thoughts on replacement stereo & add CB and OBD2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By frankinnola

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thoughts on replacement stereo & add CB and OBD2

Greetings: The CD player in my FJ Jammer stereo in my 2007 MT with 116,000 miles has stopped working so was looking to replace the stereo unit with something more modern and do some upgrades for my off road use. This is my hunting rig and I travel logging roads and primitive roads so bumpy, muddy and cold. During non hunting season I will use the FJ on the weekend to keep the battery going and for trips to the range.

My plan was upgrade the FJ stereo so I can interface with either Andriod and Iphone devices to play music or audio books, I do not use XM even though I have the antenna. I want to add CB radio for when in the woods with little to no cell coverage when hunting with my nephew and others and add OBD2 reader that will let me see codes, monitor engine performance realtime.

After doing a bunch of research here and looking at all the threads, my thought is to keep the original speakers that came with the FJ: 2 door, 2 dash and 2 rear pillars and wire (I removed the sub-woofer to make storage room) . My budget was $500-$700.

Before I buy all this gear I wanted to hear if this was good plan or bad.

1)Kenwood Excelon KDC-X303, CD receiver from Crutchfield, with the wiring harness, Crux SWRTY-61S Wiring Interface for steering column control and Metra 95-8202 2 Din Dash Kit - ~ $200.00
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC...-KDC-X303.html

2) ScanGuage II ~ 160.

3 A) Add single DIN CB radio looking at the President Johnson II radio and then the antenna (Firestick FS), mount (BozTec), cable etc. ~250.00.
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/p...ent-johnson-ii

3B)my other option is to go with the Midland 75-822 and see about mounting the ScanGuage II in the other DIN slot with Scosche single DIN mount.

While researching i saw the comments on the Insane Audio FJ 1002 and then the threads on going with the Andriod units and then adding front a rear cameras...that would be nice but dam $$$.

thanks for any input
frank
Easy Rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: thoughts on replacement stereo & add CB and OBD2

I'm really liking the 12.3" Android screen with bezel replacement, that does wonders for the dash.

2011 FJ
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

If you want something when you are out of reach, deep in the woods i would look at a HAM radio instead of a CB.

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

We very recently replaced the stock radio in our 2007 FJ with a Sony radio from Crutchfield. CD player in the old one died. Easy installation with the adapters - just match wire colors, solder them, and plug stuff in. I was AMAZED how much better the new radio sounded - should have done this years ago! This with the stock speakers, and the subwoofer removed years back. You will be pleased.

We have a CB radio for emergencies - common use.

We also carry a Baofeng GMRS radio set - good for use between us if we separate, and good for distance calls. The crew we often travel with uses GMRS radios. License "required."

Scangauge a good idea - I guess I am still too cheap.

Matt B

BTW, we have a front camera - $30 off Amazon. It is actually a backup camera. Yes, the image is reversed - just aim toward the danger!

Last edited by oldMattB; 05-03-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
frankinnola previously said: View Post
3B)my other option is to go with the Midland 75-822 and see about mounting the ScanGuage II in the other DIN slot with Scosche single DIN mount.
Definitely go with the Midland over any single-din or Cobra radio. It's a much smaller footprint (especially when not using it) and can be used as a handheld if needed. Here's all the parts you need for the Midland install:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...b-install.html

Quote:
frankinnola previously said: View Post
While researching i saw the comments on the Insane Audio FJ 1002 and then the threads on going with the Andriod units and then adding front a rear cameras...that would be nice but dam $$$.
I owned one of the first Insane Audio head units for the FJ, it was an older version of the Android OS that couldn't use the SD card for app storage. So I was limited to just the 1GB of storage on the unit, which made the Gaia Maps capability I bought the radio for not work. Not sure if they've fixed this (i.e. upgraded OS version) on the FJ1002 unit, but I'd do some research on that before buying. I had a lot of friends with much cheaper Android head units that worked just as well.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Jimmy, thanks for the input. I had your thread saved on the Midland install. I think I will do the CB first and the two powered USB ports while I have the FJ open.

I had thought about the HAM but all the guys that we hunt with use CB radio's. the HAM would be nice but I would be the only one.

A set of the GRMS looks like something to have even for non hunting season when cell phones are not working.

I am still researching the Andriod unit for front and rear camera and OBD2 capabilities.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in