superflexy on the cheap, or more expensive if you're into that :bigthumb: - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
superflexy on the cheap, or more expensive if you're into that :bigthumb:

Version 2.0 is on page 6 with some other cool stuff too https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...igthumb-6.html

"Bilstien 5100 #24-186711 front shocks on first/second setting for the old "FJ lean" with stock springs[for easy compression to the bump-stops] and a 0.5" top plate spacer for the extra extension[see explanation in thread].
Lightracing upper control arms to clear the spring at full droop[see alignment tips in thread, but basically zero everything after shifting the wheel forward for 35s]
Metaltech 19.25" medium rear springs
Pro-Comp 29.77" long shocks with 12.68" of travel at the shock out back. ES9000 #929510 mounted as seen on page one with pro-comp 600020 lower bushing, these do contact the lower link and axle housing under full articulation.
1.5" rectangle tube bump stop spacers out back, this and the Spidertrax spacers keep the top of the tires off the top of the wheel well at full tire stuff.
Extended rear brake lines,
Extended: wheel speed sensor lines, diff lock actuator lines via existing slack in lines and brackets, pulled existing slack down on the front lines
Removed: both anti-sway bars, both e-brake line frame side brackets.

A set of 1.25" Spidertrax spacers set the track width out further to help a little too.[offset and alignment are the key to 35s]

all in all, about $1250 + tires[315/70r17 Hankook MT]"

thought the first page needed a better picture to look at and quicker access to the parts list, great to see people taking numbers!

stock springs and little to no lift up front, bump-stop contact on the front A-arms is key.

Old initial post starts again>>>

so i noticed most of the kits out there are sold with rear shocks that are 2 inches shorter than need be and i've never been one for kits anyway. I should say some of them are pretty damn good, like if you want to run 35s then just go get the metal tech long travel rear kit that ****s perfect for 35s. if you're running a smaller tire then adding three inches to the rear bump stops is a pretty heavy price to pay for a 28.5" shock.

speaking of travel only, The front doesn't really matter much beyond matching the spring rate or preload to the weight of the vehicle. I'm running Bilstein 5100s on the 4th setting with the stock spring and no swaybar. $200.

The Rear is a Toytec super flex spring(many of you have this already) with a Procomp ES9000 #926514 , 26.79 inches long with 11.23 inches of travel. no rear sway bar. extended rear brake lines. no need for a limit strap. $180 spring + $100 shocks +$70 brake lines

for better quality the OME LTR shock at 26.23 inches and 11 inches of travel, can be used with very similar results. These have remote reservoirs and run about $250 apiece, IIRC they are designated for the 80 series land cruiser as are the pro-comps i'm using.

about $550 and no sway bars is enough to cover a 2.5" lift and lots of flex.

The rear fully extends with all stock arms and compresses to the bump stop, the front is just onto the bump stop here also, i'll have to see about getting it there sooner later this year.

good luck and go hang a tire below the body of you FJ

and i just wanted to post these again, two of the best posts on this forum...

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ar-shocks.html

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ion-guide.html

Lifting does not remove the body mount from the path the tire takes through the wheel well. Lifting does not move that path around the body mount. Lifting only sets the starting point of that path partially below the body mount giving the illusion of clearance. Only alignment can change that path, otherwise clearance is all body mount chop and BFH.

07' Titanium Silver 5at 4x2
10' Silver Fresco 6mt 4x4 - Build Thread
05' Black G35 6mt
13' Silver FR-S auto-x toy
XX' some color 6mt...

Last edited by jtmroczk; 02-19-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: picture and parts list moved to the front page; 2018 year of FJ #3 for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
re: superflexy on the cheap, or more expensive if you're into that :bigthumb:

What is the compressed length on the toytech superflex coils?

post #3 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

you mean the free length? 16.875 inches

Lifting does not remove the body mount from the path the tire takes through the wheel well. Lifting does not move that path around the body mount. Lifting only sets the starting point of that path partially below the body mount giving the illusion of clearance. Only alignment can change that path, otherwise clearance is all body mount chop and BFH.

05' Black G35 6mt
XX' some color 6mt...

Last edited by jtmroczk; 01-13-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: 16.875" verified meaurement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Old Man Emu NitroCharger Shock Absorbers -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

I never knew OME made a LTR shock until I read this thread .

-BILL-
2007 FJ Mt
post #5 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
jtmroczk previously said: View Post
you mean the free length? 17 inches
No the compressed length. Free gives you your max droop. Compressed tells you bumped. Can work the shock specs from there. Was just curious to how the compressed and extended length of the shock match the spring

post #6 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

About one more coil than stock springs, 5/8th inch per coil at 8 coils is 5" at coil bind, but you'll get to the bump bump stops before that. whats interesting is I could potentially use a longer shock with a rear coil spacer, but i'd have to look into axle and trailing arm contact and other more difficult questions.

