Buyer beware O'Reilly alternator - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:42 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Re: Buyer beware O'Reilly alternator

" If money were no object, a Mechman alt would be the route I would take"

never heard of them before, are their parts better than OEM?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Irving Zisman previously said: View Post
If money were no object, a Mechman alt would be the route I would take.

https://www.mechman.com/alternators/...-0l/2007-2012/

On the plus side, I am now an expert in changing out the alternator and can have it done in under 20 minutes.
Checked the Mechman, says only 2007-2010 If I was serious about a new alternator I'd call to verify.

Exactly where to you live and do you work for beer?
Thorn661 and Irving Zisman like this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
" If money were no object, a Mechman alt would be the route I would take"

never heard of them before, are their parts better than OEM?
Mechman is highly endorsed in the car audio community for their output ratings. Everyone who has one says they are superb.
Are they better than OEM? As far as output is concerned, yes. Longevity is an unknown as I do not own one yet. Everything I have read on them says they are far superior to OEM in every way, but as we all know, you cant believe everything you read on the interweb.
Karlfly likes this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Lee44 previously said: View Post
Checked the Mechman, says only 2007-2010 If I was serious about a new alternator I'd call to verify.

Exactly where to you live and do you work for beer?
I did not think the alternators were different from the 2011+ models, but I have an 07 so I would not know.

Of course I work for beer. Who doesnt?

Sadly, I am stuck in SoCal for the time being.
Thorn661 and Lee44 like this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Looks like brush holder with brushes, for both new/old alternators (2007-2014). Approx $16. At that price, one goes into the box in the back. Although changing it in the field could be an issue??

SKU: 27370-0F060
Other Names: Brush & Holder, Brushes, Holder S A Brush
Description: FJ CRUISER
Replaces: 27370-0Y150, 27370-31220

Looks like it fits a lot of other Toyotas..
@FJtest Thank you!

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Irving Zisman previously said: View Post
I did not think the alternators were different from the 2011+ models, but I have an 07 so I would not know.

Of course I work for beer. Who doesnt?

Sadly, I am stuck in SoCal for the time being.
I thought that strange also. I checked the Toyota parts list. It does show the break as 07-10 and 11-14

SoCal, should have figured that from your 'location'.
Irving Zisman likes this.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)

Quote:
Lee44 previously said: View Post
Looks like brush holder with brushes, for both new/old alternators (2007-2014). Approx $16. At that price, one goes into the box in the back. Although changing it in the field could be an issue?? (snip)
I always pull the alternator to clean out all the dust and powdered carbon brush residue, check bearings, re-lube the needle bearing, and clean-up the slip rings with 600 grit wet-or-dry abrasive paper. I think swapping out the brush module would be a real challenge with the alternator still in the vehicle, but it depends how determined you are. I've never tried it.
WebSnyper, Thorn661 and Lee44 like this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:16 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Exclamation Re: Buyer beware O'Reilly alternator

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
I always pull the alternator to clean out all the dust and powdered carbon brush residue, check bearings, re-lube the needle bearing, and clean-up the slip rings with 600 grit wet-or-dry abrasive paper.
How about a How-To video? We'll get you your own STICKY section so we can preserve the knowledge that's in that MacGyver brain.

Thanks for all your assistance in so many areas.

トヨタ
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
I always pull the alternator to clean out all the dust and powdered carbon brush residue, check bearings, re-lube the needle bearing, and clean-up the slip rings with 600 grit wet-or-dry abrasive paper. I think swapping out the brush module would be a real challenge with the alternator still in the vehicle, but it depends how determined you are. I've never tried it.
Personally not that determined anymore.

Something to be added to the preventive maintenance list at 100k miles as you mentioned earlier. Maybe a little longer?

I changed brushes in our old Camrys. A much easier job . Are the diode and regulator packs also available for the newer alternators? Rebuilt the Delco alternator for our ‘75 Chevy PU one time.

Almost everyday I drive by an old shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. Looks like a shop behind his house. I would expect to find an old guy about my age, ok, maybe a tad younger. I think I’ll stop by and say ‘Hi’.

Also agree with @Hannibal a good DIY would be great

Thanks for all your support!
Lee
Hannibal and WebSnyper like this.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:40 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)

@Lee44 Let us know what you find out at the shop/house. It's always good to know if the Ol' Skool is still around.

トヨタ

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in