Suspension questions for fox and king setups - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Suspension questions for fox and king setups

I am looking to lift my 2011 4x4 FJ around 2". I want adjustable coilovers and I want a ride that feels close to stock minus the brake dive. I have narrowed down my suspension wants and needs to either:

FOX 2.5 coilovers without reservoir
Icon tubular UCA
FOX 2.0 rear shocks without reservoir
Icon rear coils

OR

King 2.5 coilovers with reservoir
Icon tubular UCA
King 2.5 rear shocks with reservoir
Icon rear coils

I am stuck between the two because I love the plush ride of oem FJ suspension but I also want the simplicity of the fox coilovers. The king comes with the reservoir where I feel that's overkill for my driving and off roading style (slow and steady/nice and easy). The fox shocks run a stiffer spring rate at 600lbs versus king's 550lb spring rate I believe. I plan on running 285/70R16's and I'm not opposed to a BMC if necessary. I'm hesitant because I've heard bumpers will sit heavily on king coilovers. I plan to get an expedition one kodiak when the money comes in.

How long do these aftermarket coilovers last on a weekend warrior-daily driver? I've been across 4Runner and Tacoma forms saying that the shocks need rebuild/replace after 30,000 miles?! If that's the case then my stock suspension is 3x overdue? I don't believe suspension dies after 30K miles but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm under the impression that king is the better riding suspension here. I also understand that the washer fluid bottle relocate must be done to run king on the 2010+ since the washer fluid reservoir is in the way.

I have already purchased and received the sway bar relocate kit and diff drop kit from toytec. I don't think I'll be using the diff kit based on posts saying it's basically useless.. I don't plan on lifting my FJ's front end higher than 2.5" at max.

To sum it up: looking for a 2" leveled lift. I'm stuck between the two setups and I'm hoping you guys can help finalize my decision. I have done 2 days worth of form searches through FJ, 4Runner, Tacoma, and even jeep forums to try and find my setup. I also have been searching around for months for the best suspension candidates and these are the two I've found to fit my driving style/wants.

I plan to install myself as I am typically very good with mechanical things. Electrical is just a different breed to me..

A big thanks to everybody on this forum who has done write-ups/reviews on their installs. A special thanks to FJX2000 for the buyers guides for bumpers and suspension! They're a huge help!

Last edited by ohiostateguy07; 04-22-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Changed 2.0 to 2.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2659 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Suspension questions for fox and king setups

Either brand should last you longer than 30k before needing a rebuild. My upper control arm uniball joints needed replaced a few weeks ago at 37k, but I'm pretty hard on them. Shocks should last you quite a bit longer, I would hope to double your number to 60K before the shocks need rebuilt.

In your case I would choose the Fox based on the fact that it comes with 600lb coils vs King 550. It'll handle the weight of the bumper slightly better when you add it. Then again I have Icon's with non-standard 700lb springs swapped in because my bumper, skids. winch etc... so you might want to swap them anyway someday. Also won't either of them change the coil rates if you ask? I thought King had an option...

You will be hard pressed to tell a difference I would think in the ride category between the two brands.

Is there a price difference in King w/resis vs Fox w/o?

Reservoirs are not just for cooling. They actually add piston area too and can change how the vehicle handles. Also the main benefit for the resis IMO is the optional adjuster valves you can add. Being able to easily and effectively change the ride with them is impossible to attain otherwise.

The reason you are making a dilemma out of it is because you can't really go wrong. If all else fails choose the one you like the color of the best.

Good luck and happy shopping.
jamesepoop likes this.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I had the Fox 2.5 on a previous FJ. The ride compared to factory was much better, but not harsh. Even on speed bumps (where it was definitely firmer) it was still not harsh. I don't have experience with the King shocks with reservoir, but I have BP-51 suspension on a new FJ and for hard off-roading, they are definitely better than the Fox, and I would expect the Kings to be similar, but if that is not what you are doing, then the Fox were pretty good. In fact the Fox were great for all but the hardest hits. Just my two cents worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jamesepoop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
Either brand should last you longer than 30k before needing a rebuild. My upper control arm uniball joints needed replaced a few weeks ago at 37k, but I'm pretty hard on them. Shocks should last you quite a bit longer, I would hope to double your number to 60K......

Good luck and happy shopping.
As for the price difference it's about more to get reservoirs on the fox suspension its $300-$500 more than no reservoir. The price for king with resis is slightly more ($600 I think) than the price for fox 2.5 without resis.

I have a discount on some parts through work but I don't have the computer in front of me today. I know fox w/o resis is cheaper than King w/ resis.

Also, yes I would probably think about changing my spring rates as I'll want skids with the bumpers. That's going to take a while for me though.. funds

At this point whoever has better customer service might be my choice. I want to be confident that when the time comes for rebuild, it will be easy to have it done. I have yet to find negatives to either setup.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
FJ Xtreme previously said: View Post
I had the Fox 2.5 on a previous FJ. The ride compared to factory was much better, but not harsh. Even on speed bumps (where it was definitely firmer) it was still not harsh. I don't have experience with the King shocks with reservoir, but I have BP-51 suspension on a new FJ and for hard off-roading, they are definitely better than the Fox, and I would expect the Kings to be similar, but if that is not what you are doing, then the Fox were pretty good. In fact the Fox were great for all but the hardest hits. Just my two cents worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think the hardest hits I've had are the monster potholes between Columbus and dayton haha. Living in the Middle TN/Western OH area leaves me with mostly redneckish kinds of trails from my experience. They're not scenic from what I've seen and they're essentially dirt, rocks, and hairpin turns on steep hills.

I originally wanted fox but everybody says "nothing rides like king" so I got stuck. Thank you for the input
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Garage

I`ve been running Kings with resis for the last 6+ years now. I have about 60,000 miles on them now and they are still working great. I offroad about twice a month with them. The ride is great. I will probly be getting them rebuilt in the next year just for maintenance. Hope this helps

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sanderhawk previously said: View Post
I`ve been running Kings with resis for the last 6+ years now. I have about 60,000 miles on them now and they are still working great. I offroad about twice a month with them. The ride is great. I will probly be getting them rebuilt in the next year just for maintenance. Hope this helps
That's great to hear! I off-road about twice a month also.
Sanderhawk likes this.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

I believe the rear Kings are 2.5".

Coil over covers will protect your fronts and dramatically increase the time between rebuilds.
760JVRFJ likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Update: I have now decided to go with fox 2.5 factory series coilovers w/ reservoir in the front and 2.0 fox factory series w/reservoir in the rear

I will be pairing the rear with Icon coils and the front with Icon tubular UCA.

I called 4wheelparts and asked whether or not they would uphold FOX warranty if I purchased through them. They said since they're a dealer I will receive FOX's warranty. I also asked if they provide the mounting hardware for the extended reservoir. 4wheelparts does not include the mounting hardware for your extended reservoir.

I now have to find a bracket for the reservoir. I like the brackets that come with the King shocks because they use existing holes. I'll keep looking. Does anybody else have a bracket/mounting idea? I can't find hardware for this anywhere

2011 FJ 4x4

Last edited by ohiostateguy07; 04-22-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Garage

Not sure how much you're saving at 4WP, but the supporting vendor here, All Pro includes mounts and a spanner wrench with the reservoir mounts.

Fox 2.5 @All Pro

Picture of @tibaal89 2.5 set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0783.jpg
Views:	1614
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	868857  
Mulie likes this.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
LEDLIYFJL: Live Every Day Like Its Your FJ's Last
Mad Maxxine Build - 2007 Fresco Silver Metallic
IG: madxmaxxine

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in