New lift, tires, wheels, UCAs, VERY DISSAPOINTED. HELP! - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: New lift, tires, wheels, UCAs, VERY DISSAPOINTED. HELP!

that's one thing I've found about modding... you get one thing, and you have to fix another thing to make the one thing work right ... uggh it's a viscous circle.

Intergalactic Planetary Invader of FJ Interwebz ~ EVIL TRUNK MONKEY

silly boy, gonna make you cry

^^^click it.. you know you wanna

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
imtheant previously said: View Post
OK all I removed the rear springs and here is what I found:

First off, both springs are 100% the same height which was one of my main concerns. As the FJ sits now, sitting on rear jack stands, the truck is perfectly level from left to right side. I had a friend put a piece of wood on top of one of the springs and sit on it to see how much compression there was, and I would get about 1/2 inch tops (simulatiing the fuel tank weight). Does it matter how I have the springs installed as far as how they are rotated? Do they need to be identical or should I try and put the highest part of the spring rotated on the drivers side and the lower part on the passenger side?

The truck looks badass but I think I am going to order the daystar 2.5/1.5 leveling kit and just sell the toytec lift. Honestly this fj is going to be a street queen and I have my old CJ7 for offroading and I want to get the old ride quality of the stock UCA's and springs back. The lift has 200 miles on it if anyone wants to purchase it from me.
There is only one position for the rear springs, you have to butt the end of the coil against the notch on the bottom spring perch. If you did not do this the first time it may be part of the problem. I thought you said you had OME springs, those are Toytech.

Bret
member of the 20%
Tropicalreflectionsdetailing.com
&
tropicalreps.com

2007 Ti, all the dealer goodies + K&N, OME suspension, FlowMaster, Nitto T.G.s 285 70 17

I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Bret; 03-20-2011 at 05:50 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
The rear suspension is pretty hard to mess up when installing.

I think your problem lies with the front suspension.

Adding aftermarket UCAs CAN give you more lift if you have way too strong of coils up front and are at full suspension droop up front while the vehicle is on the ground. The slight extra range of motion could give slightly more height, though not much.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
imtheant previously said: View Post
After spending 3 months searching the forum, I finally bought a new 2010 and dropped $3000 on:

18x9 liquid metal gatlin wheels

295/65/18 Duratracs

Toytec 3" lift (the one with OME springs front and rear, not the ultimate)

Light Racing Upper Control Arms

Installed all parts and went to the shop to have an alignment done which tooks multiple tries and hours on the phone with SPC products to get the caster correct. Let the problems begin:

1# - Handlling has gone from great to crap. FJ wanders and tracks the grooves in the road while darting all over the place.

#2 - The UCA's added about an inch of additional lift which I didnt want, so now the truck slopes down to the rear and looks silly

#3 The drivers side rear sits a full inch lower than the passenger side

I am seriously ready to scrap all of it and go back to stock unless someone can offer me some advice.
I am open to any suggestions. This is my daily driver for about 25K miles a year and it needs to be right. Should I scrap the toytec and go to a smaller, spacer lift like the daystar? Any suggestions are appreciated.
I will address your numbered items before I make any more comments.

#1 Your tire choice is likely responsible for following groves in the road. Some tires do it badly. I hear that the more square the corner of the tire is, the worse they follow the groves. If I remember correctly, the Duratrac is pretty square on the corners.

#2 Unless you put the UCA on the wrong sides and have the front suspension in a terrible bind, it is very unlikely that this happened.

#3 It did when it was stock too. That's where your gas tank is. It won't do it that badly when the tank is empty. They all do it.

Now to my other comments... I've heard a lot of people that are not happy with Toytec lift components. You might look into either getting a premium lift, like Icon or SAW, or going to a tried and true lift like OME.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Forum Veteran

Well? don't leave us hanging, what's the verdict?

Bret
member of the 20%
&
tropicalreps.com

2007 Ti, all the dealer goodies + K&N, OME suspension, FlowMaster, Nitto T.G.s 285 70 17

I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

-Thomas Jefferson
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular

Suggestion. You might try the straight OME 884/895E lift my guess is you already have the correct shocks, It gave me slightly over 2" lift in front and 2.5"-3" in rear. NO wandering issues, NO need to replace UCA.

Major improvement in ride quality and appearance but still very realistic for daily driver, springs are not too stiff.

If you take this route I also suggest buying the 5mm OME shim for drivers front it offsets the lean nicely.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
JayFF previously said: View Post
Suggestion. You might try the straight OME 884/895E lift my guess is you already have the correct shocks, It gave me slightly over 2" lift in front and 2.5"-3" in rear. NO wandering issues, NO need to replace UCA.

Major improvement in ride quality and appearance but still very realistic for daily driver, springs are not too stiff.

If you take this route I also suggest buying the 5mm OME shim for drivers front it offsets the lean nicely.
I agree, this combo would work nicely. From the original post i thought that was close to the set up the O.P. had until I saw the pic of the rear springs.

Bret
member of the 20%
&
tropicalreps.com

-Thomas Jefferson

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in