Everything connected, but... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Everything connected, but...

No sound! I finished everything last night, including drilling the hole for my 1/0 and running it into the center console to connect with the distribution block. When I fired everything up, the W505 came on, and everything is working fine with it. BUT, no sound.

I did this pretty late/early this morning, so I haven't had time to troubleshoot too much, but I verified all my connections and polarity. All seems to check out. Both amps are powering up.

Because BOTH amps (front 2-channel and the sub amp) are not working, my suspicion is that this has something to do with the Alpine Imprint processor box. It stands between the HU and the amps, so it seems likely that it's not getting powered up properly. Tonight when I have more time I will connect the amps directly to the HU and see if that works.

In the meantime, can anyone (Briman, Briman?) recommend a sort of troubleshooting triage list of things to try to identify this problem?

Thanks!

c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Zem

Re: Everything connected, but...

I have no idea what an Alpine Imprint Processor Box is, but wouldn't you just check the voltage on the remote wire for the amps? If it doesn't go high when you power on the head unit, then the signal to power isn't getting there.

I guess the question is whether the amps aren't powering on or whether they aren't working correctly but are powered...?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

The HU wasn't on mute or something silly was it?? That's definitely something I can see myself doing late at night or early in the morning.

2007 Ti FJ Cruiser - 6MT
Current Mods
- 285/75R16 GY Duratrac on MB Razors (winter), OME 886/895, LR UCAs, All Pro Rear Lower Links/Skids
- AllPro skids, Expedition One front bumper/sliders, Metal Tech Rear
- JBA exhaust, TRD Intake & AFE Throttle Body Spacer
- AllPro air dam w/ 4 PIAA 540s, Gobi ladder & 20% Tint
-Ellis Precision stuff, Scangauge II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

No, I did check the mute - it's not on... that's the kind of dumb thing I've done before, too!

And as for remote power - as I think I mentioned in my original post - it is getting to the amps. They're lighting up when I turn the truck on. I suppose I don't know whether the 4-gauge power to them is getting there or not, but the remote power definitely is.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Zem

Sorry, I must have missed that. Have you checked the menus on the head unit to see if there is an option for turning on the amp out signals?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Good thought... I have checked that too, although i am not familiar enough with the interface to know if I may have missed something. I'll explore further when I get home tonight, as that is definitely a possibility!

thanks,
c
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 PM

If the only thing between the head unit is the Imprint processor...then I would assume that it has to deal with that. Like not being powered correctly or connected properly. Did you check your RCA's for signal? Maybe the RCA's aren't sending signal properly. That's the only thing I can think of. Did you turn the gain up on your amps? hah.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Hey, BT -

Good questions...

How can I test whether the RCAs are getting signal?

No, I didn't touch anything on the amps in terms of gain settings. That did not occur to me as I was planning to rely on my IMPRINT... now I feel pretty dumb. Would it be typical for amps to be set on "0" gain out of the box? Could that be my problem. I'd be relieved but also feel totally stupid if it were that simple!

thanks - I'll check it out...

c
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
cpl55 previously said: View Post
Hey, BT -

Good questions...

How can I test whether the RCAs are getting signal?

No, I didn't touch anything on the amps in terms of gain settings. That did not occur to me as I was planning to rely on my IMPRINT... now I feel pretty dumb. Would it be typical for amps to be set on "0" gain out of the box? Could that be my problem. I'd be relieved but also feel totally stupid if it were that simple!

thanks - I'll check it out...

c
Yea amps are typically set to 0. its a dial and you turn it up to raise the gain. Tho at 0 gain, you should still have SOME sound...as long as your head unit was turned up. Also to test your RCA's, i THINK you can use a multimeter.

I've honestly never tried it, but I am assuming you just play music and test the connecter, ground the black and touch the red to the connector (someone chime in please on this, because I am just guessing).

You will need to tune your amps to your system also. This is done by putting your headunit at max volume with no processing on, all filters off, and your EQ at 0. make sure your amps are at 0 gain as well.

You will want to obtain 2 files. a 1000hz sound file (for speakers) and a 60hz file (for subs). You put the cd in and play at max volume (might want ear plugs, it gets LOUD). then while you are in the back you adjust your amps gain. You turn it up until you hear an audible change in tone (you'll see what I mean). Then you turn the gain back a tiny bit.

Do the same for the sub. I would unplug the RCA's from the speaker amp when doing the sub (just incase). Once that's good turn down your system and put in your favorite cd. then set your high pass filter (speakers) and low pass filter (subs). I think I set my speakers to cut off at 125hz (somewhere around there) and sub to start at 125hz.

Your head unit probably also has a HPF and LPF built in that you can set these frequencys at.

If you need those two audio files, I have them on my PC at home, I can email them to you tonight if you'd like.

Last edited by BLUE TONKA; 09-10-2008 at 02:37 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

use a simple 9v battery on the speaker wires GOING to the speakers...
you should get some noise...

at least with this test you know

1) wire is good
2) speaker is hooked up

next ... take the head unit and processor out of the equation

hookup your ipod/cd player to your amp with one of these:
1/8" stero jack to RCA

this will test

1) amplifier power
2) amplifier gain / etc

do the same test BEFORE the processor

you can also text for voltage on the RCA's coming from the headunit

4V should be about right.

good luck

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in