Sound deadening - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sound deadening

I tried searching but didn't couldn't find what I was looking for. Has anyone done a full sound deadening install? What did you use how much did you buy? Would 150 sqft be enough or too much? Results, pics?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Sound deadening

I bought 100 square feet of Fatmat Rattle Trap and covered the floor and sides of the FJ from the back of the front seats back. I did the rear doors, the cargo floor, under the rear seats, and all the way up to the headliner on the sides. I still have quite a bit left and sometime soon I'm going to continue the floor and sides around the front seats, the four side doors, and the firewall. If there is still some left at that point I'll drop the headliner and work on the roof.

I'd say 150 sq ft would do the whole FJ, depending on how much you apply. You only need 25% of each body panel covered to dampen the vibrations and deaden sound. I put on much more than that.

I don't have any photos readily available.

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:22 AM

Describe your before vs after impressions.
Was it worth it?

2011 FJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info! I read that fatmat was asphalt based. Did it smell? What did you pay?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Forum Master

Garage

It's definitely more quiet in the rear of the FJ. I've been converting my FJ into a 4WD camper so I also added fiberglass insulation between the frame and body panels in the rear, which of course further deadens the sound. I decided to use the material to deaden outside sounds since my goal is to have a comfortable sleeping area in the rear of the FJ. I want to eliminate noises from other cars if I'm sleeping at a highway rest stop, for example. I think doing the floor under the front seats (where the transmission is) and doing the side doors will help a lot to eliminate road noise.

My Build / My Adventures
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:34 AM
Forum Master

Garage

The fatmat has a black, sticky adhesive but I don't think it's asphalt based. It has no odor, even in the triple digit Utah and Arizona summers. I ordered it from Amazon. Looking at it now, I only bought 50 square feet, not 100. I remember now thinking that what I had left and another 25 square feet would finish the whole FJ. It looks like right now it's $109.95 for 50 sq ft on Amazon.

FJFool and Irving Zisman like this.

My Build / My Adventures

Last edited by crazysanman; 06-20-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage

Rattle Trap is what I used. One 50ft roll was able to cover the front doors, rear door and flooring in the trunk area. I had pics of it but cant seem to find them now.
I have another 50ft roll in the garage that I plan on doing the roof with. After that, I will buy another 50ft to do the floor and rear suicide doors.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. I have a 1400 watt Rockford Fosgate system in my FJ so the rattle trap made a huge difference with sound quality and rattles caused by vibration.
If I could do it again, I would have started with the headliner. Thats where most of the noise from the roof rack, rain, and bass flex are coming from.

Yes, I think 150ft would be enough to deaden the FJ.

If your budget allows, look into Second Skin. They are supposedly the best for sound deadening and are recommended by most in the car audio community. Sadly, my budget doesnt allow for Second Skin products

https://www.secondskinaudio.com/
crazysanman, Thorn661 and FJFool like this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

Last edited by Irving Zisman; 06-20-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

My budget won't allow for second skin unfortunately. I love the fact that it's made in the USA. I am going to go with noico 80 mil. Figured I would do it top to bottom. Once the seats are out is the vinyl floor a pain to remove/reinstall? Off topic I Was thinking of hiding my 2 amps under the front seats? Anyone else try this?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
crazysanman previously said: View Post
I'd say 150 sq ft would do the whole FJ, depending on how much you apply. You only need 25% of each body panel covered to dampen the vibrations and deaden sound. I put on much more than that.
^ this. The manufacturer only recommends a certain amount of the butyl material to dampen vibrations. Then use sound insulation on top 100% coverage like Noico green 170 mil liner. When I redo mine, I am going to use the Noico liner on top of the butyl layer.

2012 TT 6MT: ICON Extended Travel Coil Overs, Icon Rear Lift, Total Chaos UCAs, MetalTech Rear LCAs, OPOR LCA Skids, Skyjacker Links, Demello Baja Bumper, Richochet/All Pro Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro 285/75/16, Flowmaster 50 Series, TRD Intake Element, Freedom Windows, Bandi CB Mount (for CB and HAM), 55W 5000k HIDs, 2 8-inch LED Light Bars and LED Amber Cube Fog Lights (Grill), Interior Zombie Lights.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ll-w-pics.html

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in