Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2012 3 inch lift questions

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  WILSON 
#1 ·
Hello all , new tires have worn and now I can justify to myself lifting it but im undecided what to go with Ive searched and searched and I feel more confused. its a daily drive and will wheel in mostly trail with moderate obstacles so .....

Looking at two lifts the procomp 3inch due to cost but I see it will fit my year on some sites others say no. The other is the ultimate toy tech 3 inch / with possible toytech 1 inch body lift and diff drop - Need opinions

I also want to get a set of TRD RIMS - Need to know the largest tire size that will give me overall best performance and look with the 3 inch lift

While Im in there I will complete the BMC just so I don't have to do it later.

So if any one with any experience on lifting these please help :bigthumb:

Ive been modding my 71 FJ40 for years and Im out of the loop for these new rigs

#2 ·
The ToyTec is a great lift and will definitely cover all your bases. The 1" spacer will put a bit more stress on your factory parts however. It's all preference really.
As far as wheels, all 17" will fit but 16" are hit or miss. The main issue is the 16" not clearing the brake calipers. Between a 16" and 17" rim, there's not much difference. 16" will give you more sidewall but will be heavier with the tires in the long run.

#6 ·
Generally its not needed on a 3" lift. Yes it lessens the angle on your CVs which, but generally they aren't that extreme with a 3" lift. While it may lessen the angle it tends to create more plunge on the CV since you are moving the pivot points of the dif and not the rest rest of the suspension. More plunge = more heat generated and shorter life span for CVs.

Unless you are really jacking up the three inch lift it shouldn't be needed.

#12 ·
Go toytec 3in ultimate without the diff drop. Go 17in wheels stock with 285/75/17 bfgs. No BMC and excellent clearance and looks. Check out my other treads on here. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
I am going with the OME lift and currently have 305/70-16 DuraTracs on order. I am getting the body mount chopped as well. I wanted more width while not really going above a 33 inch tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.