Jounce Shocks (Chubbies) - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Jounce Shocks (Chubbies)

Quote:
shadow-warrior previously said: View Post
Thanks Larry for the info. I am looking into these myself with my DR setup. But yours and Todd's post brings a question in mind. If Todd had a problem dialing them in and Jason had a bit of a rough time doing the install, I’m a little hesitant due to finding someone that would be able to install them correctly. I understand they claim that they are “bolt on” but it sounds that this is really not the case. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. Todd did you sell your Chubby’s yet? I can’t remember if you sold them. If you haven’t PM me.
Jason did Todds first. took some time as he checked alignment on front bracket, in doing so it involved taking apart most of front end, check swing, rebuild, recheck, back apart... I had mine on right after. Trust me I was told the "fun" involved. Being these were first few, Jack and Jason have it down pat (mainly where to put the stike plate) was the pain..

As far as adjustments, it's really easy just trial and error...2 screws. Also, now with the improved strike pad (hard rubber instead of delrin) even softer and quieter.

These will REDUCE some impact, but keep in mind (AHEM) you still can't jump off a dead drop on side of a desert road, or clear a short pack of whoops you just saw an ATV come out of...

I must admit, getting a chubbie won't help you hide your bulge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Like I always tell the wife , nothing better than a good Chubbie
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Emeritus Moderator

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Savvyav previously said: View Post
Jason did Todds first. took some time as he checked alignment on front bracket, in doing so it involved taking apart most of front end, check swing, rebuild, recheck, back apart... I had mine on right after. Trust me I was told the "fun" involved. Being these were first few, Jack and Jason have it down pat (mainly where to put the stike plate) was the pain..

As far as adjustments, it's really easy just trial and error...2 screws. Also, now with the improved strike pad (hard rubber instead of delrin) even softer and quieter.

These will REDUCE some impact, but keep in mind (AHEM) you still can't jump off a dead drop on side of a desert road, or clear a short pack of whoops you just saw an ATV come out of...

I must admit, getting a chubbie won't help you hide your bulge.
Thanks for the info..But, I don't have Jason down the street from me I wish I did...and he's probably glad I'm not I would be at the shop all the time I'm afraid, and now that I think about it, I wouldn't be married long too, spending every dime, giving to Jason Did Jason make a template for the install of the Chubby’s to people that purchase from across the country? Thanks

"Good people sleep peacefully at night safe in the knowledge that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" (George Orwell)

TLCA Member : #18084

Honorary AZFJ Club Member

Honorary SoCal Club Member

FJ Cruiser Club Member

Meet The RAPTOR 2007 TRD SE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

Not sure about template. I know the light racing guys have been on here and other places sharing/checking info. That's where the softer cups came from. They may have updated the instructions, but truly not that hard.

Not sure about Todds, but my front bumps were both bent up (used to align bracket that goes over half of this part.) This may have added to install time.
Remember, the guys that NEEDED them got them first!
They are a perfect add on, worth it all the way. The rears alone saved my butt BIG TIME. The impact plate on the rear also serves as a rear spring retainer. I had issues with my springs (sag, really short) and would of fallen out!!!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
tj-fj previously said: View Post
Like I always tell the wife , nothing better than a good Chubbie
Funny thing is, only guys want to see them..and get real excited....
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Shadow you won't believe this but I actually don't know if my rear Chubbs are still in there. I'll check at the body shop tomorrow. The fronts are long gone.

The issue I had with adjustment was not how to adjust them, it was what to adjust them to...! Must be simple though and Savvy's gotta know.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Emeritus Moderator

Quote:
Air2air previously said: View Post
Shadow you won't believe this but I actually don't know if my rear Chubbs are still in there. I'll check at the body shop tomorrow. The fronts are long gone.

The issue I had with adjustment was not how to adjust them, it was what to adjust them to...! Must be simple though and Savvy's gotta know.
Thanks Buddy

"Good people sleep peacefully at night safe in the knowledge that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" (George Orwell)

TLCA Member : #18084

Honorary AZFJ Club Member

Honorary SoCal Club Member

FJ Cruiser Club Member

Meet The RAPTOR 2007 TRD SE

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
shadow-warrior previously said: View Post
Thanks for the info..But, I don't have Jason down the street from me
There's a house down the street from me that's for sale. You too could live within driving distance from Jason's... but the temptations to mod would be even greater.

Quote:
I wouldn't be married long too
I don't know how long I'll be married. She'll get everything BUT the FJ.

There's just some trial and error on adjustment but I think that Jason might be willing (note that I'm speaking for him) to talk you through it. It's just a tricky install.

And right, they are no defense against a dead-drop.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in