Need help with tire wear and wheel Alignment - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Need help with tire wear and wheel Alignment

Hey everyone I need some advice here and I'm a bit of a noob. At the risk of asking a silly question after doing a bunch of research here and Google.

My FJ is a 2007 standard model, Manual Transmission with over 150K. I kept it stock for a long time till two years ago. My friends took me out off roading for the first time and I got the bug. First I got new tires, some BF Goodrich tires. Then I got an ARB Steel bumper with a Warn M8000 Winch, so naturally my front end sunk down over an inch. That didn't settle well with me so my buddy and I installed the OME2885 Heavy Springs in the front end which actually gave me an unexpected lift. Just over two inches over stock height if I remember correctly. So a few weeks after the install I had an alignment done. I didn't have any problems with handling on the road or on the trail. If I let go of the wheel the vehicle would continue straight. Didn't have much of a problem with bump steer but there would be a wicked pull on the wheel if I'm on the highway and I drive over a large puddle. Nothing I can't handle though.

Fast forward to today. I did a ton of work after my Alternator busted on me a few weeks ago and the dealership was pointing out a laundry list of stuff that was wrong with my car. I let the dealership take care of the alternator but I did the rest. I had to replace both frozen front calipers and all four rotor disks. I wasn't even aware the calipers were frozen. looking at my beautiful BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A tires which have less than 50K on them I noticed that both front tires show identical wear. Both tires had the outer edges worn down, where the difference between the outer edge and the center of the tire tread was about an 1/8" in tread height. Surprised the hell out of me so I went to the local shop to get another alignment done.

Here's the result:

____________Before_____After_____Spec___
Caster Left........0.2............0.2..........Bad...2.3 - 3.3 Unable to correct
Caster Right......0.0............0.0..........Bad...2.3 - 3.3 Unable to correct

Camber Left......0.2............0.2..........Good -0.4 - 0.7
Camber Right....0.1............0.1..........Good -0.4 - 0.7

Toe Left.........-0.05............0.00........Corrected -0.05 - 0.10
Toe Right........0.15............0.10........Corrected -0.05 - 0.10
Toe Total........0.10............0.10........Good -0.10 - 0.25

The Pepboys Technician (Yes I went there) told me that I need to get a "Toyota Caster kit" to fix the Caster misalignment issue. Second thing he told me was I need to get the coils and shocks aligned properly. He brought up first that I'll probably need new coils and shocks so I told him I installed new coils and springs not 2 years ago. So he said I made an "error" in my installation and told me I should have marked where the coil and shocks should be aligned. Then he said that I should get new tires since the wheels are worn unevenly. After that is all said and done then get a final wheel alignment. Oh I've got a nail in the tread too close to the side wall. The shop said legally they can't repair it but I can do what ever I want with a patch kit.

So here's my question, is aligning the Caster critical to safety and the even wear of the tires and did I screw up installing the coils and shocks that they need to be re-aligned?

I couldn't believe that after 2 years the edges of the tires wore down so fast. Maybe it was a batch of softer rubber? My last set of BF Goodrich tires which came with my FJ in 2007 lasted almost 90K! Right now they're swapped with the rear tires and I did notice that the drivers side was worn down at the edge more than the passenger side. Reading some threads it looks like the only way to correct the Caster alignment is to get something like the Total Chaos Upper Control Arms at $900! I've only got a mild lift on my FJ, and all I wanted to do was level my FJ out with the new heavy bumper installed.

I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Need help with tire wear and wheel Alignment

Never heard of aligning shocks and coils. I would consider taking it to another shop, maybe one that's done a lot of lifted/4wd alignments. How often did you rotate your tires? Take corners fast?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

To be honest my first set of tires I had on my FJ have only been rotated once in the 7 years I had them and they all wore evenly. Now since I put the new OME coils and shocks two years ago I have been taking corners much faster now..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Would something like this help? The place selling these parts say that they're "Caster/Camber Bolt Kit Reqr's 1 per Wheel
for your 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser"

Maybe it can solve my Caster problem.

When ever there's doubt, there is no doubt.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)

Caster doesn't affect tire wear but causes wandering at highway speeds, I would take it to another alignment shop.

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4 | Ghost FJ Build | Instagram
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage

1/8" wear on the edges isnt that bad over 50k miles, especially with a lift and no aftermarket UCA's. Sounds like you should just rotate your tires more often.

They were "unable to correct" the caster because the lower cams tend to freeze up (which is the part in the picture you posted). If a 3' cheater bar cant break them loose, then you've gotta cut them out. I did it on a friends FJ and it was NOT any sort of fun, but the shop quoted him like $600 in labor to do it. read THIS POST for some more info on frozen lower control arm cams.

As far as aligning your shocks and coils, well, when you figure out how to do it let us know
yellowthunder likes this.

'07 Voodoo 4x4 AT
The Big Blue Build thread
Northeast Overland
T.R.E.A.D. Lightly!
KC1JJY

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
StrangerRanger previously said: View Post
1/8" wear on the edges isnt that bad over 50k miles, especially with a lift and no aftermarket UCA's. Sounds like you should just rotate your tires more often.

They were "unable to correct" the caster because the lower cams tend to freeze up (which is the part in the picture you posted). If a 3' cheater bar cant break them loose, then you've gotta cut them out. I did it on a friends FJ and it was NOT any sort of fun, but the shop quoted him like $600 in labor to do it. read THIS POST for some more info on frozen lower control arm cams.

As far as aligning your shocks and coils, well, when you figure out how to do it let us know
if the cams are seized then better to just get light racing UCA, cheaper than $600, can adjust camber and caster with the light racing UCA instead

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Loganbeere previously said: View Post
if the cams are seized then better to just get light racing UCA, cheaper than $600, can adjust camber and caster with the light racing UCA instead
Can both be adjusted with LR UCA? If so then i'm going to get a set for myself. Mine are frozen, but I won't touch them after the last one I helped with... it was that bad. lol

'07 Voodoo 4x4 AT
The Big Blue Build thread
Northeast Overland
T.R.E.A.D. Lightly!
KC1JJY

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
StrangerRanger previously said: View Post
Can both be adjusted with LR UCA? If so then i'm going to get a set for myself. Mine are frozen, but I won't touch them after the last one I helped with... it was that bad. lol
Yes you can, see below, I installed mines so I know you can.
There was a new pair for sale on here for a great price recently but a member snatched it up real quick.

http://www.spcalignment.com/instruct...80-INS_WEB.pdf
StrangerRanger likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
I had a poor alignment 3k miles ago and it ran through 75% of the outer edges of my e rated mud tires. Now i have 2 new tires, and a corrected alignment that im still not convinced is correct. Im having it aligned at a different shop tomorrow

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in