Aftermarket stereo Questions galore and Backup Camera - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket stereo Questions galore and Backup Camera

I have the JBL premium stereo on my FJ (2013), and hate the stereo interface. The stereo does not sound bad, no issues there and with the subwoofer, I think Im covered as far as my audiophile needs (my ears still have guns-n-roses ringing in them from 1989 so I don't need too much ). But I hate the actual interface on the stereo, and it doesn't work well with the USB reader (albums are all over the place no matter how you alphabetize them).

So I'm looking aftermarket, but MANY questions:

• So is the power for my system generated in the current JBL head? Or is there a "boost" box somewhere that converts power for the system and the Head unit is just a low signal output for the sound? Meaning low level signals to a power box that drives the speakers?
  • If the head unit is the power generator for the stereo, anyone know the rating? What should I be looking for in an aftermarket for the same power?
  • Is there a reverse direction sense signal in the wiring to the stereo, meaning when you put the car in reverse, the signal goes high to tell a stereo to display back up camera?
  • How do backup cameras work on aftermarkets? Do you typically have to scroll on a panel to the camera page every time you want to back up?

Thanks for your time, I look these things up but anymore internet searches are more and more fruitless as there's a ton of noise out there from similar but very different posts. Any suggestions for aftermarket stereos are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:42 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Re: Aftermarket stereo Questions galore and Backup Camera

I have a 2013 TT - so I do not have the subwoofer. I did replace my headunit and speakers (dash and door), here are my thoughts.
I chose not to connect the backup camera for 2 reasons.
1) Interfacing to the backup camera wiring to the HU was more than I wanted to get into the existing wiring goes to the mirror camera. I am not sure if there is a place you could splice into around the HU. I assigned this task a "too hard, too much work" label.
2) The boot time of my stereo is 20-30 seconds (estimating here). I typically like to get in, crank the engine and start backing up. I did want to have to wait the boot time for the camera to come on.

Power wise, the OEM HU drove the 4 speakers I replaced, also drives the stupid ones in the headliner - I disconnected these. I cannot speak to the sub as I don't have one.
I believe the camera display on the HU would come on when the mirror display would come on - if it was connected like I describe above (reason 1).

Hopefully someone else chimes in who got this working - they are out there.
This post may do better in the "Stereo/Electronics/Electrical" sub-forum.

Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Bump. I'm interested in this thread. Preparing for an extensive audio upgrade and concerned about the wiring of the reverse backup camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 83 Post(s)

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...av-system.html

This link helps describe the challenges - it is doable.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion FoxTrotJuliet, At least I found out, you A) CAN tap into the existing camera link, and B) use the reverse sense to trigger your head unit to display only in reverse.

This was from mrmayhem post on 9-21-2010 in the forum you provided:
Quote:
I also have a 2010 and did this mod for an Alpine IXA-W407 (sickness).. If you only tap into the video leads at the mirror (red and white - on the right side of the connector), you will only have video when you switch to camera mode from the radio (AUX video). Tap into the reverse trigger which is the third wire from the left of the connector (Red with yellow stripe). This will turn your radio monitor immediately to the camera when in reverse (no matter what the screen is currently displaying).
Now I just have to find a Head unit that works with the camera and the reverse sense.

I will keep the boot time in consideration. I had a JBL aftermarket system in my XTERRA (That was destroyed in a wreck, leading me to replace with the FJ), that booted in about 10 seconds. I couldn't get it out of the vehicle without having to replace the original deck and blah, blah, logistics sucked so I left it in my Xterra, would love to have it now, hindsight.

I am willing to do the rewire for the backup camera so I'll post my results here if I do it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 PM

It's an easy mod for a stereo shop. I have a Kenwood 994 head unit and just had the backup mod done last week. No more little image in the mirror and now a full image in the head unit screen. Automatic sync with going into reverse. Took my shop about an hour for the mod and just over 100 bucks to get it done. The image also includes the backup lines in the image.

