Ironman Foamcell Pro Suspension - Page 49 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

396Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #481 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Ironman Foamcell Pro Suspension

Quote:
AMMO461 previously said: View Post
Please expand on your statement, you've got me curious now. I installed just the pre-assembled coilover, no spacer anywhere.
The extended travel spacer goes on the shock shaft between the shaft and bottom top hat washer adding around an inch of strut travel (2" at the wheel). Ironman used to offer these but now they just send you the spacer and you have to install yourself. The standard travel struts are good for a 1.7" lift although you will be able to dial the coil overs up to a 3" lift BUT you MUST preserve 60mm of downtravel on IFS's. Should be clearly noted on your install instructions. What I found with mine was that to preserve 2" downtravel I could only dial mine up to around 2" of lift. They sent me the spacer but it is a PITA to install as there are barely enough threads to get the top hat retaining nut on.

2011 Silver AT 4x4, Convenience Package, Upgrade Package, Toytec 3" Lift, Allpro Ultimate Lower Links, Light Racing UCA's, RCI Front/Transmission/T-Case/LCA Skids, All-Pro Lower Links and E-Locker Guard, All-Pro Brake Lines, Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T 265/70/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

On another note if you dial the pfc's up to 3" lift it tends to compress the spring so much it will contact the strut housing causing a nasty metal on metal noise and metal on metal contact that will eventually compromise the spring integrity.

2011 Silver AT 4x4, Convenience Package, Upgrade Package, Toytec 3" Lift, Allpro Ultimate Lower Links, Light Racing UCA's, RCI Front/Transmission/T-Case/LCA Skids, All-Pro Lower Links and E-Locker Guard, All-Pro Brake Lines, Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T 265/70/17
post #483 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage

@SoloXplorer , Thank you, i understand completely what you are saying now. All I need to get is one inch more of additional lift in the front now that I have them in. According to the info that equates to 1\2 inch of adjustment. I'm looking to level it with the rear which is setting at 38 inches from fender flare to ground. The front, with FCP's, is setting at 37.

"Mean Green" '10 Army green 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker. Demello 3 hoop w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, PURE FJ sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C's front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear, SPC DOM LCA. 16" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method NV's.

"Angry Orange" '13 Magma 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker, CRAWL. Demello 3 hoop Evil Eye w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, AP sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear. SPC DOM LCA's, 17" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method Holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
SoloXplorer previously said: View Post
The extended travel spacer goes on the shock shaft between the shaft and bottom top hat washer adding around an inch of strut travel (2" at the wheel). Ironman used to offer these but now they just send you the spacer and you have to install yourself. The standard travel struts are good for a 1.7" lift although you will be able to dial the coil overs up to a 3" lift BUT you MUST preserve 60mm of downtravel on IFS's. Should be clearly noted on your install instructions. What I found with mine was that to preserve 2" downtravel I could only dial mine up to around 2" of lift. They sent me the spacer but it is a PITA to install as there are barely enough threads to get the top hat retaining nut on.
This is also the first I've heard this. What is the issue with raising the front beyond the 1.7" you mention?

Mine are the regular travel versions.
post #485 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:20 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
AMMO461 previously said: View Post
@SoloXplorer , Thank you, i understand completely what you are saying now. All I need to get is one inch more of additional lift in the front now that I have them in. According to the info that equates to 1\2 inch of adjustment. I'm looking to level it with the rear which is setting at 38 inches from fender flare to ground. The front, with FCP's, is setting at 37.
Don't measure to the ground (tire pressure becomes a variable), measure to the bottom of the rim.
I really don't get all this "level" bull**** - is it a 4x4 or a mall crawler?

My driver side front is 15mm lower than the left - this causes me upper fender liner rub issues on big bumps & landing jumps on the driver side - That's why I will crank that up 8mm. As for rake, I couldn't give a flying **** - it's all about performance for me - if I level it when it's empty for aesthetic purposes, then load it up for camping including 160 litres of fuel, then it's going to drag its ass on the ground...
Vegas_Nick and DRTCRZR like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #486 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
LordHumungus previously said: View Post
This is also the first I've heard this. What is the issue with raising the front beyond the 1.7" you mention?

