The Factory OE Spring Rate? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Factory OE Spring Rate?

I've used the search button, the internet, called Toyota HQ, and called the local dealers. They all have not given me an answer. So I'll ask here, what is the factory front spring rating? I found the rear was 190. I've also found aftermarket front info such as OME at 590 and the fox 2.0 at 600...ect. I love the ride of my stock fj. It's great IMO! But I need to change my shocks and was looking at the fox 2.0; I've decided not to lift it. I'm afraid the 600 rating will be to firm. Any info would really help. The only thing I've found regarding factory equipment is on a 4runner which is 580. And if I remember correct, 4th gen 4runners, can be interchangeable with the FJ.

My year model is 2007 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Re: The Factory OE Spring Rate?

Get king Coilovers for the front if you want to experience what a nice suspension will feel like. They're are expensive, but the high end stuff is really worth the money. Try to see if you can snatch a used set somewhere if you want to save some buckos. They come with 550lbs springs, so if you're not adding weight to the front, they'll offer a super plush ride anywhere you want to run them in or out of the road, if you add weight, your option is to increase spring rate, 600lbs is not really bad, I have 650lbs currently, and I wouldn't want to run anything lighter, but I do have more weight than stock everywhere.

According to the OME 2013 PDF guide, the stock spring rate for the FJ in the front is 500lbs.

2010 SFM, M6, URD Short Shifter, Radflo 2.5 Ext CO's/650lbs springs, Toytec RCC2.0 Springs/OME 60071L, Light Racing UCA's, Skyjacker SBE702 links, Metaltech Front Bumper, Badland 12k Winch, Metaltech LCA's, Trail Gear TC Skid, AllPro HD Sliders, Allpro IFS/Trans/Lower Link Skids, Ricochet LCA skids, Boztec Diff Skid, 16" TRD Wheels, 1.25 Spidertrax , Firestone Destination MT 285/75/16, PIA 520's, Hella 700's, 3" PODs, 42" Led Bar
My Build
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you very much. And I have looked into the kings, and yes price is up there but I adhere to the philosophy "you get what you pay for." I'd have no problems with saving up for the kings that have a 550lb rating than the "cheaper" fox 2.0 with 600. I'm not adding any extra weight at all. I love how it is stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

I put #600 in the front and the it was perfect. Then I did a bumper,winch, and skids then went to a #700 and still have the same ride.
Remember your springs are solely for supporting weight or ride height. Your compression and rebound are all in your shock valving. More of your perceived ride is in your valving.

2011 Army Green
3" extended travel Icon coilovers with King springs, Icon expedition rear springs, Icon shocks
Total Chaos arms front and back
305/70R17 Goodyear MT/R's on Hutchinson beadlocks
TRD air box, Safari snorkel, Flowmaster cat back, URD off road pipe
Rigid Industries light bar and duallys, Piaa ion fogs and white driving,
Whelen ion strobes, Ricochet skids, Springtail M-pac,
and lots and lots of radio gear
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)

There is said 108/111 N/mm, which is 616-633 lbs/inch.
TrailTeamsDave likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Holy crap! Thanks! Where in the world did you find that article?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quick question. If I did the kings up front, would the bilstein 5100's in the rear be a decent compliment until I saved enough for the king rears?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
The Factory OE Spring Rate?

Quote:
RettoFJ previously said: View Post
Quick question. If I did the kings up front, would the bilstein 5100's in the rear be a decent compliment until I saved enough for the king rears?

They would work, assuming you're not loading the FJ down with a lot of weight in the front or rear, because the front and rear won't compliment each other well with that combo.

If you aren't towing or loaded down in the back, I would try to use the oem rear setup if it's a short time before you get the rears.

If you need longer shocks, and its temporary, I would just buy some $40 pro comp shocks, rather than excess $ on 5100s that you're using as a band aid. The nice thing is rear suspensions are generally a lot cheaper than fronts.

I'm probably going to get some Kings up front on mine once my WEs need rebuilding. Report back how they run!

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Rate and rating are 2 different things:

1. Spring rate or K of the spring is defined as Force/Distance or F/x. So for a spring rate K = to say 500-lb/inch, then if the vehicle weighs 1000 lb per corner it takes 2 inches of spring travel to hold that weight and any additional travel takes 500-lb/inch more.

2. Spring rating would be carrying load, which is a predetermined safe load for the vehicle or suggested load that may affect drive ability or braking. It is obviously related to the engineered Spring Rate.

The reason why we retain memories is because we are not caught in a time loop. The reason why we are not caught in a time loop is because it is not possible to go backwards in time only forward!
*CurbCrawler fabricated hidden front receiver.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Hi-Lift receiver mount.
*CurbCrawler fabricated SS dual battery tray & Walmart Battery.
*CurbCrawler fabricated 4-Gauge dash pod.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Aux fuse/relay panel.
Gibson cat-back exhaust (Dyno Proven)
Complete set of aluminum skid plates.
Receiver mounted 9k-lb rear winch.
Hayden trans cooler w/electric fan.
Factory rock rails.
Moon roof.
LED fog & backup lights.
Husky mats: front, center & rear.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MotioncontrolMike

Quote:
DX FJC previously said: View Post
I put #600 in the front and the it was perfect. Then I did a bumper,winch, and skids then went to a #700 and still have the same ride.
Remember your springs are solely for supporting weight or ride height. Your compression and rebound are all in your shock valving. More of your perceived ride is in your valving.
Also had 600's and loved the ride on D rated tires...got the front steel bumper and winch etc...so got 700's on E rated tires and love the ride! Wouldnt go less than 700's for droop/dive reasons. etc

Mike
DX FJC likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in