Replacement battery options - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Re: Replacement battery options

billq,
since the OEM battery is great, and since Toyota won't import it except when it is installed in a car, probably the only option to get another one would be to buy one from a salvage yard, from a later model Tacoma

The shock from the impact might have affected it, but that might be the only way to get one.

N

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)

duplicate post!

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
billq, since the OEM battery is great, and since Toyota won't import it except when it is installed in a car, probably the only option to get another one would be to buy one from a salvage yard, from a later model Tacoma. The shock from the impact might have affected it, but that might be the only way to get one. N
Hi Norm,
Thank you; that's a great suggestion and one I hadn't considered. I will check around and see what I can find, and also learn how to check the condition of a lead acid battery.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:49 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
billq previously said: View Post
Hi!
Bought my 2007 FJ new in April 2006 and so far, the original Panasonic Battery is still performing like new. That's close to 13 years of use. I live below the Arctic circle and my FJ sits outside year round in -40 to +70 temps. No battery blanket, no battery heater; just a naked battery under the hood.

I would like to go with another Panasonic Battery when this one fails, but the Alaska Toyota dealers all claim that that Toyota will not ship Panasonic batteries to the USA, and the only replacement battery they offer their customers is a Toyota branded battery rebuilt by Interstate, that costs $130 over the counter. It does have an 84 month replacement warranty; the first 24 is at no cost and the rest of the warranty is prorated. They claim that most of these Interstate batteries have outlived their 84 month warranty.

I would still like to get a new Panasonic.

Have any of you folks been able to get a new Panasonic Battery for your FJ from your Toyota dealer or anywhere else?
Thanks.
Youíre lucky to have that most prized Original Panasonic...many here have wished they could get another but Iíve not heard of anyone finding one new. Others will chime in...maybe you can find one at salvage? Wow what a testimony to the integrity of that OE Panasonic!

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
AMMO461 previously said: View Post
@JamesP oop , If that picture is a representation of the actual battery you ordered you will need to replace or modify your battery cable clamps. I had to order the reverse post yellow top to ensure the positive terminal was on the correct side. Just food for thought.
Thanks for ther heads up. It looked like ther correct orientation in ther pics but I guess I didn't stare that long. Could I ask, did you have to call the company to order the reverse terminal? Or did you go with their other fitments like the 35 or 27F? I was hoping to shed a few more lbs but the 27F specs are close too. 10 lbs for 100 cca/11ah more.

Never mind, I ended up looking up BCI group size and saw the difference in terminal orientation too. "R" or "F" designations have reversed terminals. I ended up ordering an Autocraft Platinum 24F similar to the Duralast Platinum that @smracing mentioned. (same casing/ similar specs but diff label). The specs are close to what I was looking for anyway. Should have just went with the website's part recommendation in the first place lol.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 02-26-2019 at 07:52 AM.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
Youíre lucky to have that most prized Original Panasonic...many here have wished they could get another but Iíve not heard of anyone finding one new. Others will chime in...maybe you can find one at salvage? Wow what a testimony to the integrity of that OE Panasonic!

Hi Rocker,

I hear you and agree. I too, would very much like to replace my Panasonic battery with another Panasonic Battery. Have to wonder what Toyota and especially Panasonic, are thinking when Panasonic refuses to sell batteries to the world's largest market. Maybe there's a legal issue or something.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:34 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
billq previously said: View Post
Hi Rocker,

I hear you and agree. I too, would very much like to replace my Panasonic battery with another Panasonic Battery. Have to wonder what Toyota and especially Panasonic, are thinking when Panasonic refuses to sell batteries to the world's largest market. Maybe there's a legal issue or something.
Maybe because it would DESTROY all the other battery companies

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:48 PM
JFF
Forum Regular

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I too am on a search for an original OEM panasonic, FJ arrives April 06, 252,000 miles and the battery most likely would have still been fine if I didn't let the car sit for a few months while I was away and a polar vortex settled into the area. I did see someone with a cardboard box with Panasonic on the side and they were pulling a battery out of it, the trouble is that I've read through so many forums tonight that I can't recall where I saw it, if anyone else has seen this image, please let me know so I can see if I can track down this option, thanks, JFF
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Bad Wolf previously said: View Post
Are you really going to save at Costco? You know your gonna want the 55 gallon drum of pretzels once you get in there.
I feel attacked.... *walks out covered in cheezeball dust from head to toe*
Bad Wolf likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in