Looking For A Specific Head Unit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Looking For A Specific Head Unit

Hi all,

I have a 2011 FJ with the Off-Road package & the Technology Package, so it has the JBL speakers w/ sub the hands free calling and bluetooth, aux cord and USB port. I'm looking for a double dinn touch screen head unit that is capable of android auto and apple play so I can use Waze on it, can utilize the stock USB and Aux port in the FJ, can utilize the steering wheel audio controls as well as the hands free talking controls. So far I've found a lot that can utilize steering wheel audio controls but none have specified whether or not they can use the hands free calling steering wheel controls.

Short Version: Basically I want a head unit that allows everything to work exactly as it does right now, but have a touch screen and android auto & apple car play.

I know there are a lot of posts similar to this, but everyone has their own specific wants and needs, so here are mine.

Thanks so much in advance!

Just a dreamer livin' in a city that's way too real.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Looking For A Specific Head Unit

I just installed a Kenwood DMX7004S with an iDatalink Maestro RR module. You can get about 90% of the way there with the Maestro RR module. I don't have the JBL package, just the 6 speakers, but i was able to keep all of the steering wheel controls and the voice button on the steering wheel will activate Google Assistant when you are in Android Auto mode. The only thing you'll lose is the original USB and the XM radio (personally i can't stand XM radio sound quality). What I did to get USB back was to install this in the instrument cluster:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only one of the USB will hook to your stereo, in the case of the Kenwood if you use the black USB on the stereo you'll get Android Auto and Car Play. The top USB can be run for power if you choose but the original USB also still works for charging, just not data function. An added bonus to the Kenwood stereos (and maybe others as well) is the ODB2 connection which gives alot of added data on the head unit that FJ doesn't give us. I haven't tried the analog AUX input yet but I assume it still works, I'd have to search for a cable to test it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Angry Re: Looking For A Specific Head Unit

I have the 2012 version of your FJ, Gallacticus, and have the exact same goals as you. I've read a TON of posts here and have seen several solutions that maintain USB ports with some modification, steering wheel controls, the JBL sub, back-up camera, etc. At present I'm debating going with either:

- The Pumpkin path (https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...o-upgrade.html),

- The Belsee or similar eBay options (https://www.belsee.com/belsee-afterm...2006-2017.html),

- or a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX, iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR, and HRD-RR-TO1 from Crutchfield (see https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tionality.html).

Each path has strengths and weaknesses between ease of installation, manufacturer support, functionality, and cost (the last being nearly $1000 to accomplish). For me personally, cost is not the real object --- proper functionality is. The only open item I haven't been able to resolve is a solution the keeps the stock OEM hands-free mic that is located near the rearview mirror. All options I have seen so far use a mic in the unit itself or have to have an external mic (like the aforementioned Kenwood). I most definitely DO NOT want an external mic messing with my beautiful FJ interior lines!

I welcome any thoughts, feedback, guidance and inout from other FJers out there. There must be an optimal solution for Gallacticus and I!

Greiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Looking For A Specific Head Unit

In the exact same boat. Leaning towards the Pioneer avh-w4500nex for itís wireless CarPlay/Android Auto functionality and ease of use in particular.

I do like the look of the larger LCDs on the many dash replacement options, but Iím worried that itíll end up having spotty hardware or software or wiring and cause a bigger headache than itís worth. I really wish it was possible to buy one of the custom center consoles without the sketchy receiver unit.

Ultimately leaning the Pioneer model above over the Alpine ilx-107 based on the discussion in another FJ thread.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Tags
android auto , apple carplay , audio , head unit , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in