Question on routing rear window "dashcam" wire - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By PIC4GOD
  • 1 Post By mikey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Question on routing rear window "dashcam" wire

2007 FJ. I want to be lazy and run the rear facing camera's wire along the edge of the headliner from the rear to the front, but I assume with side curtain airbags this would be a bad thing? Or am I making too many ASSumptions and this would be acceptable?

I've already snaked a power wire from the dash to a rear facing light next to the spare under the door sill and under various things, but tucking a wire under the headliner sounds quicker and easier if it doesn't interfere with anything else. Thx.

2007 Voodoo Blue w/104K miles bought in 2014
6 spd man. 4x4 | Conv. Package | Upgrade Package 1 & 2

Mods
Auxbeam NF-S1 LED headlights | Rigid Industries 6" SR2 Hyperspot LED & D2 x 2 | OEM Air Dam w/Hella lights & FJ Covers | JVC KW-M730BT w/Carplay | LED interior/license plate lights | TapTurn | Headrest grab handles | Inside rear hatch release | Remote rear window release | N-Fab T0654FJ Wheel to Wheel Nerf-Step | 285/70/17 DuraTracs | Hi-Lift Jack Mount | Tuffy Security Console | Rear Door Folding MOLLE Rack | Auxbeam 50 Inch LED Light Bar | Trailworx A-Pillar mounts | 2x 2.1A USB sockets | Bandi Antenna mount | SightLine wipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Question on routing rear window "dashcam" wire

Quote:
PNutts previously said: View Post
2007 FJ. I want to be lazy and run the rear facing camera's wire along the edge of the headliner from the rear to the front, but I assume with side curtain airbags this would be a bad thing? Or am I making too many ASSumptions and this would be acceptable?

I've already snaked a power wire from the dash to a rear facing light next to the spare under the door sill and under various things, but tucking a wire under the headliner sounds quicker and easier if it doesn't interfere with anything else. Thx.
Running it in the headliner is fine. Your bigger issue is the pain running it through the boot in the rear door, taking the door panel off, and snaking the wire around the window to the top center. I did it and it took me an extra hour. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
PNutts likes this.

PIC4GOD - A build to get me to locations to photograph God's works!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

it is easy to remove the lower IP, kick panel and the scuff plates (they are all designed to be removed again and again, which is an awesome feature for a highly modified product like ours)

The only "hard" part is pulling the rear quarter trim out far enough to drape the wire from the rear of the access door to the edge of the back door. Note, though, that the trim is separated where the color changes, making it much easier to pull just that lower portion out for wire running access.

I found that part easiest after removing the rear seat cushion and folding the back down. Would have been much easier if I'd also removed the seat back but didn't.

If you run the wire down the passenger side, the back door scuff plate can also be easily removed to get across to the driver's side.

Then, like PIC4GOD said, the hard part, getting the wire through the grommet begins. I removed the jack, its bracket, the back door trim and the wiring in that area. Then, if you completely remove the grommet and its contents you can pull the washer hose out to make room, run the new wire(s), and then put the hose back and re-assemble everything. This extra step is especially useful if the new wire has a permanently attached connector that is large.

N

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I made a bracket that holds the camera to the headliner just behind the rear dome light and ran the wire through the headliner. It was fairly easy using a long thin piece of wood with the wire taped to it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Here you go:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ishing-fj.html

I just used the 2 sized 3M tape that came with the rear mount and stuck it to rear cargo light.

Nice an easy, still get a good camera picture.
amaclach likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Iceboy previously said: View Post
I made a bracket that holds the camera to the headliner just behind the rear dome light and ran the wire through the headliner. It was fairly easy using a long thin piece of wood with the wire taped to it.
Can you take a picture of the bracket and how it's attached? I'm thinking about doing the same. Thanks.

2008 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition
2004 S2000
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 AM

I can and will. It may take a day or so until I can figure out how to post pictures. It is really simple to make out of a strip of aluminum and it attaches just by popping the light out and slipping the bent part of the bracket under the headliner. The picture will explain all.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:43 AM

This should be it. Just remove the rear dome light and slide it under the headliner then replace the dome light. Ran the wire to the front with a long thin stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170723_114835.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	1042736  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 AM

The picture is upside down. The portion to the bottom of the picture is the part that slides under the headliner.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in