Signal, AC stopped working. Air bag light on now - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Signal, AC stopped working. Air bag light on now

Hello, I was driving today and all of a sudden I cant signal and AC just went dead (no lights either). Hazard lights flash and all lights on dash work along with radio but now the airbag light is on. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Re: Signal, AC stopped working. Air bag light on now

Quote:
me 2 previously said: View Post
Hello, I was driving today and all of a sudden I cant signal and AC just went dead (no lights either). Hazard lights flash and all lights on dash work along with radio but now the airbag light is on. Any ideas?
Additional information is needed. The assumption is that you've already done the no-brainer tasks like checked ALL the fuses in both the engine bay and cabin fuse panels.

1. What year FJ?
2. Please provide a list of ALL electrical functions that work normally, and those that don't: HVAC blower, wipers, interior lights, horn, door locks, etc.
3. ANY non-OEM electrical system modifications of ANY kind?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Sorry, its a 07. Literally everything works except ac and signals. The lights for the signals work on the dash and outside when using the hazards. Checked under the seats for loose cables but nothing is loose. Getting odb code P0705.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Also after market stereo does not show back up cam in reverse. Seems like its isolated to under the dash. Curious if theres a relay that controls ac, signal and air bags?

Last edited by me 2; 09-17-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:10 PM
Forum Superstar

No obvious common factor here ... are you in an area where there's any possibility of rodents chewing on the wiring harness?

Are there any signs of rodent activity in or around the engine bay ... nesting materials, droppings, etc.?

Possibly the easiest things to look at first is chasing the P0705 code. Does the transmission gear indicator in the instrument cluster properly indicating the gear selected as the shift lever is moved through the various positions?

Check the wiring harness at the transmission range selector switch on the RH side of the transmission, and trace it as far forward as you can, looking for any evidence of insulation damage.

You didn't confirm that you had checked (pulled and visually inspected, or pulled and checked continuity with a multimeter) every fuse in BOTH fuse panels.

Or respond to the question about ANY non-OEM electronics ... is there anything other than the "after market stereo"? is this just a replacement head unit, or is there an external amp somewhere, and/or a non-OEM backup camera?

Last edited by FJtest; 09-17-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:33 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I Agree look for chewed wires. My old well not old 2014 4runner was a victim of a mouse nesting under my engine cover on top. The little #$%^ got my #4 injector wire. So definitely look really good.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Okay, sorry for the lack of info, been insanely busy. So today went out and found that a 15 amp fuse under the dash, the IGN 1 fuse was blown, sure enough it was the culprit. I have added a 50" LED bar, leds in the wheel wells and most recently a set of LED headlights. Im guessing the headlights are possibly the reason the fuse blew. The rest of the lights have been on for a while with no issues. Thanks guys for all the help.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Was this right after the water from the river crossing came in to the cabin thru the AC vents?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
me 2 previously said: View Post
Okay, sorry for the lack of info, been insanely busy. So today went out and found that a 15 amp fuse under the dash, the IGN 1 fuse was blown, sure enough it was the culprit. (snip)
Jeez, it goes without saying that for ANY electrical system fault that suddenly appears, CHECK THE FUSES FIRST.

2 minutes spent visually checking the fuses would have taken less time than the 3 forum posts asking for help.

From the 1st post response to your request for help:

"The assumption is that you've already done the no-brainer tasks like checked ALL the fuses in both the engine bay and cabin fuse panels."

Last edited by FJtest; 09-18-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Signal, AC stopped working. Air bag light on now

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
Jeez, it goes without saying that for ANY electrical system fault that suddenly appears, CHECK THE FUSES FIRST.

2 minutes spent visually checking the fuses would have taken less time than the 3 forum posts asking for help.

Thatís something that always in the back of my mind when someone ask for help. What are their skill sets and should someone really need to be working on the vehicle. How is someone going to learn you ask. Is it safe for them to learn. So now I probably upset some folks and this post will be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in