Bilstein 5100ís on my 07 with stock springs Need upgrade - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By CabinCruiser
  • 1 Post By sealevel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sealevel
(Thread Starter)
Bilstein 5100ís on my 07 with stock springs Need upgrade

I have Bilstein 5100ís on my 07 with stock springs. I have added a US Off Road winch bumper and winch, RCI steel front and trans skids so the front end is about 100 lbs heavier. I do not want to lift the fj any more than I have to as I am going with BFG KO 2ís 265/70/17. I need suggestions for front and rear springs to off set the extra front weight. Use is, mild off roading on vacations in Colorado.

Ride as is is good now, but could use an improvement, thanks!

'07 Titanium auto 4x4, rear locker, ATRAC, upgrade pk 2, Pioneer AVIC-D3 nav system w/ipod Vd, 265/70 17 Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Trail-Gear sliders, black Ellis Precision Grab Handles, black RazorWings, AFE Cat-back exhaust & CAI, Black Oak LEDs, Iron Mountain shift knobs, tinted windows, US Off Road Bumper, Engo Winch, cargo net, Midld 75-822 CB, Bandi Mount, 4' Firestik, Manik Black Taillight Guards & a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sticker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Bilstein 5100ís on my 07 with stock springs Need upgrade

Bump

'07 Titanium auto 4x4, rear locker, ATRAC, upgrade pk 2, Pioneer AVIC-D3 nav system w/ipod Vd, 265/70 17 Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Trail-Gear sliders, black Ellis Precision Grab Handles, black RazorWings, AFE Cat-back exhaust & CAI, Black Oak LEDs, Iron Mountain shift knobs, tinted windows, US Off Road Bumper, Engo Winch, cargo net, Midld 75-822 CB, Bandi Mount, 4' Firestik, Manik Black Taillight Guards & a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sticker.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 03:26 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

You aren't talking about a lot of weight. Are your old springs so worn that the height actually came down? If so you may just need a set of new OE springs or find a set for a TRD or Trail Teams that would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but still retain stock height. Also, you didn't mention whether or not your 5100s are adjustable height. If so, there will be a retainer holding the lower spring cup to the shock body. If it is on a lower notch, you could disassemble them and raise the retainer a notch, giving you back some ride height and increase the spring rate close to stock.

Also, something like this might work if you aren't concerned about spending a lot of dough and just want the ride height back.

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...cer_p_351.html

The folks at ToyTec are great for figuring out a system that works with individual peramiters too.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017

Last edited by CabinCruiser; 12-04-2017 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
You aren't talking about a lot of weight. Are your old springs so worn that the height actually came down? If so you may just need a set of new OE springs or find a set for a TRD or Trail Teams that would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but still retain stock height. Also, you didn't mention whether or not your 5100s are adjustable height. If so, there will be a retainer holding the lower spring cup to the shock body. If it is on a lower notch, you could disassemble them and raise the retainer a notch, giving you back some ride height and increase the spring rate close to stock.

Also, something like this might work if you aren't concerned about spending a lot of dough and just want the ride height back.

Front Top Plate Spacer (One - 1/4")

The folks at ToyTec are great for figuring out a system that works with individual peramiters too.
Thanks for the info! I have the adjustable set on 2nd notch, so truck is level. Like I said ride is good, just wondering with 115,000 mile if these original shocks would hold up with extra weight up front and the all the recovery gear and luggage during our trips. I have 5 moths before vacation so I have time to evaluate the ride. Just looking for some incite on springs and the extra weight.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:20 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
sealevel previously said: View Post
Thanks for the info! I have the adjustable set on 2nd notch, so truck is level. Like I said ride is good, just wondering with 115,000 mile if these original shocks would hold up with extra weight up front and the all the recovery gear and luggage during our trips. I have 5 moths before vacation so I have time to evaluate the ride. Just looking for some incite on springs and the extra weight.
5100s are great for an entry level aftermarket shock absorber. I've ran them on multiple vehicles with varying capabilities and even got about 130k miles on 1 set on a lifted '99 Tacoma with winch and bumper with no problems. I would call them an ample shock for a daily driver that sees the dirt occasionally.
sealevel likes this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
5100s are great for an entry level aftermarket shock absorber. I've ran them on multiple vehicles with varying capabilities and even got about 130k miles on 1 set on a lifted '99 Tacoma with winch and bumper with no problems. I would call them an ample shock for a daily driver that sees the dirt occasionally.
Thanks CabinCruiser!
CabinCruiser likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Quote:
...... find a set for a TRD or Trail Teams that would have a slightly stiffer spring rate but still retain stock height. .....
There is no difference in springs on any of the 4x4 FJs except for the TTUE. TT or TRD are going to be exactly the same as a base spring.

OP, The Toytec front leveling springs are rated a little heavier at 620# and would likely do wonders for your ride. You could set your 5100s back down to the bottom and just use them to level the truck and hold the weight

example: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post3353625

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
iwashmycar previously said: View Post
There is no difference in springs on any of the 4x4 FJs except for the TTUE. TT or TRD are going to be exactly the same as a base spring.

OP, The Toytec front leveling springs are rated a little heavier at 620# and would likely do wonders for your ride. You could set your 5100s back down to the bottom and just use them to level the truck and hold the weight

example: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post3353625
Thanks Iíll look into those for sure!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in