Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How hard is it to install a set of auxillary lights?

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  PENROSE 
#1 ·
I just got a set of PIAA 520's that I want to mount on my grille guard. How hard is it? Can I do it myself? Where would be the easiest place to put the switch? How much should I expect to pay if I have a shop install them for me?

Sorry for all the questions......any help/tips are appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

#3 ·
Very easy to install. Follow the instructions included with the lights. I put my switch to the left of the steering wheel. Autozone has some nice switches (some match the one I got with my KC lights) I used on of the blanks and drilled it out then glued the switch in. I like the way it looks. the blanks on the left are easy to pop out. just reach up under the panel and push. It will pop out without too much effort.
Now that I will be putting a 3rd light switch in, I'll be moving all the switches to the center console.

#4 ·
I was challenged myself and i think they are easy to follow. I put my switches without making any holes or using the stock places, just using the switches provided. I fed the wires between the silver and the black parts of the console to the left of the steering wheel. Just enough to stick their switches.

#5 ·
Theres a few nice write-ups on using the oem aux switches as well... if you want to spend another $100. I would recommend at least a modified factory install if you want to keep it all stock looking. Just purchase the $7 relay, use your spare 15A fuse, then just stick a switch to the green-red wire on the stock harness junction behind the driver side kick panel. Wire up with your included piaa harness, and youre done.

#6 · (Edited)
I would recommend at least a modified factory install if you want to keep it all stock looking. Just purchase the $7 relay, use your spare 15A fuse, then just stick a switch to the green-red wire on the stock harness junction behind the driver side kick panel. Wire up with your included piaa harness, and youre done.
That sounds AWESOME! (although I have no idea what you are talking about)

Here is a really "lame" question........At what location do the wires enter the "inside" of the truck (inside the cab), from the "outside" of the truck (under trhe hood)??

#7 ·
hehe... Ill try to explain, but see these posts first:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-520s-hooked-up-oem-aux-switch-harnesses.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/41654-aux-switch-hack.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...auxilliary-driving-lights-wiring-diagram.html

The last one shows the wiring diagram for the aux switch, but heres the jist of it though. Toyota includes wiring inside the cabin to turn on a relay for your lights already. All you need is the relay (its made by hella, for toyota, but it looks IDENTICAL to Hella Micro Relays, 12V). Just plug that into the fuse box (appropriately marked for your aux relay), and stick in the fuse, and you now have power enough power to fire up (2) 55W aux driving lights.

So, after you install the relay and fuse, you have 2 problems: (1) how to get the OEM wiring harness to fire up your PIAA? Well, pop the hood, drivers side, main loom, there is a connector READY for hooking up to your PIAAs. Just connect up to the +/- on your PIAA and thats it.
Problem (2), how do you turn ON your driving lights? Well, if you follow link 1 in conjunction with the toyota diagram http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...auxillary-lights-installation-litefj71aux.pdf you will see that the $50 switch and $20 wiring loom is just a fancy plug to the drivers side kick panel. Just get a few terminal crimp connectors and a switch and you can wire this part up yourself.

Then, if you'd like to turn on your aux lights without having the high beams on, follow the techniques in link 2.

Have fun!

#8 ·
Im pretty sure (95% sure) my PIAA's are 85 watts, not 55.......does that matter?

I pick them up tomorrow, so I cant look at them now.

#10 ·
Yeah, I just picked them up, and they are 85W. I think I am going to use the switch that came with them because it looks fine to me. I was going to get a factory switch, but, ahhh, this one is fine for now.

The instructions don't look too bad.....

1) Disconnect negative on battery terminal.

2)Find a power source to connect the switch power to. (It says that for fog lights, which is what I have, that the power has to come from a source that is only powered when the low beams are on)

3) Run wires through the drivers compartment. Connect switch to wires and mount switch.

4) Connect relay ground to battery negative.

5) blah blah

6) blah

7) etc

8) Test out lights

9) blah

As for #2, I might need some advice. Where's a good power source? I dont care about hooking it up to a "low beam" source like it says. I want to be able to turn them on whenever I want.

As for #3,.......where IS a good (easy) spot to run the wires through into the cab??

Thanks for any help

#11 ·
#12 ·
Where is a good power source to tap into under the hood?

Where is a good spot to put the wires through into the cab?

Thanks

#14 ·
In the firewall in front of the driver there are 2 grommets. One is large and has wires running through it. The smaller one is where I ran my wires through into the cab. You may have to cut it a little to get all the wires through.

#15 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I think Im going to give it a try.

#16 ·
I paid a shop $40 to install them. I'm lame. They did a good job though, and the lights are awesome. I recommend them (PIAA 520 Ion Chrystal Fog)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.