Best replacement speakers for the $$$? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best replacement speakers for the $$$?

My 19 year old son is replacing the head unit in his 07 FJ with an Alpine ILX-W650, but he doesn’t plan to replace any of the stock speakers. I keep trying to explain to him that he won’t be able to appreciate the benefits of the new unit as much without upgrading his speakers. He’s paying for this himself so I can appreciate his fiscal responsibility.

If you had $500-$700 to spend on speakers, perhaps a budget amp and a small sub(including labor), what would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I currently have a pioneer nex7200 with 5 amps now im not implying that u need what i have as everything is higher end ,i.e. morel, Hertz , Audison,Jl audio, PHD, critical mass, and mosconi, and Steg ,16 speakers ,of which 2 are 8in subs and 1 -jl13inch shallow and 1-Jl 12inch shallow .
For all intended purposes a 6.5 component set like a Hertz mille, or Jl C5 or C6, or Morel elate on the higher end , one good 4 ch amp and 1 mono sub amp with min 10inch sub of which you'll find a couple made for Fj over the rear wheel setups.
A jl Hd 600/4 is an excellent amp , but a Rockford fosgate T800.4 is very good as well , and a jl 500 or Rockford T500 for subs.
I went overboard ,lol, but a good 6.5 component set will sound fabulous , all you need is the adapters plate for speakers which reduce door hole to size needed .
I want to stress that to achieve best results you need to at minimum sound proof doors with dynamat or something similar, my rig i stripped interior and fully sound proofed entire vehicle , not only does stereo sound incredible but only outside noise is from Botla exhaust. Otherwise is like being in a luxury vehicle. My rig is always a work in progress , so much more still to do, lol
If interested i may sell the last of my stereo components that I've accumulated last couple of years. I just kept on trying different things until i settled on present setup .i have so much Fj stuff as well , she is my 4 th child, or to my wife the mistress, lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_114345_1562256428284.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	1084780  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Rear end
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15622566446969194989346191831260_1562256654901.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	1084782  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:27 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Re: Best replacement speakers for the $$$?

Any info on the rear spoiler?

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 AM

I have the black carbon fiber spoiler u will notice it on my Fj in previous posted photo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage

I replaced the 6x9's in the doors with JBL GT7-96 & replaced the dash speakers with JBL GTO19T tweeters. This was about 3 years ago. Did it myself. I'm sure both have newer models out now. My FJ already had a Bazooka powered sub in it when I purchased it used, so I just wired that into the harness for the head unit I put in (Kenwood DDX373BT which also has a new model out now). Did it myself and been happy with it.

I'd check out Crutchfield. The speakers were pretty easy to replace myself, I did not even completely disconnect the door panels from the power lock cables, I detached them and propped them up out of the way so I could replace the door speakers, using the Crutchfield Toyota speaker wire harnesses and the brackets (I did have to cut the connectors for the dash speakers to wire those in using the supplied bass filters that came with the tweeters).

Head unit was also not bad with the wiring harness from Crutchfield (I didn't have any controls on the steering wheel for audio so didn't have to mess with that).

Nothing fancy, but I have loved the JBL speakers, so just check out what the newer models of each are.

He definitely will want to replace the speakers to get the benefits of an upgraded system.

2007 Titanium FJ Cruiser
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thoughts on the Alpine R-S65C.2?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RS6...C-2.html?avf=Y
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

Quote:
BeerGuyMA previously said: View Post
Good components yes

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 AM

Garage
CDT speakers are great value ,Ive put 8inch in the doors 2 inch in the dash and the 1 inch tweeters on the column they sound amazing
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I’ve been happy with Alpine speakers and amps. Good quality for the money. I also have JL Audio speakers in the dash and rear and a JL sub and power.

RCinMN
2013 TTSE with a few mods. Love the OEM look.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in