Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Suspension Upgrade Opinions

30K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Easys4.2gq 
#1 ·
I'm hoping you all can give me some opinions on a couple of suspension upgrade options.

I have an '07 4x4. I’m currently running a Daystar 2.5/1.5 lift. I love that the truck is level now and I really like the stance. But every time I leave the road I regret that the truck is much stiffer than it was on the stock suspension. I’ve got 100k miles now, so I’m pretty sure I need new shocks. I’m also running 285’s.

I drive the FJ daily, so I’d like it to not be any worse there than it is now. But my commute is four miles, so I'm not obsessed with the FJ's road manners. My off-road driving is mostly fire and logging roads in the mountains around Idaho—some rocks, but not huge boulders. I drive slow and careful, but its nothing I’d consider “crawling.” I’m not doing any high-speed off-road driving at all—just exploring with my daily-driver. At this point I’m not planning on adding bumpers in the future.

I’m considering:

• OME full suspension with the softest springs (OME full suspension -- Click here for details).
  • Adjustable Bilstein 5100s set at 2.5” lift in the front with the OEM springs and leaving the Daystar 1.5" puck in the back with 5100 rear shocks. This would match my current stance and probably not require UCAs. But I’m not opposed to longer springs in the back if they’d play nice with the Bilsteins and not add the rake back in.
  • I’ve also considered the Toytec 3” lift with the Bilstein 5100s set on the lowest height and Superflex springs (3" Lift W/ Bilstein 5100 Front Coilovers FJ/4Runner/GX), but I can’t tell if this requires new UCAs.

You can see by the options I’ve considered about what my budget is.

I've spent dozens of hours reading about options on this forum. Lots of people say the OME setup is a legit off-road setup. I'm sure it would work for what I'm wanting to do. But I've never seen any posts talking about my second option (most people seem to just use the 5100s for leveling). And I'd love to know how the Billy/Superflex setup compares to the OME.

Everyone says to contact ToyTec, that they have great service and are extremely helpful. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and never received a response, so I'm asking the group for your feedback.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had two different suspension systems on my Cruiser. For my first setup I installed Bilstein 5100's with stock Toyota springs and leveled the vehicle. On-Road handling was outstanding! Firm and controllable. No body roll when cornering and no nose dive when braking. Ride quality was smooth and comfortable. Exactly what I wanted. Having said that, on rough roads this setup was too stiff. The suspension did not absorb hard impacts very well.

I've recently upgraded to an Icon system. 2.5 coilovers and UCA's up front. 2.0 shocks in the rear with stock springs. The front is adjusted to 3 inches of lift and spacers added to the rear springs to level the vehicle. This setup is much more forgiving on rough roads however slightly softer than I like on smooth pavement with a slight bit of nose dive when braking.

To summarize: The Bilsteins (with stock springs) provided sports car handling on smooth pavement but were too stiff off road. The Icons soak up the bumps but are slightly more "Spongy" on pavement than I would like. I don't believe there is a perfect system for both on and off road. There will always be some trade off. Overall my Icon system is more diverse and suits my overall suspension requirements.

#3 ·
One of the things I'm really looking for is a suspension that feels softer and more flexible. It sounds like from your experience that the Billy's are not that.

Thank you for sharing the comparison of the two different systems you've tried.

#4 ·
I’ve had the Toytec setup for several years and have been happy with it. From the start, it felt better than the stock suspension. A bit firmer, but not stiff and bouncy. Most of my driving is on pavement, but go on a couple off-road overlanding trips in the Nevada desert each year. No rock crawling and no beating the crap out of it. I did do the UCAs at the same time (Total Chaos) and no problems with them either.

#6 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you do the UCA upgrade because you couldn't get it aligned without it or because you wanted longer travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I ran OME for a year and they are very stiff, much more harsh than stock which made for better street cornering, load bearing and that's all. Wash boards and rough trails were brutal, suspension would almost never bottom out, too stiff for me.
I now run a combination of Icon and Kings, suspension is adjustable and plush, soaks up wash boards while street cornering suffers-my can does not.

You really can't have it all ways; cheap, plush and level cornering. Icon pushes digressive dampening vs. progressive on Kings, I found the difference to be negligible.

#10 ·
I ran OME for a year and they are very stiff, much more harsh than stock which made for better street cornering, load bearing and that's all. Wash boards and rough trails were brutal, suspension would almost never bottom out, too stiff for me.

I now run a combination of Icon and Kings, suspension is adjustable and plush, soaks up wash boards while street cornering suffers-my can does not.

You really can't have it all ways; cheap, plush and level cornering. Icon pushes digressive dampening vs. progressive on Kings, I found the difference to be negligible.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the OME. Stiff and harsh is exactly what I don't want. Some of the back roads around here are just miles of washboards.

If I could ask one more question, were you running the soft springs or the stiff ones? Just trying to figure out if that harsh ride came from the springs or the shocks.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to have it all. I'm very happy to give up level cornering in search of plush. Unfortunately, I do not have much budget though. Like everyone else, that is my biggest challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I currently use toytech’s 2.5 coilover with a 2.0 boss and their standard rear spring. Got the whole package for $1650. Installed it myself set the lift at 3 inches of lift. I love it, firm enough on the street and it still rides better than my brother’s 2018 JL, I have no dive or roll, but off-road it just performs brilliantly. I also purchased spc upper control arms for alignment purposes. If you can afford a 2.5 inch coilover get one by one of the many good aftermarket companies. Good luck in your choices.

