12.3" screen Android Head unit - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Re: 12.3" screen Android Head unit

Quote:
NestahEdition previously said: View Post
I have the 10.25" Android radio that came with the custom built FJ radio console bezel.
Wow, that looks surprisingly decent, China you crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
LiL13izzy7 previously said: View Post
Hey Alfamua,

I just had this installed last weekend. I bought something similar but not exactly the same brand, from ebay: https://tinyurl.com/y3xgdpma . I took it to a local Al & Ed's Autosound and had a professional install it. So far I am really happy with this unit - I've searched and searched for reviews all over the internet as well, and could not find a single U.S. vendor, or anyone in the U.S. who has any experience with this unit. All the photos and videos I've seen of either the 10.25" screen or 12.3" screen head units have been from people in the middle east. It's very well possible I could be the only one in the U.S. that has this unit...

Before I decided on this unit, I was looking into the Insane Audio FJ1002 head unit, but for $1000, it is definitely overpriced. The head unit that I bought is running Android 9.0 Pie, and does everything the Insane Audio unit does, for half the price. It also just looks better - like an OEM unit. I'm happy I skipped any other head unit and went with this one.

Could you post some pictures ?

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Here are photos from my Android head unit that I mentioned above. The main interface I'm running is the Agama Car Launcher app. You'll see a list of the apps I have installed, it can play videos, run some mainstream navigation software, torque OBD2 software, shares the rear-view camera feed with the stock camera feed that goes to the rearview mirror. Going to try to install Carplay and Android Auto next with one of those dongles from amazon next...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

I've been looking at the same thing but was hesitant because I love the painted trim so much. Does this seem easy to paint? Is the plastic removable from the head unit?
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage

LiL13izzy7,
Looks great!
Did it come w/ Silver face-plate?
I have a Belsee 12.3"(probably the same unit).
When I bought it (a year ago-ish) it only came w/ gloss black face-plate.
Do you have the JBL sub? I think that's what is messin' w/ me.
The tech support from Belsee is so-so, they need better translation software
But glad to see how it looks
aarlit1,
Quote:
aarlit1 previously said: View Post
I've been looking at the same thing but was hesitant because I love the painted trim so much. Does this seem easy to paint? Is the plastic removable from the head unit?
The face-plate is removable.
I have a Silver Fresco '11 & hated the shiny black face-plate, so I painted it a hammer-tone silver (tried matching w/ OEM paint, but I suck at laying down a smooth coat of paint...)
The problem I'm having is determining which harnesses connect in-dash (they included an obscene amount of harnesses and none make sense)
& finding time to muck w/ it.
I got the screen but no sound, (it was bent/collapsed pin on canbus box) gonna try again this weekend, & also check the steering wheel controls

If you DIY you will have to remove the A/C control "pod" and attach to the new face-plate, pretty straight forward. You do have to plug in the TINY ribbon cables for the Hazards, defrost etc. & they are delicate (I took lots of pics for reference...)
One of those little round magnetic parts holder bowls & jeweler's screwdrivers really helps.

D

Silver '11 FJ
Snorkel, CAI, dual batteries, scuba mod, TRD suspension, up-graded brakes, LED lightbar, pushbar, EZ View mirror, rubber "shorty" ant., air comp., remote jumper cables, MaxTrax, hi-lift jack, Scangauge II, Fresnel lens, LEDs, Tuffy console, Frontrunner rear drawer, Springtail basket & rear rack, Chi-Town pwr rear window, nav. sys & various bling...
ready to install: 12.3" head unit, hidden winch, Switch-Pro panel, wheel flares.

'87 Grand National
resto-modding...
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:19 PM

The faceplate appeared to me not to be removable, but I didn't really try. Even though my car is white, I am happy with the silver faceplate that it came with simply because it actually matches the side trim pieces, and looks OEM. I did stay away from the piano black version to avoid any obvious scratches showing up. In my experience, it's wasn't easy to find the 12.3" version in silver (they are mostly found in black), and there are plenty of the 10.25" units in silver though. I didn't get the Belsee version, but did get the idea of downloading the Agama car launcher by researching their head units.

I do not have the JBL version factory stereo, which I believe makes installation easier. It really did come with a lot of harnesses, and I'm no audio guru, so I left it to the professionals. It did come with a camera, but I opted not to install it and tap into the factory reverse camera feed. In hindsight, I should have had my installer hook up the camera and install it as a front-facing camera. That would have been cool. The other thing I'm trying to figure out now is whether or not I can salvage my factory USB/aux port. I've tried to MacGyver some old USB cables to adapt, but so far no dice.
rev. 3:11 likes this.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage

Here's an easy replacement for the aux port. It fits perfectly in the original spot and has a usb and 3.5 mm port. Should work if you have usb and 3.5 inputs on the back of the head unit.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...hpt000b0l08ett
rev. 3:11 likes this.

2008 FJ - Sandstorm - Bilstein 5100's - Bilstein +1.5" Rear coils - 285/70/17E Falken Wild Peak AT3W's - BMC - Light Racing Upper Control Arms - All Pro sliders - Rokmen Trailing Arms - Cobra 75 WX ST / Boztec / 3' Firefly - Baufeng UV-5R V2+ - Blacked out factory wheels and trim.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:18 PM

Just a quick update on this - I was successfully able to replace the AUX / USB port on the advice of Murph's Law above. Secondly, I was also successfully able to run Apple Carplay and Android Auto with this head unit. I bought one of those dongles from amazon, and loaded up the required APK (Autokit), connected the cable, and I was in business. It is worth noting that I have an Android phone, while my wife has an iPhone. The iPhone and Carplay run way better than the Android phone and Android Auto, which appears stretched (probably because the screen is so wide), and I can't figure out how to fix the aspect ratio on Android Auto. Carplay looks just right, and after some tweaking to the settings in Autokit, it runs flawlessly. Android Auto isn't quite so seamless, but I got it more for the wife to use anyway. I prefer using the built-in Pie software when I'm driving anyway.

Blown383 likes this.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)

What can you do with the dongle that you can't do otherwise? Wouldn't the Bluetooth function as the same?

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Hey sonof40, the main thing with this dongle is that it'll allow you to listen to and compose messages while you're driving. The stock Android software doesn't have the built in ability to do this. You can download chat apps like WhatsApp, but the dongle lets you use your phone's built-in SMS text messaging service, and listen to voicemails, etc... Essentially it's a simplified version of your phone, tailored for using while driving. Not for some people, but my wife loves it, and feels it makes her feel safer while driving.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in