Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

newly I stalled Toytec Boss, rear shock noise.

7K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  BiggSean 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE spoke with Toytec th
ey will be sending me a replacement shock today. Will post results of the full WORKING suspension asap! GREAT customer service experience

Hey guys, second post about my toytec boss, this time it is the suspension itself I have a question about.

The rear was making a clunk over manholes and speed bumps , low or high speed. All bolts were tight so I inspected rear shock.

I found under the rubber dust boot that the lower shock cap and rubber bushing had been dislodged from the strut tube. Is there any problem just putting it back? Or any reason it may have popped out?

Picture here
http://m.imgur.com/3Pn10z0

I'm a little dissapointed with this whole suspension so far.. I know it's minor issues though, and I do like the ride and height aside from the small issues. I just have never had so many nagging problems with a $1000+ suspension.

See less See more
#3 ·
Alright swapped shocks, confirmed clunk follows. The shock also does not rebound when compressed and is MUCH easier to compress than the other. I will be calling toytec tomorrow.

I'm not sure I even want the boss kit anymore..almost feel I should I have gotten icon.

#5 ·
Boss 2.0 . I will call tomorrow and let them know, the shock is definitely blown.

there's the other guy who's rear shock sheared at the mount as well. Different problem, same rear shock. The units may need some more QC.

As far as toytec, I'm glad I bought directly from them so I won't have to worry about who is going to fix the issue.

#7 ·
Same here. I had an 07 FJ which I installed the Toyotec Ultimate Lift and I had absolutely no issues with the install. Ran it on my FJ for 4 years before I sold it with no issues. That kit came with Bilsteins for the rear.
Hope they make things right for you. Subscribed.

#11 ·
I have the Boss system and am very pleased with it. I would not hesitate to purchase it again. Toytec is a good company and will take care of any issues with their product.

#12 ·
I had a lot of problems with ToyTec customer service. Shipping the wrong parts, to the wrong address, a complete pain in my arse. If I had to do it again, I would have went with another company, Icon would have been seriously considered.

With that being said, the Boss system I am running the Bilstein rear shocks. Still trying to get the front adjusted for the driver's side lean. Plan on getting it level at 1/2 tank of fuel.

#15 ·
I am going on two years with the Toytec Ultimate 3" lift, with Bilsteins. It is solid with no issues whatsoever. My experience with Toytec is 100% great service during and after the sale. They should make it right for you. :bigthumb:

#17 ·
I leveled my lift today. You have to turn the front tires all the way to the right for adjusting the L side and that exposed the rings enough so adjustment can be made. It worked and I was able to bring my L side up 1/2 inch. Looking good and performing very, very well.

#19 ·
I spoke with Drew a couple of times today. I also stated that the instructions needed to be clearer and that the spacers on the brackets coming off of the radiator brace need to have instruction and he agreed. Also the 6 inch bolts and nuts are the right ones. The nuts are taper threaded so they are a locking nut but I also suggested they explain this so people know. There were a few other things I went over.

I hope you get yours straightened out. Yesterday's off road ride, over rugged, bouldered and washed out roads went very well. The suspension feels so much better than stock.

#25 ·
I thought about that but then what about when you are sitting in it? I weigh 200 pounds, my wife, 107, that means it will come down more on my side and most of the time, I try and keep the tank topped off and of course the gas goes down on trips but I think it most likely will be in the right area. I am a little lower right now on the drivers side with a full tank but not with me in the FJ.

#24 ·
If you think you should have gone with Icon vs Toytec, try sending Icon an e-mail and see if you get a response. My last three e-mails to them went unanswered, and I am a paying customer.

FWIW, I had a Toytec Ultimate on my FJ, then I bought an Icon lift for my F150. When building my 4Runner, I went back to Toytec. Trust me their customer service is much better than Icon.

#26 ·
Toytec has been very helpful. I did suggest some additions to their instructions and they agreed. Also they took the time to make sure that my questions were answered and that I got the right information, with Drew putting me on hold a couple of times and checking, which is good.

Reactions: mountain mike
#27 ·
I also got help from Drew. Super helpful. Can't complain anymore. New shock on the way. New bolts on the way, control arms that I believe might be wrong are going back on tomorrow. Apparently the control arms are the same part number for all years, but the ball joints are different! Good for future reference.

#28 ·
I got my FJ aligned today. One guy said some kits are harder to align but this one looked real good and then when he aligned my FJ, he said it went really well and got it to factory specs without much trouble at all.

#30 ·
No, I looked at what I had and didn't see the need. Maybe some day. They would make it even easier to adjust alignment and for more lift, but I don't want to go above 3 inches for a number of reasons. My wife has to use a pole vault now because she is 5'1", lol. I showed her the hand grips and she is happy again (she didn't realize they were there).

Reactions: Maxxmoto
#32 ·
FWIW, I've experienced three separate failures with my Boss rear shocks in an 11 month period. My first two failures resulted in a sheared shock mount (due to defective Toytec bushings), and most recently I had a shock develop a leak and blow.

I wouldn't purchase Boss shocks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.