#13 · (Edited)
CRFjockey,
Purchasing a new suspension for your FJ will probably cause more hair loss than any other modification... My recommendation is to get more suspension than you think you need. I strongly suggest getting a 2.5" body shock for the front and rear. Miles of wash-board will kill a shock much quicker than rock crawling... (unless you physically beat the shock to death on rocks)... The shaft diameter on the 2.5 will be larger, the valving will be better and it will have more oil capacity. You don't have to have ICON, King or Fox to get a good shock... Any shock can have problems... As for the coil springs on the rear... ICON +2 HD's are made by Eibach, so are ToyTec.. I have had them both and was completely happy with the ride and handling. I am now running ToyTec's +2.5 HD's because I needed more lift in the rear. I am not a fan of spacers... If you can save up for a better quality shock with adjustable compression, you can have the best of on and off road handling... If you are lifting the front more than 1.75", I suggest getting an aftermarket UCA. Perhaps you can meet members with different suspension set ups and go for a ride... I didn't coin this phrase but the person that did, was very wise.... "Buy once, cry once".... This is just IMHO for what ever that is worth...

Good Luck!

#17 ·
CRFjockey,
Purchasing a new suspension for your FJ will probably cause more hair loss than any other modification...
Good Luck!
True enough!

#18 ·
How high do you have the 6112 adjusted? How are they offroad? I'm looking for flexible.

#16 ·
I second this ^ look at the Bilstein 6112's for the front over the 5100. I currently run these with the 5100's in the rear with OME 895E coils, a little stiff in the rear without additional weight but that's the way I like. My FJ is my daily driver too fyi. I'll bet the 5160's ride like a dream, so although I don't have them I suggest you look at them over the 5100's. Also, if you're looking to replace your rear coils for taller ones, the only 1.5" options I know of are the OME 895E and Sway-A-Way supposedly makes a 1.5" rear coil.

Reactions: Cruiser47
#19 ·
Running the 1.5" lift in the back, I assume you're running the 6112 all the way at 2.5" lift. How does it ride offroad? Is it stiff or more flexible? Also, did you do UCA or are you running stock?

#22 ·
I'm so frustrated. After four months I've finally saved the cash to purchase the Bilstein 6112/5160 setup. They were supposed to arrive last week. Now I'm hearing that Bilstein is backordering the 6112's until mid to late June!!!

#26 ·
At this point mid-to-late June would be good news. Bilstein just replied to my email that they won't have the 6112's available again for FJ Cruisers until mid-to-late July!

Can anyone tell me if the 2.5" Fox shocks without reservoirs are $500 better than the 6112's? And has anyone put the 3" lift versions on an FJ with stock UCAs? I'm only looking for 2" of lift right now, but if I decide to do UCAs later I don't want to be limited.

Thanks,

#24 ·
I have looked at that option. I read that the TTUE kit has only 2 notches. My truck is sitting at +2.5" in the front and +1.5" in the back. I'm really wanting to keep keep at least a 2" lift in the front. Maybe someone who has used this kit can weigh in and tell us how much lift you can get from it.

Reactions: Richard_Cruiser
#27 ·
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, I'm looking for some advice. I'm currently running king coilovers in the front with 550lb coils, total chaos ucas, and king shocks in the rear with stock rear springs. Im noticing a big lack in performance in the rear, and it sags beyond belief when I load it up with a rooftop tent and camping gear. I'm obviously needing some new rear springs, but here's the thing... I don't want a lot of rake, hopefully no rake at all. I want it to ride level. Im looking at Icon 2" rears, or the OME 895E. The thing is I drive this truck to work and around town every day, I want it to be a comfortable ride, that's why I'm leaning towards Icons. Anyome running a similar setup? Can you share pics? Thanks guy

#30 ·
It seems like I remember that both the OME 895E and the Icons are only about 10% extra stiffness than the OEM. Is that enough extra stiffness for your tent?

#29 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Icon 2" rear springs that could give some info on how much load I can expect them to withstand? I put a rooftop tent on the truck, an awning, and other camping gear which adds up to about 200 - 250 pounds. Sometimes I also carry friends (not usually) but say 500 pounds in the back on occasion. Would the Icon 2" rear springs be able to handle that without sagging too crazy? Obviously there will be some sag, but I'm wondering if it will still be able to handle a trail or 2 at this point.

#32 ·
I did. Bilstein 6112 on the front set at a 2" lift and 5160 on the back with a +1.5" rear spring.

I love my setup on the road. It's definitely firm, but I have less brake dive and the handling is better. I'm used to driving a truck, so a firm ride is not a big deal.

Off-road is not what I expected. Driving slow it's pretty bumpy, but the faster I go, the more pliable the suspension gets. At speed, everything just smooths out. I hit some monster bumps off-road at Florence Dunes and it never once bottomed out. I'm a lot happier with everything now that I air-down off-road. Those little bumps just go away and the suspension handles the big bumps really well.

Good luck with your evaluation! And welcome to the forum!

Reactions: FJFool
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.