More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

10Likes
  • 5 Post By HeisKai
  • 1 Post By FinnJ
  • 3 Post By HeisKai
  • 1 Post By HeisKai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel

More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-lrm_export_20171111_175756.jpg
This is a similar write up to my previous one on Total Chaos +2" LT. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...haos-2-lt.html

The good old +2" kit served me pretty well, but like i wrote in the review, I was really pushing the limits of clearance to get a good usable travel out of this kit. I was pretty set on getting the Dirt King +3.5" kit. In 2016 TC still didn't have the +3.5" race kit, so Dirt King was the only kit with integrated uniball on LCA. It also had a better price. However I ended up getting the Camburg +3.5" setup from the old forum guru FJNewb. He has very detailed reviews on this exact setup in his build thread, so I won't repeat too much what he already covered. Just come quick pics and measurements.

Suspension Cycle

Note: I have 3/4" bump stop spacer installed to clear my stock fender flares. So I'm not utilizing the full cycle of this kit.

At Full Bump:
More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-20170923_111743.jpg

My 285/75/R16 just touches the flares (compressed the flares by maybe 1/16").
More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-20170923_112450_hdr.jpg

UCA is far from top of wheel well thanks for the different style bolt and misalignment spacer.
More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-20170923_111727.jpg

Shock still have quite a bit travel. So if i decided to modify my fender, i can get some more up travel out of this.
More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-20170923_111900.jpg

The LCA is really close to my 16" TRD wheel. It is literally 1/16 away from a balancing weight block! Gotta live dangerously.
More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-20170923_112749.jpg

And here is a picture of full bump vs full droop.
More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-lrm_export_20170923_115307.jpg

You can see tons of picture of this kit at full droop online. But a few quick notes compared to the TC +2" kit:
  • UCA uniball will not bind.
  • Shock extended length will be the limiting factor of down travel
  • My driver side RCV axle is not binding, but passenger side i can just feel some resistance at 1 place in a revolution. I don't know how much i strapped it at, maybe 1" above full droop.

Total travel with 3/4" bump stop spacer
More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-20170923_114544.jpgMore IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel-20170923_114419.jpg

Probably 12.5" total. If i remove the bump stop spacer and modify my fender, it will probably be 14" as advertised.

Some off-road action shot videos with comparison to regular mid travel setups can be found in my other post:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ion-video.html
CRAW, FinnJ, Iconic_ and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Garage
Re: More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel

There is treasure at end of the rainbow! Thanks for sharing your latest set up. There's not much other builds showing +3.5" set ups. Although FJnewb took his time building, I feel like he never really tested it enough to give much further feedback with shock tuning. He ended up parting it and selling it to you soon after right?

I really considered the Camburg set up instead of Dirt King because of the upper arm bolt/misalignment spacer. It's similar to my All Pro that uses a recessed top cap on the uniball and that would help keep the bolt end from hitting metal. Not sure since yours seems to clear fine but you are bumped muched more than mine. Worst case, I may purchase the recessed top cap for the 1" uniball.

Can't wait to get started with my own. I'm still waiting on coilovers. You're just fueling this fire!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:59 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 237 Post(s)

Nice flex! Good work.
HeisKai likes this.

2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T CNG TRD Supercharged
My buildup thread

1981 Land Cruiser BJ42 Diesel (under progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
There is treasure at end of the rainbow! Thanks for sharing your latest set up. There's not much other builds showing +3.5" set ups. Although FJnewb took his time building, I feel like he never really tested it enough to give much further feedback with shock tuning. He ended up parting it and selling it to you soon after right?

I really considered the Camburg set up instead of Dirt King because of the upper arm bolt/misalignment spacer. It's similar to my All Pro that uses a recessed top cap on the uniball and that would help keep the bolt end from hitting metal. Not sure since yours seems to clear fine but you are bumped muched more than mine. Worst case, I may purchase the recessed top cap for the 1" uniball.

Can't wait to get started with my own. I'm still waiting on coilovers. You're just fueling this fire!!
Haha, i'm looking forward to seeing yours. I guess you are getting King coilovers? What spring rate are you getting?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Garage

@HeisKai I ordered the dirt king spec coils according my payload and style of driving, and left the coil selection to them. I have 600# right now that I feel may be too much for me and with sway bars, it's overly stiff for my liking.

Edit: I'm aware LT will change the rates for coils from what the standard travel runs so I don't have a baseline for comparison at the moment. I'll just have to wait and find out

Last edited by jamesepoop; 11-13-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
HeisKai previously said: View Post
My 285/75/R16 just touches the flares (compressed the flares by maybe 1/16").
Is that with the bumpstop compressed, or just touching it? If you do ever compress that far, and you took that measurement with an uncompressed bumpstop, I bet you'll find yourself needing a new fender or tire, or both! Sweet looking rig though, waaay jealous!

'07 Voodoo 4x4 AT
The Big Blue Build thread
Northeast Overland
T.R.E.A.D. Lightly!
KC1JJY

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
@HeisKai I ordered the dirt king spec coils according my payload and style of driving, and left the coil selection to them. I have 600# right now that I feel may be too much for me and with sway bars, it's overly stiff for my liking.

Edit: I'm aware LT will change the rates for coils from what the standard travel runs so I don't have a baseline for comparison at the moment. I'll just have to wait and find out
Got ya. Good luck with the build!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
StrangerRanger previously said: View Post
Is that with the bumpstop compressed, or just touching it? If you do ever compress that far, and you took that measurement with an uncompressed bumpstop, I bet you'll find yourself needing a new fender or tire, or both! Sweet looking rig though, waaay jealous!
Thanks! I removed the spring and put about 500 lbs on the tire. So it is somewhat compressed. I once got air on a large speed hump and landed on a uphill ramp. i bottomed out loud AF and saw rub marks on the fender flares. I don't do this type of thing often so i'll let it be
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
HeisKai previously said: View Post
I once got air on a large speed hump and landed on a uphill ramp. i bottomed out loud AF and saw rub marks on the fender flares. I don't do this type of thing often so i'll let it be
Body lift or hydros! Or just don't do it again!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Wink Re: More IFS Flex - Another Review/Measurement of Camburg +3.5" Long Travel

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
Body lift or hydros! Or just don't do it again!
Hydros and taller fender flares are on my list
Iconic_ likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Tags
camburg , long travel , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in