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Quote:
Mike Zimmerman previously said: View Post
and it doesn't work well with the USB reader (albums are all over the place no matter how you alphabetize them).
I realize that you want a new stereo head unit but I'm going to answer this one anyway since other people may want to know how to solve the playback order problem.

The FJ radio, like many low cost MP3 players, plays back in the order from the file allocation table in the underlying file system on the flash drive. You don't see this in Windows as Windows always sorts the files for display. The actual order on the drive is related to the order in which the files were written, deleted, updated, overwritten etc.

The way to get the order right manually would be to format the flash drive, then copy the mp3 files one at a time to the drive in the order you want them to play and then not change anything else. This is very tedious and error prone.

A better way is to make up your flash drive the way you want it, then use a file system sorting program to sort the actual FAT32 file system on the flash drive. There are a few programs that can do this but the one that I find easiest and works reliably is DriveSort by Anerty. After sorting, the FJ will play and navigate the albums and songs in alphabetical order, making it much easier to navigate the drive.

Link to DriveSort (free)
Anerty's Lair - DriveSort

2013 Canadian FJ Cruiser 6MT with offroad package, rock rails, hitch receiver, cargo cover, cargo net, rear door storage nets, spare tire cover, hood deflector, OEM block heater, and TRD shift knob. OEM Audio Plus stereo upgrade.

Last edited by FJ-6MT; 02-11-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

Quote:
So is the power for my system generated in the current JBL head?
Or is there a "boost" box somewhere that converts power for the system and the Head unit is just a low signal output for the sound? Meaning low level signals to a power box that drives the speakers?If the head unit is the power generator for the stereo, anyone know the rating? What should I be looking for in an aftermarket for the same power?

the speakers are power from the headunit other than the sub that is if you have one ..the stock headunit is maybe 12 watts of poor wattage if that...almost any aftermarket headunit out powers a stock headunit with a power rating for 25 watts to 50 watts per channel ..and great option with a aftermarket headunit is the use the Alpine Power Pack amp which is 45x4 (fits behind headunit in the dash) and would give you more than enough power for the front speakers (6x9s in the doors and tweeters in the dash) which i would swap out for aftermarket also

Is there a reverse direction sense signal in the wiring to the stereo, meaning when you put the car in reverse, the signal goes high to tell a stereo to display back up camera?

yes just like factory it automatically switches to the backup camera

How do backup cameras work on aftermarkets? Do you typically have to scroll on a panel to the camera page every time you want to back up?
same as above ^^^ it automatically switches to the backup camera

Last edited by ZoSoIV; 02-11-2018 at 07:51 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Actually the 2011-2014 JBL system is a bit different than the normal stock radio setup even though it looks almost the same. The amplifier for all channels in in the subwoofer at the back. The connection between the head unit and the DSP/amplifier unit is a some kind of a digital connection.

Also the backup camera does not appear on the JBL stereo unit and there is no reverse signal to the stereo. There is a vehicle speed signal for adjusting the tonality if you use that feature but nothing for a backup camera. The backup camera appears in the rear view mirror.

JBL claimed 440W of power which may be a bit of a stretch:
https://www.jbl.com/toyota-fjcruiser-us.html

Because of the very different setup, putting in an aftermarket head unit may be considerably more trouble than with the base stereo.

2013 Canadian FJ Cruiser 6MT with offroad package, rock rails, hitch receiver, cargo cover, cargo net, rear door storage nets, spare tire cover, hood deflector, OEM block heater, and TRD shift knob. OEM Audio Plus stereo upgrade.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Wow thanks for all the responses, everyone. All bits and pieces are valuable. I think I found a unit that I can work with, I used to get the GPS, DVD everything units but I don't use any of that. Just need Bluetooth, a USB port and backup camera and for it to work pretty well and Im ok.

Pioneer MVH-AV290BT looks like a winner for my needs. I will be doing this myself, I've done many stereos and know my way around - plus installing a dashcam system at the same time since everyone on planet earth wants to take me out on the roads (which is why I now have the FJ I always wanted!)

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in