REAL life suspension. (True experiences) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
REAL life suspension. (True experiences)

Hi all, this post is all about sharing your true EXPERIENCES, not so much opinions and thoughts. Mostly about your different suspension setups you've started with upgraded from no matter how many times.
Starting from stock and all the way up to custom long travel suspension! The reason I make this post is hopefully to shed some true light on the topic of suspension upgrades. As a young, newly married man, with a champagne taste and a beer budget I hope this will reveal not only to me, but hopefully help others avoid buying suspension products they probably don't need, because we really don't know unless we try them. What kind of suspensions have you had? where are you using them and what did that feel like?
P.s. I am particularly curious about remaining as close to stock height as possible. (Bp51s? Kings? 6112/5160? Radflo? Fox? Etc.)
Items to include
-tire size/wheel size/offset
-net vehicle lift acheived before or after upgrades
-weight
-differnt things you've fiddled with
-problems and learning experiences

My own experience is very limited and so far with the stock suspension and 140,000 miles on an 07 fj cruiser I was able to achieve quite a bit. But now that I'm running a bull bar with an 8000lb winch and larger tires the story is changing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3oNbnQyfABjTcUht2
Calling all gurus!

Last edited by fj#2; 03-07-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Re: REAL life suspension. (True experiences)

My previous off roader('74 Ford Bronco) had a 6" lift, 36" tires and every mod I could bolt to it essentially. It went everywhere I wanted it to and it looked great.

My '14 FJ has slightly undersized tires (BFG KO2), and suspension is completely stock. I can't lift an inch due to height restrictions on where it parks at my work but I'm constantly amazed at just how capable it is every time I get it off the road.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Nice, what kind of offroading have you been doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
fj#2 previously said: View Post
Put it through a bunch of old of logging trails in Big South Fork National Recreation Area last weekend getting in and out of my favorite old logging camp. Also explored most of land between the lakes a few months back with some friends. And then the occasional jaunt on the golf course where I work. Amazing that the FJ all locked up and aired down is even gentler on the fairways turf under load than the tractor purpose built for it when hauling generators around for our big event.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2885 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have Ironman Foamcell Pro shocks with matching springs.
They are a mid-price option, and the shocks and springs have performed well, however the bushings are awful.
The rubber bush between the bottom of the spring and the shock split and fell out pretty quickly, then recently the lower eyelet bush has disintegrated...
Poor / cheap rubber would be my guess. I"m looking for full replacement bushes now.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
2.ooohhh previously said: View Post
Quote:
fj#2 previously said: View Post
Put it through a bunch of old of logging trails in Big South Fork National Recreation Area last weekend getting in and out of my favorite old logging camp. Also explored most of land between the lakes a few months back with some friends. And then the occasional jaunt on the golf course where I work. Amazing that the FJ all locked up and aired down is even gentler on the fairways turf under load than the tractor purpose built for it when hauling generators around for our big event.
Nice! Driving on a golf course sounds like a blast!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
I have Ironman Foamcell Pro shocks with matching springs.
They are a mid-price option, and the shocks and springs have performed well, however the bushings are awful.
The rubber bush between the bottom of the spring and the shock split and fell out pretty quickly, then recently the lower eyelet bush has disintegrated...
Poor / cheap rubber would be my guess. I"m looking for full replacement bushes now.
so you're out in UAE? where do you go offroading the most. What kind of abuse does your suspension take?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

I started with Bilstein 5100's, Toytec Eibach 620lb springs, Light Racing UCA's, rear 2" lift Coil Spring Spec 25% Firmer spring rate, 5100 Rear shocks. broke the passenger rear and the passenger front was leaking. they had over 80000 miles on them. i have lived in Arizona since 2013 play in the rocks a lot worked very well for the cost.
current set up is Bilstein 6112's set on 4th notch, Eibach 650lbs springs, Light Racing UCA'S, Wheeler Ext bump stops, Sway bar relocate,
Rear 2" lift Coil Spring Spec 25% Firmer spring rate, Bilstein 5160'S Reservoir shocks, Wheelers Ext bump stops. very happy with this set up but thinking about Changing rear springs to the Icon overland springs. when the truck has the Roof top tent and packed for camping get some sag. was thinking about adding air bags but worried they may affect articulation. the Wheelers bump stops work great no more hard hits front or rear.
with the tent off i can still get in the garage but that is because i have a Baja flat roof rack if i change the rear springs will not get in garage.
Tires are 285 75R/16 Goodyear Duratrac

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex,REZV FAB Upper,lower links, panhard bar, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Konig Counter steer wheels,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT

Last edited by JKFJ08; 03-11-2018 at 11:11 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
@JKFJ08 awesome reply, thanks man. So what rear springs are you running out of curiosity. With or without accessories have you had problems bottoming out? If you could do it all over, what would you change? Did you notice a big difference between the 5100s and the 5160's in the back?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry if I'm bombing you with questions @JKFJ08 but just too much good info not to ask. Also wondering about your thoughts and decisions on your front suspension setup why the fourth notch? And I hadn't heard of these bump stops before they sound awesome. How heavy is your front end? What's your overall net lift

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Tags
bilstien , guru , kings , ome , shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in