What to connect shifter handle bottons to - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What to connect shifter handle bottons to

Quote:
WESBC previously said: View Post
BUMP!!!

I'm going to put some HID's all around, so I can no longer use the button to "flash" all my lights. I need some realistic ideas for a momentary switch.
So since I saw this thread last I bought a couple of flight control sticks that were take-offs from from A-10 warthogs (they must have been modding them ). Now I jut have to figure out how to wire it, then how to attach it to my gear shifter, and what to run with the switches. It has a china hat so if I can get a home made LLS set up it will control it from my thumb.

Would LED's work with a momentary? I would love to light people up with a trigger pull when the need arose. I don't know a ton about lights, but I assume the HID's are attached to a ballast and therefore have a delay before they fully fire-up?

Could you wire a rear window release to one of the buttons?

How hard would it be to put a toggle switch inline so you could still use it with your HID's

You could wire it to some train horns, which would be cool.

I can think of a couple of things that would require a toggle switch with it.
tantrum rock lights and other various lighting solutions for example.

I've gotta figure out what to do with 4 buttons (incl. the trigger)
The sticks I got look like used versions of this earlier post:

The bottom looks like this (crappy photo):

Sorry, I don't mean to hump your thread. I actually support it so much I am following your stellar example.

brett
2007 Black Diamond 7G edition "The Trail Bomber"

Last edited by gericurl; 02-06-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to WESBC
(Thread Starter)
Re: What to connect shifter handle bottons to

I've got a switch on the top as well, but it is a on/off side to side switch. I don't think it would work too well with a remote controlled light set up, even though it would be badass.

LED's should work with the momentary switch, but that's more extra money to spend. I have a friend that can hook me up with some HID's for cheap. The problem with HID's (what I've heard) is that they take a bit to power up all the way, about 10 seconds. And one typically should not "flick" them on as it would eventually damage the ballasts.

As for the window release, I got a Gobi ladder in the back so that's a no go. And I already got the alternate train horn button to the other momentary switch.

Also what do you mean by wiring a toggle switch inline, what application would that be used for?

BTW, that's a cool looking control stick. Man if I had 4 buttons + the trigger I would have no idea what to wire them too I would end up with a lot of novelty stuff.. but then again that's what i have now. The bottom looks so complex, you have a schematic of what goes with what? I ended up tearing mines apart and rewiring each individual switch.

Oh and no worries about thread humping, its all good

EDIT:
So from the last time I got everything wired up, there was a problem with running the wires through the shifter box. The wires eventually wore through and every time I shifted into reverse, my train horns would sound... I know, not good when I was leaving to go to my morning class. I pulled the fuse and later on rewired it again to come out the side and into the hole that I originally drilled into. Not as sleek looking, but no chance of scaring the crap out of me when I am half awake and leaving for school.

Last edited by WESBC; 02-06-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: update

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in