What's The Second Best Way to Level The Front End? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question What's The Second Best Way to Level The Front End?

Due to the parking garage at my work only being 6'7", and my FJ being my only vehicle, I can't lift my FJ any time soon. But what I would like to do is level out the front to get rid of the forward rake and get a little more clearance up front. My origional plan was to get Bilstein 5100s up front to accomplish this. Well after origionally ordering them in January, and having gotten the run around from a dozen different vendors for the past few months, I have given up on this idea. Apparently Bilstein has moved factories and all of their 5100s are on a long back order. The process of trying to find them has been so frustrating that I don't even want them anymore.

That said, what's the second easiest/cheapest way to level the front end without sacrificing performance (i.e. no spacers)?

Stock* 2013 Iceberg 6MT FJ Cruiser
*Aftermarket parts may include, but are not limited to: Ironman Foam Cell Pro Full Suspension, Demello Aluminum Rally Bumper, Engo E9000S Winch, BFG A/T KO2 34X10.5R17, Demello Tube Sliders, RCI Skids, RCI Lower Link Armor, URD Short Throw Shifter, Hella Supertones, Lifetime LED 70W Headlights, Lifetime LED 42W Roof Lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: What's The Second Best Way to Level The Front End?

Can you lift at all?

I replaced my stock springs with aftermarket springs from Toyotec(front) and OME(back) along with some lightly used TRD shocks off of another forum member(off of a a 2010 TRD) and wow what a HUGE upgrade and the whole thing cost me about 500$ , even the girlfriend was blown away by how much nicer it drove and as a bonus I got about 1-2in of overall lift all the way around.

FYI.....I added weight up front(trail gear bumper) so my original reason for the upgrade was to level+settle and handle the extra bumper weight which was causing sag

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 05-06-2014 at 08:27 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage

Another item to consider......
Lift/level, then trim your rack down. Your avatar leads me to beleive you've got the OEM rack?
You can chop 3" off your height with the Warrior, (links below), and i'm sure the Baja rack is even lower.

Mfg page:
Platform Rack | Warrior Products

Where I got mine:
Warrior Platform Roof Rack, 11 Gauge Steel (Powder-Coat Black)

I'm never off-road... The road is where my wheels are!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^^ agree. Unload the factory rack (that'll shave off 7" immediately) and put a lift on. Then buy an aftermarket flat rack.

Or take the bus to work.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

I think I'd probably just chop the top bar off of the OEM roof rack before I bought an entirely new one, but at this time I'm not really looking to change anything with the rack right now, so a lift is off the table. I'm also trying to hold off on going down that path for the time being due to current financial limitations, because as we all know, getting a lift means getting bigger tires, and bigger tires look best with steel bumpers, and steel bumpers need a winch.... etc etc. Lol.

Right now I really just want to level the front, and deal with the rest down the road. Though I do fully intend on getting a lift eventually. That's why I'm wondering if there is a way to level the front that would be a gateway into a lift later. I looked into coilovers for the front to level, but they all seem to give the front too much of a lift since most coilovers are designed to complete a 3" lift. Does anyone know if there are coilovers I could get that would provide the 1.5" of lift in the front I need to level now, but would allow me to adjust up to 3" for a complete lift later?

*Aftermarket parts may include, but are not limited to: Ironman Foam Cell Pro Full Suspension, Demello Aluminum Rally Bumper, Engo E9000S Winch, BFG A/T KO2 34X10.5R17, Demello Tube Sliders, RCI Skids, RCI Lower Link Armor, URD Short Throw Shifter, Hella Supertones, Lifetime LED 70W Headlights, Lifetime LED 42W Roof Lights.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Subverto previously said: View Post
I think I'd probably just chop the top bar off of the OEM roof rack before I bought an entirely new one, but at this time I'm not really looking to change anything with the rack right now, so a lift is off the table. I'm also trying to hold off on going down that path for the time being due to current financial limitations, because as we all know, getting a lift means getting bigger tires, and bigger tires look best with steel bumpers, and steel bumpers need a winch.... etc etc. Lol.

Right now I really just want to level the front, and deal with the rest down the road. Though I do fully intend on getting a lift eventually. That's why I'm wondering if there is a way to level the front that would be a gateway into a lift later. I looked into coilovers for the front to level, but they all seem to give the front too much of a lift since most coilovers are designed to complete a 3" lift. Does anyone know if there are coilovers I could get that would provide the 1.5" of lift in the front I need to level now, but would allow me to adjust up to 3" for a complete lift later?
I think any adjustable coil over would let you only add 1.5 inches of lift right?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
hikeswithdogs previously said: View Post
I think any adjustable coil over would let you only add 1.5 inches of lift right?
That's what I'm not sure about. I admittedly know nothing about adjustable coilovers. But everywhere I looked during my brief research advertised the adjustable coilovers as providing 3" of lift.

Last edited by Subverto; 05-06-2014 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)

That's a good question, you could call one of the vendors and ask, for instance call toytec and see if their coilover can be adjusted to 1.5", i think coilovers start at 2" lift, but i dont have coilovers so i dont know.
You could do the toytec springs for the front only if you had the factory bilsteins. That alone should level the front.

Fox also have a factory lift coilover, that i think would give you what you want and can be adjusted later on. Call them to find out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 SFM, M6, URD Short Shifter, Radflo 2.5 Ext CO's/650lbs springs, Toytec RCC2.0 Springs/OME 60071L, Light Racing UCA's, Skyjacker SBE702 links, Metaltech Front Bumper, Badland 12k Winch, Metaltech LCA's, Trail Gear TC Skid, AllPro HD Sliders, Allpro IFS/Trans/Lower Link Skids, Ricochet LCA skids, Boztec Diff Skid, 16" TRD Wheels, 1.25 Spidertrax , Firestone Destination MT 285/75/16, PIA 520's, Hella 700's, 3" PODs, 42" Led Bar
My Build
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mach1dsg previously said: View Post
That's a good question, you could call one of the vendors and ask, for instance call toytec and see if their coilover can be adjusted to 1.5", i think coilovers start at 2" lift, but i dont have coilovers so i dont know.
You could do the toytec springs for the front only if you had the factory bilsteins. That alone should level the front.

Fox also have a factory lift coilover, that i think would give you what you want and can be adjusted later on. Call them to find out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just from checking Toytec's site it looks like they have exactly that:

https://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com...010_p_977.html

I will call them today and make sure though.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

You should be able to go from 0" to 2.5" or up to perhaps 3" with any adjustable coil over.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in