There really isn't and as stated below, measuring to the rim as opposed to the tire is a more solid measurement.
post #487 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
LordHumungus previously said: View Post

I will post the TSB about the spring rubbing issue they(Ironman) sent me in a few hours when I get to my laptop.

As far as the required down travel that should be posted clearly on the assembly instructions that come with the coilovers. But I can post a link to that as well.

post #488 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage

@amaclach ,
It does well now in the desert, just looking for a little bit more in the front. I'll measure from wheel well to rim later today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holly_Shelf_Doug_IMG_2742 copy.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	692850  
Loganbeere likes this.

"Mean Green" '10 Army green 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker. Demello 3 hoop w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, PURE FJ sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C's front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear, SPC DOM LCA. 16" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method NV's.

"Angry Orange" '13 Magma 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker, CRAWL. Demello 3 hoop Evil Eye w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, AP sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear. SPC DOM LCA's, 17" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method Holes.
post #489 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Ok here is a quote from Ironman regarding the "extended travel" version of these...

"As for extended travel vrs. non, we discontinued the extended travel option as an Ironman 4x4 America Inc. installed option. However at the request of ExCop Off Road we provided the extension spacer free of charge if a consumer wished to install it themselves. It installs in place of the spacer that has the built in washer with the three holes. When assembling the strut, it's the first thing dropped onto the shaft, next the backing washer, top hat rubber/rubber, steel washer then nut."

Here is the TSB for the springs rubbing...
"COIL RUBBING

Technical Installation Bulletin for selected Foam Cell Pro Strut Shock Absorbers

45727FE / 45716FE / 45710FE / 45750FE

The outside body diameter of these struts is 72mm. Combined with the nominal 81mm inside coil diameter of the matching springs.
The possibility of the coil rubbing on the body due to bowing in the coil, any brand of spring including Ironman 4x4 coil springs could potentially exhibit a slight bowing once installed which may allow contact of the inside coil diameter to the shock absorber body.

Remedy: During installation, determine the direction of bowing, prior to releasing coil from spring compressor, push the strut as far as possible to the side to increase clearance to the closer side of bowing then slowly release spring tension. Once spring is fully seated, check clearance of inside coil diameter and shock body. There must be clearance at this time to avoid rubbing on the body during operation.

Ironman 4x4 are implementing ways in future production to reduce the severity and likelihood of the above clearance related issues, however due to limitations beyond our control, special attention to avoid these issues may still be required.

And here is the portion of the assembly instructions regarding minimum down travel...
http://www.ironman4x4.com/system/res...structions.pdf

And the quote of that...
"Most Independant suspension systems must retain a minimum of 60mm
downward suspension travel.
The downward suspension travel is measured by the following:
1) Measure and record distance from Wheel Rim to Guard when vehicle is
resting on flat level ground.
2) Raise front of vehicle with wheels fully hanging.
3) Measure and record distance from Wheel Rim to Guard again when vehicle
is raised.
4) Subtract (Step 1) distance from (Step 3):
(Sample)
(Step1) 770mm. (Step 3) 830mm.
830mm - 770mm = 60mm.
This means the wheel has 60mm downward travel available.
The higher the ride height is to start with, the smaller this measurement will
be.

post #490 of 618 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

So the short answer for not retaining minimum down travel is you'll overextend the strut before it has time to dampen the movement, you'll lose contact with the surface on some motions of the suspension, and you can damage the struts by overextending them before they con properly mitigate the energy.

The estimated lift for these are 45mm(or 1.77"). http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/s...ell-pro-shocks

To get a 3" lift youneed either 1) the spacer provided by ironman, 2) An aftermarket spacer, 3) An ability to manipulate physics

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in