Newbie question about the Rough Country 3 inch lift - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie question about the Rough Country 3 inch lift

I tried to search for an answer first and couldn't find anything on it. I'm about to buy the RC 3 inch lift for my wifes 2007 fj. I keep reading that the rear setup on the kit is actually pretty good, but of course the front is just spacers. My question is, what do people buy to upgrade the front later down the road. I realize that this is probably a basic knowledge question, but I'm not well versed with working on vehicle suspension at all. Been a motorcycle guy all my life. Thanks in advance, and don't roast me too bad, lol.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Newbie question about the Rough Country 3 inch lift

Just no
Leave it stock before RC

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

The front suspension of the FJ uses 1 coil-over on each side (coil over shocks, one piece) so you could eventually change from spacers on the stock shocks to a new set of bigger coil-overs. Many good brands for these, and many versions. Some brands are ICON, Sway-a-Way, Ironman 4X4, Toytec, FOX, KING, etc.

If you are interested in a budget-friendly lift/upgrade, one of the most popular is Old Man Emu (OME). For about $890 you get the full suspension upgrade (not just spacer lifts). Here is a link, browse MetalTech's site they have lots of good stuff: 2007 - 2009 FJ Cruiser Heavy Duty Suspension - Metal Tech 4x4

2007 FJC 4X4 AT 115K, trailworx bumper, safari snorkel, hood decal, Hi-lift, Spidertrax 1.25", BMC, ICON Stage 2 w/ Tubular UCA, SCS F6 16x8, BFG MT 305x70r16, metal tech light bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw the OME kit, but we have to switch out our winter tires in a few weeks and I don't have 900 right now to spend. I do however have enough for the rc kit, then upgrade the front this summer. Plus I have an almost brand new set of 5 XD revolvers with 285/70/18's sitting in the garage staring at me every day, lol.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Thumpedr36 previously said: View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I saw the OME kit, but we have to switch out our winter tires in a few weeks and I don't have 900 right now to spend. I do however have enough for the rc kit, then upgrade the front this summer. Plus I have an almost brand new set of 5 XD revolvers with 285/70/18's sitting in the garage staring at me every day, lol.
Understand about cash flow.

If there is any chance in the future you will upgrade your lift you are wasting the money your spending it on the RC.

Or be like the other 5000 on this forum that started with a spcer lift, then decided they wanted some cheap front coilovers that had some adjustments, then decided they wanted their FJ to drive like it did when it as stock....soooo
They pulled all the first combobulated "lift" off, spent $2500 more on a good suspension lift with aftermarket UCAs and lived happily ever after.

How did the cash flow work out with the above?

This forum gets lift questions about three times a week. Some just like yours.
Most have been answered just like yours for 10 years from us that have experience with lifts.

Save your money and headaches until you can afford a real lift.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

just wait and save up more money to buy a a lift kit that doesn't use spacers. Just my .2
amaclach likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

I've had my basic 3" RC spacer lift for roughly 3 years. I refuse to go through anything to crazy but it holds up in Texas farm land and back roads nicely. Looking to finally bite the bullet and completely re build the entire suspension.

As far as upgrading the front the guys before me have it spot on for what everyone else seems to do.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Garage

I ran the rough country spacer lift on my FJ for almost 6 yrs. It worked great. I offroaded the hell out of it also. I still have it in the garage incase I ever need to go back to it. There is nothing wrong with a spacer lift. Hope this helps

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
RyanFrizzell previously said: View Post
I've had my basic 3" RC spacer lift for roughly 3 years. I refuse to go through anything to crazy but it holds up in Texas farm land and back roads nicely. Looking to finally bite the bullet and completely re build the entire suspension.

As far as upgrading the front the guys before me have it spot on for what everyone else seems to do.
Quote:
Sanderhawk previously said: View Post
I ran the rough country spacer lift on my FJ for almost 6 yrs. It worked great. I offroaded the hell out of it also. I still have it in the garage incase I ever need to go back to it. There is nothing wrong with a spacer lift. Hope this helps
If you are thinking I'm putting down the RC lift I'm not.

You are though a classic example of spending money on a RC and then following that lift with something better
@Sanderhawk , you would be an exception if you wheeled it hard and didn't have problems with the front coilovers with spacers up there.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Sanderhawk previously said: View Post
It does help. I'm not going to be anything crazy offroad. Up here where I live in Alaska is really to boggy unless you have some serious mudding setups and I have no desire to do that. We are mainly going to be on the beach of trails to get to rivers to fish. Nothing major. For the people that sis upgrade the front setup on the RC lift, what is the best option for upgrading the front in the future?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in