Toytech Ultimate Lift Owners - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Toytech Ultimate Lift Owners

I finished up the 1" body lift this weekend.... I said last time I did a body lift I would never do another one and this time I really mean it.

That was quite a bit of work for 1". Plus mine is a 2012 and the kits are only for 09 and older, so there was some hurdles to over come. The good news is the fan shroud did not need to be cut! But every body mount and pipe spacer did below the frame mount. I had to take 1" out of them to get the bolts to go through. Longer bolts would have been best, but worked just the same. I am also pleased that there are no body gaps in the front or rear bumpers. Front was moved up one set of holes and I added a bracket to bridge the inner hole. The rear moved up with no issues as well.

On to the suspension. I bought the toytech ultimate with LR UCA's. There are several setting in the paper work for the upper control arms, and if I recall correct setting "D" is close to factory. What did you use for your intinal setting before the alignment? I plan to run +/- 400 miles or about a week before alignment and don't want to eat 2000 miles of tread since Discount will give tire trade in credit to the new Nitto's.

Also did you measure and crank yours up to the full 3" or leave at the factory 2 1/2" setting? I know you need measure, install, drive to settle, measure and crank up if desired untill you reach the max of 3". I would like the front even to a little higher then the back.....

2012 FJ 4x4 - Mods so far Steelcraft grill guard, Tail Light Guards, Spidertraxx spacers (not installed). Mods to go - TT 3" Ultimate w/ UCA's, 33x12.5 tires (undecided brand) on stock wheels, Roof light rack and the list keeps growing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Since you got the 2012 1" body lift down, when you wanna do mine? lol

Big Daddy Cool Sent this.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Toytech Ultimate Lift Owners

I used the "D" with the ball joint pulled all the way to the outer end of the oval for my initial setting and I don't think they had to be move to get it back to factory specs.

As for the coil-over adjustment, a friend of mine "loosened" them prior to installing them and I don't know the exact setting he went to, but the front was still lower. SO, recently, I adjusted them and I now have 1.75" of threads showing and I am sitting level and I have an aftermarket bumper with a winch.

I forget what toytec says, but I don't think it is a 1":1" ratio of threads showing to actual lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Doxdozer - I will come drink beer and give moral support

captinmo - Thanks. I figured that "D" would work. The plan is to make small adjustments until get there on lift.... I was very suprised at the size of the control arms. Looking at pics on line is one thing, when you open the box they are huge. I am thinking the same for the lift. I have searched through 100's of pages of lift pics, but when your done and standing beside it, that is when you get the full effect...

2012 FJ 4x4 - Mods so far Steelcraft grill guard, Tail Light Guards, Spidertraxx spacers (not installed). Mods to go - TT 3" Ultimate w/ UCA's, 33x12.5 tires (undecided brand) on stock wheels, Roof light rack and the list keeps growing!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)

Congrats on the body lift being installed! Fun huh?

I cranked my Toytecs to the full 3" which left my front ~1/4" higher than the back in the end. When I added my ARB on the front, it dropped about 1/8" so I'm pretty close to level now.

On my LR UCAs, I pulled the ball joint all the way to the outside and then back towards the engine 1/8". This is the setting I found that most recommended. The alignment guy was impressed since both ended up at 0.00 degrees of camber. It's also very easy to adjust once on the truck. If the tires look like they're leaning in or out compared to the back tires, just jack up the truck, loosen the 1.25" nut on top and push or pull the wheel in to where it looks right, then re-torque.

Also, don't forget to update your signature for the new body lift! You don't want all that work going unnoticed...

Black 07 6MT Blacked out including roof
Speedrye front bumper, Ricochet under, stock rear
Lighting by TRS, Rigid, Baja Designs & a Chinese sweatshop
Audio by JVC, Infinity, Alpine, Boston, MB Quart
17x9 Liquid Metal Gatlins in black wrapped in Kumho 315/70-17 MT's
Toyota Rock Rails, Toyoutfitters links, URD shifter, Engo 12K synthetic
Toytec/Bilstein/OME suspension lift
Light Racing UCAs and a 4crawler 1.25" body lift
Uniden Pro520XL CB w/ 3' Firestiks up front
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I did a 3" body lift on my old 2001 Ford F150 with a Fabtech 7.5" suspension lift few years ago. Said I would never do another, but in the name of modification fell prey to the FJ body lift

Just a note to the fellow FJ owners out there. The tail pipe on your truck is sharp as hell! Was laying on the ground under to truck and went to get up by swinging my leg up when it went across the end of the tail pipe. 4" gash over 1/4" deep in my knee.... needed stitches, but did not want to stop working on the truck due to time limits.

If I am replacing the UCA's, do I skip un-bolting the LCA's as per the instruction and do everything from the top?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Congrats on the 1" body lift! When I did mine, it took half a day and I had to cut my fan shroud. Enjoy the body lift and the new suspension!

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in