Replacement CV axle - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Re: Replacement CV axle

Knuckles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
scottyms previously said: View Post
I carry a A1Cardone spare, think it was $68 bucks with tax... It looks exactly like the OEM one that was replaced under warranty... weaker you say? maybe but it will get you off the trail, if you carry the right tools... and just as a tip, you dont have to drain the diff if you lift the broke side up high enough all the gear lube runs to the other side... The cage in the outboard joint is what usualy breaks. Now If you have an auto trans, or a front locker in a manual, you can remove the out board cv joint and axle and leave the in board "cup" stuck in the diff if you don't have a spare. the inboard joint just slips together, the boot is the only thing that keeps it from falling appart when its out of the truck..

it's not that bad a job, i can do it on the trail in about 45 min. hardest part is getting the old one to pop out of the diff, or if its stuck in the wheel hub...

scotty
For popping the axle out of the dif...
Make yourself a cable noose and use a 2 pound dead blow on one end in an eyelet and noose the other end around the inner axle housing,(where the inner seal is) and the axle pops right out
The cable noose needs to be about 30 inches, I think . It just needs to be long enough to be able to use it like a slide hammer outside the fenderwell. I I keep it in my trial tool bag. It takes up no room and saves a bunch of B.S under the truck, in the dirt.
I made one and popped axles out in seconds
It may take a minute or two, off your 45 minute time.

"The Rock"
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Wikid previously said: View Post
For popping the axle out of the dif...
Make yourself a cable noose and use a 2 pound dead blow on one end in an eyelet and noose the other end around the inner axle housing,(where the inner seal is) and the axle pops right out
The cable noose needs to be about 30 inches, I think . It just needs to be long enough to be able to use it like a slide hammer outside the fenderwell. I I keep it in my trial tool bag. It takes up no room and saves a bunch of B.S under the truck, in the dirt.
I made one and popped axles out in seconds
It may take a minute or two, off your 45 minute time.
Do you happen to have a picture of this set-up?

2007 Silver Titanium, AT, TRD CAI/SuperCharger, 4.56 gears, ARB Front Locker, ARB front and rear bumpers, WARN 8000 winch, Full Ricochet Skids, Total Chaos 2"LT/MetalTech rear LT, AllPro Sliders, AllPro Airdam, Fourtreks mounts, Highlift Extreme, MPAC rear and side, Powertank, Dirty Part's Dual Battery kit, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 295/70/17, and a bunch of other stuff to get me where I want to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Kinda hard to see, but you can see the general principle. under ten bucks from home depot

"The Rock"
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Wikid previously said: View Post
Kinda hard to see, but you can see the general principle. under ten bucks from home depot

Thanks. I 've got some stuff around the house I'll add to my toolbox. Like the ingenuity.

2007 Silver Titanium, AT, TRD CAI/SuperCharger, 4.56 gears, ARB Front Locker, ARB front and rear bumpers, WARN 8000 winch, Full Ricochet Skids, Total Chaos 2"LT/MetalTech rear LT, AllPro Sliders, AllPro Airdam, Fourtreks mounts, Highlift Extreme, MPAC rear and side, Powertank, Dirty Part's Dual Battery kit, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 295/70/17, and a bunch of other stuff to get me where I want to go.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in