Ironman Foamcell Pro Suspension - Page 18 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

396Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 618 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Ironman Foamcell Pro Suspension

Quote:
DemonOfTheFall previously said: View Post
Got everything installed! Ran into a front passenger side lower shock mount bolt that was seized into the sleeve in the shock bushing. Ended up having to cut it out and grab a new bolt today to finish up. Everything else went smooth!

I'll posted up some more photos and impressions once I get a little sleep and let my knuckles heal up some
Can you give us a rundown on the install? I just picked mine up yesterday after work. I have been searching for an install thread but, can't seem to find one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 618 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Got everything installed! Ran into a front passenger side lower shock mount bolt that was seized into the sleeve in the shock bushing. Ended up having to cut it out and grab a new bolt today to finish up. Everything else went smooth!

I'll posted up some more photos and impressions once I get a little sleep and let my knuckles heal up some
Those things are sexy!

Thanks again man and sorry to hear about the frozen hardware. I forget how lucky we are out here in the desert to not have to deal with rust.
post #173 of 618 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
ejcagle previously said: View Post
Here's a few pics from today. Not the greatest shots but you can see the difference between the Ironman and Old Man Emu.

Thanks Nick for the setup. Now to just get it all fine tuned!
Quote:

Did either of you adjust the preload on the coilovers? If so then where did tou end up? (inches of thread showing on shock body)

If not, then where was the truck sitting when back on the ground; 2.5" or 3"?

Thanks!
Merk likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 618 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
mackb previously said: View Post
Did either of you adjust the preload on the coilovers? If so then where did tou end up? (inches of thread showing on shock body)

If not, then where was the truck sitting when back on the ground; 2.5" or 3"?

Thanks!
I just picked up the proper spanner to adjust them, so right now I'm driving a "funny car" FJ. At least it feels like what I would imagine a funny car to sit like.
Vegas_Nick likes this.

2013 Trail Teams Special Edition
"Spook"
**always a work in progress**
post #175 of 618 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
merlin25 previously said: View Post
Can you give us a rundown on the install? I just picked mine up yesterday after work. I have been searching for an install thread but, can't seem to find one.
You can look up any FJ Cruiser suspension install How-To guide it doesn't have to be IronMan specific, the basic design is all the same. I will share a couple tips though.

The rear shock body is so much larger than stock that the lower shock mount is offset so it doesn't contact the axle housing under articulation. I don't think you could actually get it mounted the wrong way but be aware of this as you are test fitting.

The rear shocks will not expand on their own like a gas charged shock and expanding them by hand is a pain. What I did was slide the lower shock mount over the post on the axle. Install the bottom washer, bushing and locating washer on the piston. Jack that side of the axle up far enough to get the top of the shock through the upper shock mount and get a washer and the top nut threaded on a couple turns. Then drop that side of the axle down and let the weight of the axle extend the shock. Then jack it back up far enough to get the top bushing, washer and nut in place.

Assuming you don't have any seized hardware like I did the fronts are equally easy. Disconnect your sway bar. Remove the brackets holding your brake line and ABS sensor wire so you don't damage either of them when the suspension droops. Remove the 3 top nuts on the coilover, remove the lower shock mount bolt. Pull the lower end of the shock out of the LCA mount and the whole thing should just drop out. Repeat the process in reverse, re-attach all of your brake line brackets and sway bar.

FYI - If you are installing the SPC/LightRacing UCA,s make sure you torque down that top ball joint nut before you take your test drive! I decided it would be easier to torque them down once on the vehicle and then promptly forgot. 100 meters into my test drive they slide all the way in. The FJ had so much front camber it looked like a stanced V-Dub! Ooops!
Vegas_Nick and ejcagle like this.
post #176 of 618 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Does this setup require a "trim packer" to level out the drivers side?

I was considering splurging on the sway away kit but these foam cells are pretty damn sexy! Plus I can get new hub assembly/wheel bearings with the saved $$$.

I stopped by a 4 wheel parts location to get an install quote on a complete kit. Needless to say, I'll be installing them myself and saving almost a grand on that. (They want $400 for the shocks/springs and another $200 for UCAs.) no thanks.
post #177 of 618 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sticky206 previously said: View Post
Does this setup require a "trim packer" to level out the drivers side?

I was considering splurging on the sway away kit but these foam cells are pretty damn sexy! Plus I can get new hub assembly/wheel bearings with the saved $$$.

I stopped by a 4 wheel parts location to get an install quote on a complete kit. Needless to say, I'll be installing them myself and saving almost a grand on that. (They want $400 for the shocks/springs and another $200 for UCAs.) no thanks.
It does not. The fronts are fully adjustable. The rear springs to have a passenger and driver side.

HOLY SHEITE! Given no issues with rust, you can do this yourself in about 4-6 hours.

Let me know when you are ready to order and I'll make sure we have that free shipping code ready.
post #178 of 618 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Vegas_Nick previously said: View Post
It does not. The fronts are fully adjustable. The rear springs to have a passenger and driver side.

HOLY SHEITE! Given no issues with rust, you can do this yourself in about 4-6 hours.

Let me know when you are ready to order and I'll make sure we have that free shipping code ready.
Awesome, thanks Nick!
Vegas_Nick likes this.
post #179 of 618 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Just FYI that we had ran into a supply issue for a week. Since these coilovers are not assembled before order, we build them up when purchased so we can be sure we out the correct rate springs on them. We've done so well we put the shop about a week behind. I still have the free shipping offer for those interested.

Oh, and for those asking about the Ironman USA website, they have chosen to sell through US distributors as opposed to being competition, and we're the biggest out there right now. If you're looking for something and can't find it on the Ironman USA website, please don't hesitate to call or PM me.
BlindWilly, Drift and JonDer like this.
post #180 of 618 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage

I know this will sound like an odd question but what is the least amount of lift these can be adjusted for?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in