Quick question about applying Dynamat to doors... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quick question about applying Dynamat to doors...

Hi,

Doors panels are off as I will be upgrading the speakers. I have some dynamat I wanted to place on the doors.

The door has a plastic barrier all the way around it (see pic below). Would you recommend removing the plastic seal and putting down the dynamat in its place?

Any other tips with regards to applying dynamat (or any other noise reduction material)?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEFD9EAD-D2D5-477C-A398-95095DD1AAAC_1568019361013.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	1092652  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:43 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: Quick question about applying Dynamat to doors...

Quote:
jigaloo previously said: View Post
Hi,

Doors panels are off as I will be upgrading the speakers. I have some dynamat I wanted to place on the doors.

The door has a plastic barrier all the way around it (see pic below). Would you recommend removing the plastic seal and putting down the dynamat in its place?

Any other tips with regards to applying dynamat (or any other noise reduction material)?

Thanks!
That is only the vapor barrier. Dynamat is best placed on the inner side of the outer door skin, and you will have to remove this plastic barrier to get to that surface.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

In addition to Dynamat, which is a Constrained Layer Damper (CLD), you'll want to also have a decoupling foam to go between the door panel and the metal skin. So consider ordering something with that ability. Resonix is a new brand made by a fellow audio enthusiast I know, and if you want to buy DIY, you can go to www.thefoamfactory.com and use something closed-cell like Neoprene. I usually order big enough batches for a few builds, since I'm an enthusiast fabricator and usually have people that want work done lined up. 1/8" for tight areas, 1/4" for most other places. I used Sprayway adhesive spray to get it to stick to the panels.

2012 Cavalry Blue - 3" Toytec BOSS 2.0 lift, JBA Control arms, Fuel Anza 17x8.5, Patagonia M/T 285/70-17, roof wrapped in Avery satin black vinyl, all work DIY for better or worse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Garage

Peel back the poly liner by heating the black adhesive with a hair dryer. That way you can just stick it back in place after installing the sound deadening stuff.

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Ditch the plastic, and you'll want to cover those big holes. There are some suitable deadening materials to go over the holes like second skin luxury liner. I just made covers out of sheet steel to cover them, then applied deadener over that.

Quote:
Lanson previously said: View Post
In addition to Dynamat, which is a Constrained Layer Damper (CLD), you'll want to also have a decoupling foam to go between the door panel and the metal skin. .
This is excellent advise, I used ensolite foam over my raammat. ( RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products ) I also used Fast rings to make sure those waves aren't getting in between the door and the card. https://www.amazon.com/FAST-Rings-3-.../dp/B016LFVKHY

It took a bit of work but I have zero rattle with 8's in my doors. Powerful mids makes the ladies happy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

jigaloo,

There are many youtube videos on how to sound proof a vehicle. Additionally, there are numerous products on the market. Do a little research before jumping in. Lanson has provided good advice to include closed cell foam to absorb mid range frequencies and prevent squeaks between plastic and metal. Use proper materials designed for automotive sound proofing. Don't use Home Depot items.

To answer your question, Yes you can use a sheet of Dynamat as a vapor barrier but there are better materials for that purpose.

Last edited by olongapo2; 09-09-2019 at 06:57 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

jigaloo,

Attached is a photo of my recent sound deadening project. After adding a dynamat type material and closed cell foam to the door skins I used some leftover Soundskins material from a previous project for a vapor barrier. Soundskins is a 3 part product; Butyl, Foil, and Acoustic Foam.

Hope this photo helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6511.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	1092706  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
olongapo2 previously said: View Post
jigaloo,

Attached is a photo of my recent sound deadening project. After adding a dynamat type material and closed cell foam to the door skins I used some leftover Soundskins material from a previous project for a vapor barrier. Soundskins is a 3 part product; Butyl, Foil, and Acoustic Foam.

Hope this photo helps.
Very helpful!

Thanks everyone for the guidance.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in