New Metal Tech Spring Supplier? - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
Re: New Metal Tech Spring Supplier?

Has anyone measured the unsprung height of their new MEDIUMS or HD's recently? Just curious if MT is still sending out the HD's close to 19.75" or what the MEDIUMS are clocking in at?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

If I Remember right they were at least that tall on the HDs ....installed with DuraTrac 35x12.5x18 and the Icon long travel shocks Im sitting at 43-1/2 to the bottom of the bushwhacker flare and no extra weight in back to speak of so Im looking at 4 Of lift or close to it ... Metal Tech could confirm the height of the spring if you call them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	025EDEFC-219C-4846-928A-07B96EBEED63.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	1041174  

post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
ZoSoIV previously said: View Post
If I Remember right they were at least that tall on the HDs ....installed with DuraTrac 35x12.5x18 and the Icon long travel shocks Im sitting at 43-1/2 to the bottom of the bushwhacker flare and no extra weight in back to speak of so Im looking at 4 Of lift or close to it ... Metal Tech could confirm the height of the spring if you call them
Thanks. I have the measured height on post#10 in this thread from my own springs. I had got one of the first batches of the HD springs though and wondered if MT changed anything since then for the HDs or Mediums? I'm definitely getting a good extra inch of lift in the rear.

I'm just wondering if anyone has measured their own set of new Mediums or HD's recently before they went in the truck?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
darkhorse13 previously said: View Post
Has anyone measured the unsprung height of their new MEDIUMS or HD's recently? Just curious if MT is still sending out the HD's close to 19.75" or what the MEDIUMS are clocking in at?

Thanks,
John
Bought my HD's 3 months ago and they are 19.5" long.
darkhorse13 likes this.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
Bought my HD's 3 months ago and they are 19.5" long.
Thanks, so within .25" of my measurement... one can assume the HD's didn't change then.

Still curious about the Mediums now
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thumbs up Re: New Metal Tech Spring Supplier?

Quote:
Thanks, so within .25" of my measurement... one can assume the HD's didn't change then.

Still curious about the Mediums now
@darkhorse13 , as you well know, I was in a dilemma as to which LT spring to buy. I went with the MT LT Mediums, based on my present and suspected future wheeling weight. Though I do plan to add a rear swing out bumper at some time in the future, there are no, current, plans for towing, tents, drawers, grills or fridges for the, foreseeable, future. I will go to 35s at some point and I will, probably, pick up some heavies on Black Friday sale, just to have them, in case the future holds something that is unforeseeable .

Several members, here, provided me with, honest, input, in making this decision: yourself, @Thorn661 , @Iconic_ , @debFJVT , @CabinCruiser , @Winterpeg and @SilvFx . Thank you, all, for putting up with my, incessant, pms.

Here are some pics that were hastily taken. Hope they suffice for reference here. The passenger side measured 19.5 inches and drivers side 19.25 inches. The other suspension components installed were the LT 2.5 Coil overs, Icon Tubular UCAs with Delta Joints, LT version 2.0 VS rear shocks, Crown extended brake lines, front sway bar relocate kit and 3 in. bump stop drop spacers. We, also, installed aluminum RCI engine, transmission, and transfer case skids with bracket and a set of Orange Box Rock sliders. A moderate BMC was done.

For the wheeling around here I am, presently, running the rear sway bar with extended rear sway bar links; however, the plan is to remove it should I ever win the lottery and make it into Summit, at which time, I will visit Moab, as well. I haven't adjusted the coil overs yet, but plan to do so, once I've touched up and installed the Reszfab V2 bumper/winch. Figured, I'd add the weight first, which was suggested to me by @jimmy-buffett , a while back. Besides the V2 bumper/winch combo, I still have Reszfab lower links, 17 x 8.5 (0 offset/4.75 in. back spacing) Method wheels, 33x12.50x17 Pro Comp MTs, RCI lower link skids and Icon LCA skids to install. It is, currently, sitting on Mickey Thompson 17 x 9 (0 offset/5 in. backspacing) Sidebiter IIs and Mickey Thompson 285/70/17 ATZs.

Fyi, I called MT about the unsprung height differences in the two springs and John told me that I could not go off of unsprung height to determine the overall stiffness and sprung ride height. Evidently, there is a lot more science involved in coil spacing, wind rate, yada.....yada......yada

I would like to give a big shout out to member @Knealy , a retired Jarhead (and I say that, affectionately), who spent 2 days helping me and my retired Army buddy Chris, install the above components. On top of working like the grunt that he is, @Knealy , performed the BMC (that exceeded my OCD requirements) and supplied the spring compressor, which is a must for this install, imho. I can't thank you, enough, Ken. It would have been an exquisite Charlie Foxtrot situation without you, brother.

I'd loved to hear from anyone that has any thread measurements running a similar weight FJC for 650 lb. coil overs/LT Medium Spring set up, i.e. @darkhorse13 's description here: "driver side (2 1/8in thread exposed) and 1 3/4in thread showing on the passenger front."

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Together. Note the "D" at the end of the part number on spring on left, signifying Driver

Help support wounded Rangers and the families of the fallen http://www.leadthewayfund.org/

Rangers Lead The Way...........All the Way!

Last edited by dukeyjoe; 06-17-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Add @s for mention recognition and correct punctuation errors.........yeah, I'm a bit anal!
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2060 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks for the mention @dukeyjoe great to see the build coming along. I’m pretty jealous of the LT setup!
Winterpeg and dukeyjoe like this.

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

@dukeyjoe , I think you'll be very happy with the Mediums. They seem to have roughly 1/4" - 1/2" less unsprung height than the Heavies which makes sense. I found it odd that my Heavies were the exact same height despite that one spring was also label with a "D" for the driver side. This still netted in the "driver lean" even though the "D" spring should be 5% stiffer. Looks like MT actually fixed that properly with the Mediums as your "D" spring is 1/4" less tall.

In terms of the front coilover setting, do not max out the thread exposure. Trust me, the ride will suffer if you try to level out the front to rear rake of the truck. I'd shoot for a 1.25" to 1.75" rake front to back. Don't worry about what other people are showing, set yours for you own application. The lower you can keep the front and still clear the tire at full stuff the better. Embrace the rake and your ball joints will thank you

John
debFJVT, Thorn661 and dukeyjoe like this.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Hey folks,
I'm performing some maintenance on the rear end and have the MT HD springs out. Thought I's take a quick measurement to see how they've settled since install on April 2017.

It appears that they have lost 0.5" of overall spring height for the record. You'll be able to tell from the missing paint and height measurements which is new (19.75") and old (19.25")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metal tech hd old.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1060796  
Attached Images

Last edited by darkhorse13; 12-03-2018 at 12:36 PM.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

Quote:
Hey folks,
I'm performing some maintenance on the rear end and have the MT HD springs out. Thought I's take a quick measurement to see how they've settled since install on April 2017.

It appears that they have lost 0.5" of overall spring height for the record. You'll be able to tell from the missing paint and height measurements which is new (19.75") and old (19.25")
Looks like a little less than 1/2 inch to me ... you have much weight in the back ? Spare bumpers etc

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in