I am really starting to hate my LR UCAs. - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: I am really starting to hate my LR UCAs.

In some respects, slip is not a bad thing...consider how many folks have bent their spindles. That slip might be acting like a fuze. I would rather have a part slip, that I can reposition and re-tighten, rather than have to replace a part.

It is hard to tell, maybe you are hitting them harder than you realize to cause them to slip?

Good luck, but I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

over 3 years on mine no problems.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Detective

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all of the help. I think I have decided to pick up some new control arms. The FJ is going into the shop for a custom bumper in the next few days and I think at the same time I will have them upgrade the UCA's.

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
Personally I would go with the uniball over balljoint for a number of reasons that have been highlighted in other threads. Never been a fan of the LR UCA's, but most seem to love them for their price.
I honestly cant remember why I was so dead set on a ball joint in the first place; it was probably more of the price of the light racing ones that attracted me to them. I will most likely pick up a new set that utilizes a uniball design.

Quote:
Fjamming previously said: View Post
Are you talking about the part where it connects to the shock tower or the adjustments? If it's to the shock tower, you can put another nut in there. Loctite it red as well. Draw a line through the 2 nuts so you can do a quick visual check to see if anything moved. Icruiser cued me to this and I thought I'd share.
Mine is slipping where the adjustment nut is, but none-the-less that is a good tip.

Quote:
Briareos previously said: View Post
In some respects, slip is not a bad thing...consider how many folks have bent their spindles. That slip might be acting like a fuze. I would rather have a part slip, that I can reposition and re-tighten, rather than have to replace a part.

I actually thought the same thing the first time it happened. However the past few times it has happened I have did not hit anything hard. Just lots of crawling over rocks, running on washed out trails, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Were you in town on Friday the 25th? I saw a few lifted FJ's there, you wouldn't have seen me since I was driving a highlander at the time.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Detective

(Thread Starter)

^^Yes I was in Moab, Thursday the 24th - Sunday the 27th.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had the same problem with mine. Last year at Moab both sides slipped in all the way. Some guys in the group I was with noticed it first. They thought I had broken both spindles. It happened on Monday before the Summit. Here's the video where I assume it happened (it's still a little painful for me to watch)

I didn't have any jack stands and I couldn't get in to any of the shops in town and had to drive to Grand Junction with the camber and consequently everything else out of alignment. Made the drive very interesting. They finally got it fixed (that's a whole other story) and I haven't had any problems since. I made it through Summit including Poughkeepsie Gulch as well as the Lonestar Toyota Jamboree. I obviously hit pretty hard (see video above.) I haven't hit anything that hard since. I also painted mine and do wonder if that isn't part of the problem.

I think I will hold on to mine for now, but I keep an eye on the spacing. We'll see.

Last edited by drcaduceus; 03-29-2011 at 03:39 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to fjessence

Mike, one of the socal fj members had LR UCAs on her rig and they kept slipping, so toytec replaced them, and then the new ones slipped, so they replaced them again, and since then they have been fine. Maybe there is a bad batch or something, I would contact toytec if that is who you purchased the UCAs from.

"Sand Ronin" 08' Sandstorm FJC
TRD Supercharged, Demello 3 hoop front bumper with Acro fogs and 22" LED bar, Demello 3 piece rear bumper with Acro fogs, 50" Curved OZUSA LED bar with Trailworx Fab A-Pillar mounts, Demello Hybrid sliders, All Pro engine skid, Fox 2.5" coilovers with reservoirs, Fox 2.0" rear shocks with reservoirs, 17" KMC Hoss wheels w 285 BFG KM2s

Sand Ronin Build Thread

-Sang
DO Rocks!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Detective

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
fjessence previously said: View Post
Mike, one of the socal fj members had LR UCAs on her rig and they kept slipping, so toytec replaced them, and then the new ones slipped, so they replaced them again, and since then they have been fine. Maybe there is a bad batch or something, I would contact toytec if that is who you purchased the UCAs from.
I forgot about that. I actually talked to her when I was getting ready to install mine and posted a thread if anyone had any problems with the LR UCA. You had directed to me to her back then as well.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-problems.html

I think it is more of a design flaw than anything else. I know some have torqed the he!! out of them, but I am concerned about having that much stress on the threads of the ball joint. I know over tightening can be just as, if not more, dangerous than under torqing them. I know a lot of people have had good luck with them, and the only other issue I have heard about them is from bobonel. I think they will work well for most, but I have lost faith...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
I'm not sure why people make the uniball sound like it need hours of maintenance monthly or weekly for that matter. I spray mine (Camburg Uniball) once every 6 months with grease and I'm set to go, nothing that isn't DD about them.
For real! I've had my ICON UCA's since Sept. '09 and do the same maintenance schedule as you do. No squeaking or anything.

2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja
1974 Suzuki TS 250

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in