Installed Bilstein 5100's Now getting a metallic grind during right hand Turns - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Installed Bilstein 5100's Now getting a metallic grind during right hand Turns

Hey everyone, new to the forum just picked up a used 2007 FJ 6MT with 91K on it 3 weeks ago have...since then i changed the plugs, brakes all around (rotors and pads), flushed all fluids and recently upgraded the shocks the whole way around to 5100's (Front set on 3rd notch) i had the same shocks on my 2011 Tundra that i traded in for the FJ and never had any issues. That being said now i'm getting what sounds like a slight metallic rubbing primarily when i take right turns (when the weight is on the driver-side front wheel). I should mention that during the install of the shocks there was a good bit of prying and pulling to get the shocks in (they originally put the shock support on upside down making it near impossible to compress spring). I already checked the heat shield on the back of the rotor and it's clearing everything, no rub marks or anything on the rotor, i'm at a complete loss for words...any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: Braking doesn't affect the noise (worse or better), turning left makes it go away, going straight only slightly makes the noise. Did inspect all links/bushings/CV nothing obvious and it doesn't do it all the time, sometimes you never hear it sometimes it does it every time you turn the wheel to the right of center.

Last edited by Dazednconfused4w; 05-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Installed Bilstein 5100's Now getting a metallic grind during right hand Turns

Photos of the area where the noise is coming from could help. Did you go to larger tires? You may be rubbing the sway bar on the coils since most alignment shops compensate one side with more caster to account to road crown.

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Installed Bilstein 5100's Now getting a metallic grind during right hand Turns

welcome

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

"Photos of the area where the noise is coming from could help. Did you go to larger tires? You may be rubbing the sway bar on the coils since most alignment shops compensate one side with more caster to account to road crown."

I will get some in the AM, i haven't installed the new tires yet still have the factory 265/70/17's installed, shop never did an alignment as we were waiting on the new tires to come in, drives straight as an arrow and no noticeable camber issues. Did however notice today that after i ran it through a car wash the squeal went away, for a little while, took it back to the shop they sprayed some lithium grease on the CV boot and it actually helped a bit, they said sometimes the boots can rub and create a squeal? Never heard of such a thing, picked up a new CV shaft tonight though might throw it in to try it out see if it helps, was only $50.

Thanks Lmmmm this forum is excellent, even better than the Tundra forum i belonged too!

2007 Voodoo Blue 6MT FJ, Bilstein 5100's, Aries Brush Guard, Tail light Guards, Scanguage II.

Last edited by Dazednconfused4w; 05-10-2013 at 08:26 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

sounds more like a wheel bearing issue?

Other cars will get you somewhere, but a Land Cruiser will always get you home.
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2017 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2015 Ducati Monster 1200
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

Welcome .....Don't turn right !! ..... No that's out of my system..... This is a couple of ideas , with the prying and force any chance you bent or dented the back plate ,back side of the rotor?? Option (b) most likely ....your wheel bearing is shot and the wear has the rotor possibly rubbing on said back plate.
Jack up the wheel so that the weight is off check for any wheel movement other than spinning.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in