS offer a 12v adapter or does the unit have a common charger input plug?

Just a few thoughts... and Greetings from a fellow Milwaukee-area FJ owner.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

Wind in your fur and muzzle to the moon...
Listening to: http://www.khowl.fm
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
At this point in time I don't think another inverter is going to be the answer but your second suggestion is more of what i had in mind. Any idea the rough steps I would have to take to try to make something like the parking light switch work for the inverter? Any info such as where to look for wiring diagrams or something would be of great help.

Thanks for responding.

Rob
Just modding the switch doesn't work because the inverter uses a momentary contact from the 120v switch to initiate the logic sequence to determine if ithe inverter should turn on and if so at what power level. I don't think the inverter will go into 400w mode if the switch is held on. I modded my 120v switch to toggle on/off because I'm replacing my stock inverter with a 1000w unit and will use the switch with a relay to turn on the new inverter. Modding the switch lets me keep the factory look and it has the illumination and on light built in. If you want to mod the switch do the following:
1. Get a Taco light switch (much cheaper than the FJ version).
2. Remove 120v switch from console.
3. Lay the 120v switch on its side on a flat surface. On one side of the switch you will see a contact block (it has the connector contacts on the end). With a small flat blade screwdriver or knife blade gently pry one side of the contact block to release the 2 small tabs that hold it in the switch body. Now do the same to the other side.
4. Lift the contact block free of the switch keeping the switch body flat on the table.
5. There is a small white plastic piece in the switch body that acts as a stop for the button (1/8" wide about 3/16" long and U shaped) remove and set aside (not needed).
6. Do steps 2, 3, and 4 for the Taco switch. Make sure that you keep the switch flat when removing the Taco contact block there are 2 small wires, actually a spring (straight wire) and the latch (slightly thicker and bent into a squared off U shape.
7. Look carefully at how these 2 pieces are positioned in the Taco switch and move them to the 120v switch. They will lift right out as the contact block is what keeps them in place. Tweezers work well for this.
8. make sure the U shaped latch wire is centered between the sides of the switch body and snap the contact block back into the switch body.
9. Press the button on the now assembled switch (you may have to do this twice) to engage the latch. The switch will now toggle on/off.

It takes less time to actually do this mod than it took me to type the above but it will not make your inverter work the way you want it to. I did it because just changing the button faces (which is not as easy) would not have given me the lighting and labeling I wanted.

I have to agree with FJWolf that for what you want adding a 12v socket and using either a 12v charger or buy a small inverter that plugs into the 12v socket is a simpler solution. Small plug in inverters are cheap and put out the same amount of power that the stock is capable of.

Last edited by FJ4RWS; 08-05-2008 at 03:08 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

The golf GPS uses a usb cable to charge. The usb cable plugs into the included AC adapter just ilke an ipod/iphone type of deal.

I suppose there are USB -> 12v adapters that I could use and then add a 12v plug back there?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)

Quote:
The golf GPS uses a usb cable to charge. The usb cable plugs into the included AC adapter just ilke an ipod/iphone type of deal.

I suppose there are USB -> 12v adapters that I could use and then add a 12v plug back there?
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-chargers.html

Get the above, and wire it into 12v.
I am getting the four gang one later, and wire it up live to my Bluesea 12v aux. fusebox that is live all the time.

This way I can charge stuff up front that needs a USB connection instead of using my dual 12v outlets in the rear.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:

Absolutely - 12v - USB adapters are everywhere. So, adding a 12v power port in the rear cargo area would definately be the most efficient route and probably useful in a variety of other ways too.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

Wind in your fur and muzzle to the moon...
Listening to: http://www.khowl.fm
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I've got the bluesea up front as well. Maybe I'll wire it up to that so I don't have to mess with the rear.

Quote:
Corey previously said: View Post

I am getting the four gang one later, and wire it up live to my Bluesea 12v aux. fusebox that is live all the time.

This way I can charge stuff up front that needs a USB connection instead of using my dual 12v outlets in the rear.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Corey previously said: View Post

Thanks for recommending our product, Corey!

Quote:
I've got the bluesea up front as well. Maybe I'll wire it up to that so I don't have to mess with the rear.
Yes, I think this would work for you very well.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in