Replacement battery options - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Replacement battery options

Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
I’m on my third Odyssey Extreme Grp34 bat, 2 replacements in 2 years....... I do have a parasitic drain somewhere among all my aux items which may be the real culprit, ...
I have an Odyssey 31M-PC2150 and I also have a parasitic drain (discovered WAY too late) that runs ~17% of the total capacity down overnight. Still hunting it down. My first Odyssey started leaking (yes leaking. Yes they aren't supposed to be able to do that. The Odyssey rep was... intrigued?) after "Moab Before the Summit" 2018 after just over a year installed. I did not have to pay any shipping for my warrantied replacement, nor did I have to send the leaking one back. I've kept it in my garage on a battery tender and it hasn't leaked any worse...

I have an Optima red-top in my other car. No complaints about it yet but it's also only around a year old. Same-ish age as the Odyssey, so we'll see which one dies first! Down in the Texas heat, I've found that regular lead-acid batteries rarely last even 3 years if parked outside.

I'd tentatively suggest that whatever battery you end up getting, if you're going to 4-wheel and rough it up, spring for the longest warranty you can. At least down in Texas, I've only had 1 battery outlive its warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:55 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Good advice @debFJVT ! Thanks for sharing your experience. Even if it was good deal at first and they offered to pay shipping, I'm not sure I could allow downtime like that. Having a warranty but no way to access it other than shipping would have me worried. I was looking for deals online but in the end, I think that's most important: ease of access. Buy it from their network of dealers or a chain store so they can deal with shipping it.

Speaking of batteries had me worried since I was seeing some hesitation in cold starts . I just ordered this from Advance Auto Parts AKA Car Quest. 25% off and free shipping using "CTP3BX" or entering your email on their list. And I don't have to worry about shipping!

Optima yellow d34/78 dual terminals, etc etc
FYI thereís no downtime as I pay for the new bat which gets refunded once they receive and test the failed bat. But you get the essential part of my complaint, ease of access. Live n learn I hope the Optima works out for you - please let me know!
jamesepoop likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:17 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

@101Firedog Youíre fortunate to have found a more cooperative company...Iíve been extremely frustrated by this! And unhappy with the short lifespan of AGMs. Not sure if itís anything to do with AGM actually, and what we do to them certainly plays a part. Iíll be much more diligent with keeping the CTEK trickle charger on this new one. Thanks for the advice on getting the longest possible warranty.

TLCA# 25170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Quote:
Iím on my third Odyssey Extreme Grp34 bat, 2 replacements in 2 years.... Donít know if itís the extreme temps they have to deal with between wheeling Moab in the summer and just surviving frigid Vermont high elevation winter weather, but believe me I take good care of them - heated blanket and trickle charger through the winter, cooling blanket and hood vents open in summer. I do have a parasitic drain somewhere among all my aux items which may be the real culprit, but still I have to wonder if what you suggested could be true, that QC for Odyssey may be failing. Wouldnít mind a lighter weight bat, as lifting that 50lb brick up n out is at the far end of my strength spectrum - I do it but wow it hurts. Also @JamesP oop I have an Optima yellow top in my WRX which has been fine without any comfort blankies, just occasional top up charge...and no aux items hooked to it.
I ran Odyssey batteries in my drag car for 15 years with success. Over the last couple years they have let me down. Don't even get me started with Optima junk. I now run the Duralast AGM in my '13 FJ, '78 Hilux and '87 4Runner. They have been great and I abuse them. The hilux sits for months at a time and fires right up.
debFJVT likes this.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

Quote:
smracing previously said: View Post
I ran Odyssey batteries in my drag car for 15 years with success. Over the last couple years they have let me down. Don't even get me started with Optima junk. I now run the Duralast AGM in my '13 FJ, '78 Hilux and '87 4Runner. They have been great and I abuse them. The hilux sits for months at a time and fires right up.
Now THAT is really interesting....thanks for the info, and if Duralast AGM really do last thatís a win because theyíre so readily available. Please do post up on any issues you do/do not encounter with the AutoZone special!

TLCA# 25170
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage

Keep in mind if you go with an AGM you will need to add a diode at the fuse to give you an extra little boost from your alternator. I think you need an extra .5 volts for AGM batteries.

I got one on eBay for around $20. You pull your fuse, plug it in to the holder with diode, and put the whole assembly back in the fuse slot. It is the Alt-S fuse.

Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163382289063?ul_noapp=true

I have an Optima yellow top and just bought a second for dual battery, though I haven't installed it yet.

So far so good on my end!
Baddawg likes this.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

Quote:
fidelityflip previously said: View Post
Keep in mind if you go with an AGM you will need to add a diode at the fuse to give you an extra little boost from your alternator. I think you need an extra .5 volts for AGM batteries.

I got one on eBay for around $20. You pull your fuse, plug it in to the holder with diode, and put the whole assembly back in the fuse slot. It is the Alt-S fuse.

Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163382289063?ul_noapp=true

I have an Optima yellow top and just bought a second for dual battery, though I haven't installed it yet.

So far so good on my end!
Yup got the alt boost fuse on both my vehicles, for the entire time Iíve had AGMs in there. For those who donít have it, please do! Thanks for posting the link GL with Yellow Top...saying that for my sake as well
fidelityflip likes this.

TLCA# 25170
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Yup got the alt boost fuse on both my vehicles, for the entire time Iíve had AGMs in there. For those who donít have it, please do! Thanks for posting the link GL with Yellow Top...saying that for my sake as well

I figured that, deb! That tip was mostly for the OP, or others reading this thread considering AGM for the first time.
debFJVT likes this.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage

@JamesP oop , If that picture is a representation of the actual battery you ordered you will need to replace or modify your battery cable clamps. I had to order the reverse post yellow top to ensure the positive terminal was on the correct side. Just food for thought.
jamesepoop likes this.

"Mean Green" '10 Army green 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker. Demello 3 hoop w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, PURE FJ sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C's front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear, SPC DOM LCA. 16" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method NV's.

"Angry Orange" '13 Magma 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker, CRAWL. Demello 3 hoop Evil Eye w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, AP sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear. SPC DOM LCA's, 17" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method Holes.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi!
Bought my 2007 FJ new in April 2006 and so far, the original Panasonic Battery is still performing like new. That's close to 13 years of use. I live below the Arctic circle and my FJ sits outside year round in -40 to +70 temps. No battery blanket, no battery heater; just a naked battery under the hood.

I would like to go with another Panasonic Battery when this one fails, but the Alaska Toyota dealers all claim that that Toyota will not ship Panasonic batteries to the USA, and the only replacement battery they offer their customers is a Toyota branded battery rebuilt by Interstate, that costs $130 over the counter. It does have an 84 month replacement warranty; the first 24 is at no cost and the rest of the warranty is prorated. They claim that most of these Interstate batteries have outlived their 84 month warranty.

I would still like to get a new Panasonic.

Have any of you folks been able to get a new Panasonic Battery for your FJ from your Toyota dealer or anywhere else?
Thanks.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in