Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Factory alarm keeps going off by itself! Help!!

24K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  troopercapp 
#1 ·
Just like the title says. While having lunch today, my alarm went off. Didn't think to much of it. Thought maybe i hit the panic button while my keys were in my pocket since an inspection of my vehicle suggested it was a false alarm. Then about an hour later it happened again. Again,i thought i might have unknowingly triggered it myself.

Well my keys were sitting on my banister and guess what..... Alarm!! Three times in one day?? Anyone have any thoughts? I reallydon't want to have to keep getting up every few hours to reset my alarm.

#2 ·
I know on mine there's a sensitivity screw on it, left turn increases it and right decreases it. It's on the little black box that houses the LED for the alarm indicator. Have you tried adjusting it or do you even have the ability?

#3 ·
Do you have the glass break sensor alarm, or the motion sensor alarm?

I personally believe the the motion sensor alarm becomes loose and moves on its
own, and needs to be tightened down. I would try making sure it isn't loose first.
Just download the install instructions from the forum.

There is a TSB out for the motion sensor alarm, that it goes off all by itself.
If it is still in warranty. they are supposed to replace it with a gbs alarm.

If it is the GBS one you will have to play with the sensitivity.

#11 ·
My factoey alarm on my 2007 FJ Cruiser also goes off on its own. Turning off the interior sensor with the magic button stops it doing it. Does anyone know where to find those instructions on tightening down the motion sensor? Or even know where the sensor is? Or ideally stop the alarm arming when I lock the doors with the remote? Is there a fuse I could pull?

#4 ·
There is also a shock sensor. All have the shock, then in addition they have either the glass break sensor or motion sensor. The shock sensor detects vibration of the body, like if you bump into it. The motion sensor detects movement of objects inside the cabin space. And of course the glass break is a microphone tuned to the frequency of breaking glass.

Mine has the same problem as yours and it is that the shock sensor is too sensitive. A loud car passing by or a big truck (like the garbage truck at 6am!) will set it off. If near an airport, planes will set it off too. I have my horn fuse out right now because of this. So now the lights flash but no noise at least. Afaik, there is no screw and it has to be adjusted by the dealer via the OBD2 port. I have the VIP RS3200.

Stickinthemud, is that the factory alarm on yours that has an adj screw? I don't believe that any of the factory alarm black boxes have the screw or an led on them.

I would prefer to just disable the shock sensor. In order to steal it or get into it, they'd have to trigger a door switch or the glass break or the motion anyway. I suppose they could steal the wheels or something else on the outside of the truck if you had no shock sensor.

#6 ·
Well my keys were sitting on my banister and guess what..... Alarm!! Three times in one day?? Anyone have any thoughts? I reallydon't want to have to keep getting up every few hours to reset my alarm.
Turn yourself in to the police, for that hit-and-run accident with the kid on the bike: You Drive | Twilight Zone | Fifth Season

:jester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.