Rough Country or Tuff Country 3" Lift? Need to decide by tomorrow - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rough Country or Tuff Country 3" Lift? Need to decide by tomorrow

I'm stuck in between Tuff country and Rough country lift kits. Want to buy some 285 70 17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and needs some extra clearance. Only do light off-roading (mudding / beach / and dirt/rocky trails up in the mountains) and the FJ is my daily driver.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

or

Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2010 - Lift Kit - Tuff Country EZ-Ride

rough country also offers this kit which offers "Luxury ride coil springs", though I'm not sure if it is really worth the extra money. Any opinions?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

Trying to decide by tomorrow morning so I can give the shop the go ahead to order the tires and kit. Going to be gone the next week and would like to have it done before I leave.

Really appreciate any help guys. Trying to spend under 1500 for the tires, kit, and labor. If you have a better kit that might suit my needs, I'm all ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: Rough Country or Tuff Country 3" Lift? Need to decide by tomorrow

Well, since they are all spacer lifts they are all about the same. I would get the RC, but get the one with the springs for the rear and not the spacers. That way when your spacer lift trashes your ball joints a year down the road, your rear will be good to go with a front upgrade. At least that's how I did it. Good luck on your choice!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post
Well, since they are all spacer lifts they are all about the same. I would get the RC, but get the one with the springs for the rear and not the spacers. That way when your spacer lift trashes your ball joints a year down the road, your rear will be good to go with a front upgrade. At least that's how I did it. Good luck on your choice!
And this is what is keeping me on edge

Is there another option that would give me a 3" lift but for under $600? Just having a hard time justifying spending the extra money when I don't do serious offroading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
MikeEagle12 previously said: View Post
And this is what is keeping me on edge

Is there another option that would give me a 3" lift but for under $600? Just having a hard time justifying spending the extra money when I don't do serious offroading
If your just looking for a budget lift I still say the RC is the best way to go. Any lift regardless of type or manufacture needs aftermarket UCA's to get the upper ball joint back to a more neutral position. I have Camburg's on mine, the kind that takes the factory ball joint. I think they are about $350 a pair. It's something you could put off for a while, just keep an eye on your ball joints. It would also be one less thing to upgrade when you out grow the spacer lift.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 AM

I put the 3" rough country lift kit in mine, and have had no issues at all, and have had great compliments on the lift.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i'll share the same thing i said in another spacer lift the other day. yes, they will lift the vehicle, and you can squeeze the tires in down there, but at the end of the day, they suck. eventually you're more than likely going to want a suspension lift. save yourself a few hundred bucks, and wait a little bit, all the while saving, and get what you'll want in a year, now. just my $.02.

Chris

"It's lonely being a cannibal. Tough making friends."

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser, Auto, 4wd, Toytec Ultimate 3" lift, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, TheToyOutfitters LCA, Procomp Series 87 Steelies Painted White, 285/75 R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, Trail Gear Sliders, TheToyOutfitters Custom Front Bumper, Snorkel, Outrider Lower Link Armor
www.TRDParts4U.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Forum Regular

pro comp offers suspension lift for $476, free shipping.
Pro Comp Toyota, Pro Comp Toyota Suspension Lift Kits, Toyota Lift Kit, Pro Comp Suspension Lift, 4 Wheel Online Offers Pro Comp Toyota Suspension Kits.
Fits your price range you quoted.

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - Hunter S. Thompson

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to TitaniumTonka

I have the Tuff Country on mine becuase i only do light off roading as well... and my FJ is my daily driver.. i have no issues after 6 monthes with stock size tires. ball joints are still in great shape and have no complaints... plus for $300 and 4 hours of my time to install... it was well worth it.

2008 Silver FJ- 3" OME 885's (medium) Front, 3" Tuff Country Spacer Lift Rear, XD Series Hoss 16x8 Wheels, Airaide CAI, Jet Performance Throttle Body Spacer, Bandi mount, Cobra 25LTD CB Radio, Demello Single Hoop Winch bumper, Smittybuilt XRC-8 Winch, 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Grappler AT's. hi-lift jack, homemade hi-lift mount, tube doors, demello hybrid stage 3 kick out sliders w/ mesh insert.

SHAKE AND BAKE!
NO SACRIFICE, NO VICTORY
www.TRDParts4U.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

Lifetime Supporting Member

Don't forget your forum discount with us at Rough Country

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in