Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Squeaky front suspension

30K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Stormer 
#1 · (Edited)
Squeaky front suspension *SOLVED*

I installed some Icon coilovers awhile back and ever since then I have had a squeak in my front end that only seems to get worse and worse.

It's so bad now that any flex in the front suspension at all causes a very loud squeak that can only be described as what an old box spring mattress sounds like if you can remember those. ;)

I can't really pinpoint it, but it seems to be coming from the control arm bushings. I have stock control arms.

I've tried lubing the bushings with silicone spray repeatedly but it doesn't seem to help at all.

Any advice?

#2 · (Edited)
edited: I used to get a gnarly squeak from the ball joint from my stock UCA's. Turn your wheel to the side then take a look at black rubber boot and check for cracks. It is quite common and the grease runs out.

If that "is" the issue. What I did was to get a grease gun with a tiny needle tip that would fit in the crack and shot new grease in. That solved my squeak.

#6 ·
I checked the boots on the ball joints and they look alright. I went ahead and soaked everything again with the spray. Still squeaking like hell. I wish I could stick an ear to it and see exactly where it is coming from but you need the front of the FJ moving to make it squeak and those coilovers are too stout too move it much by hand. .

#8 ·
Its either UCA, shock itself, or sway bar.

Can you reproduce the sound by putting your weight on/off the bumper?
You can easily disconnect the sway bar (without removing it) to see if it is the sway bar.

I haven't heard of very many people having the stock UCA squeak, due to what they are made of. Ball joints don't seem to be prone to squeaking, nor do the rubber bushings Toyota uses.

Also, may want to take a read at these threads:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/124916-icon-squeak.html

In this one it turned out to be the bushing on the bottom shock mount.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/misc-technical-discussion/108512-horrible-squeaking.html

#10 ·
I've been under the FJ for the past couple of hours. I disconnected the sway bar, lubed the hell out of everything and it's still squeaking. In fact, it's gotten about 10X louder.

From underneath it sounds like the squeak is coming from the lower control arm. I can't really tell if it's the bushing or ball joint, but I'm pretty sure, it's the LCA.

Of course, a sound like that is hard to pinpoint.

#11 ·
Im having the same problem although mine is making a different sound. I recently had a 5.5" ProComp lift installed proffesionally and ever since it makes a sound like there is something loose on the front drivers side. I only hear it when I drive over a bump so I checked the shock to see if it was loose but it was not. The kit uses the stock front shocks which are Bilsteins and the only have 500 miles on them since the Fj is a 2012 TT. I can't find anything that seems loose, thought that it may just need to be broke in more. It's a 100 mile drive one way just to take it back and have them look at it, and thats after you schedule an appointment two weeks earlier. Has anyone had this same issue after a lift was installed?

cptate

#12 ·
try removing the bottom bolt of the shock, greasing that joint and putting it back together.

Reactions: 66LUX and kiwi
#18 ·
What did he win????????????:clap::lol:
glad you got your squeek out!!
Jax':wave:

#14 ·
I've never lubricated those bushings. Some lubricants will actually break down the material used in the bushing. If I ever used anything it was a dry lube from PB Blaster I got at Home Depot.

If its not the sway bar rubbing, it either the bushing being affected by the petroleum product being used on it or the bolts may be over torqued. All I can think of.

#15 · (Edited)
Finally had the FJ worked on this week.

Added ICON Upper Control Arms and I was going to have the lower bushings replaced.

Then I get a call from the shop, telling me that didn't need to replace the control arm bushings. That the squeak was coming from the rod eye on the bottom of the ICON shock.

They got in there and lubed that point and poof, the squeak is now completely gone.

I can't believe that nothing I sprayed on it, while it was mounted on the truck was able to silence it.

#20 ·
I get a call from the shop, telling me that didn't need to replace the control arm bushings. That the squeak was coming from the rod eye on the bottom of the ICON shock.

They got in there and lubed that point and poof, the squeak is now completely gone. .
Did you ever find and fix it I'm having the same problem?
He answered above......

#16 ·
Finally found what the problem was. This brass vent tube drop bracket that came in the ProComp lift kit was mounted against the front shock mount. When I would drive at slow speeds I could hear it scraping causing a squeaking sound and then when I would hit a bump it would bounce and make a thumping sound and vibrate through the chasis feeling like the front suspension was going to fall apart. I took it to the professional installer three times and they could not locate the problem so I took it to my toyota service dept. They hooked some "chasis ears" to the Fj and was able to locate the problem. It's amazing that this little bracket rubbing could cause so much sound and vibration.Glad it was not the cv joint like other thought. Oh by the way, this is a 2012 TT with less than 2000 miles on it.

Attachments

#22 ·
I would just like to say if it wasn't for this thread I would be in a mad house right now with all the squeaking my suspension has been making.
Yes, the sound came from the lower shock rod bolt. I greased it up and it's gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.