05' Black G35 6mt
XX' some color 6mt...

Last edited by jtmroczk; 10-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.
post #7 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

The other side of that is to measure the space between the bump stops and the space between the shock mounts and verify that there is less space between the bump stops than the difference between the partially compressed shock and compressed length of the shock. Then you have numbers for full compression and a rough number for checking articulation clearance, you need to check the same measurements at maximum angle of articulation. That's the part I assumed was ok and checked on the RTI ramp. I'll have to look at the numbers again to see how much further I can go.

^that's taking measurements four wheels down on level ground.

05' Black G35 6mt
XX' some color 6mt...

Last edited by jtmroczk; 10-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.
post #8 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

mounting the Pro Comps:

Top stem mount:
new bushing come with the pro-comps i only used the top ones, i used the stock bottom mounts as pictured below.

The bottom eyelet mount: use two washers per side
There is a 3/4" bushing provided with the shocks, you'll need to grease it inordet to mount it in place of the smaller bushing that's per-installed. I also picked up a two large washers ID 3/4", OD ~2.5", width ~3/8", i ground the OD down to about 1.25" and used it as a spacer installed first, in order to spacer the shock out from the mount bracket on the axle housing. The Pro-Comps are a little portly and the lower mount is a little small, the small spacer took care of both issues very nicely.

^looking at the picture now, two spacers would probably be better than one, that bolt is tight.

05' Black G35 6mt
XX' some color 6mt...

Last edited by jtmroczk; 01-13-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: easier, better mounting.
post #9 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
About one more coil than stock springs, 5/8th inch per coil at 8 coils is 5" at coil bind, but you'll get to the bump bump stops before that. whats interesting is I could potentially use a longer shock with a rear coil spacer, but i'd have to look into axle and trailing arm contact and other more difficult questions.
Interesting I would have thought the compressed height of the spring would have been more. 12" travel out of the spring is nearly identical to the metal tech spring.

Keep in mind your bump stops will fully compress all the way at a significant load. That's why they don't tell you much, just that they should stop the axle before coil bind. Just the point that they engage. Also need to make sure your tires don't make friends with the fender well before bump anyways.

Quote:
The other side of that is to measure the space between the bump stops and the space between the shock mounts and verify that there is less space between the bump stops than the difference between the partially compressed shock and compressed length of the shock. Then you have numbers for full compression and a rough number for checking articulation clearance, you need to check the same measurements at maximum angle of articulation. That's the part I assumed was ok and checked on the RTI ramp. I'll have to look at the numbers again to see how much further I can go.

^that's taking measurements four wheels down on level ground.
You'll need to work back through the triangles though cause the axle 1" from the bump stop does not equate to 1" left of your shock due to the motion ratio. Just thought I'd clarify that for anyone reading.

Spot on though and really good insight for some decent articulation. Great writeup

post #10 of 329 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
Interesting I would have thought the compressed height of the spring would have been more. 12" travel out of the spring is nearly identical to the metal tech spring.
the Metaltech spring is suppose to be 19" and it has 10.5 ~ 11 coils, its the proximity of the top coils that reduce it compression so much. Shocks are of parallel unequal design when comparing extension and compression alone. It would take quite a bit of force to get it to 5 inches, IIRC its like 285lbs/inch.

Quote:
Keep in mind your bump stops will fully compress all the way at a significant load. That's why they don't tell you much, just that they should stop the axle before coil bind. Just the point that they engage. Also need to make sure your tires don't make friends with the fender well before bump anyways.
I disagree about the ability of those bump stops to compress, i can't imagine them compressing 50%. < and most of that from the slit cut in the bottom of them, those things are little rocks and i feel it every time i come down on them.

The coils location inside of the shocks makes sure that the maximum compression of the spring can only occur while the axle is compressed evenly from both sides. Under articulation and on the bump stop the springs compression is a trigonometric factor of it perpendicular compression, ensuring articulation compression of a shock always results in less spring compression than equal compression of both shocks to the same level.

Quote:
You'll need to work back through the triangles though cause the axle 1" from the bump stop does not equate to 1" left of your shock due to the motion ratio. Just thought I'd clarify that for anyone reading.
I want to work back through the angles as i was expecting to have to run about a 1" bump stop extension, so i want to figure out where i was wrong there. The angle of the axle to truck in the RTI ramp picture isn't very much, maybe 30ish degrees so the extra compression on the shock will be pretty small since it mounts so close to the location of contact with the bump stop.

I need to get it onto an RTI ramp that is more stable, my help was afraid for his life LOL, but seriously that **** moved and its leaning in the picture...

Definitely appreciate the conversation, I'm not one for writing this stuff down its more fun talking through it all

05' Black G35 6mt
XX' some color 6mt...

Last edited by jtmroczk; 10-16-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in