How cranked up do you have your Icon's? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How cranked up do you have your Icon's?

Just put the Stage 2 with LR UCAs on this weekend and it looks great. I cranked it to the max allowable per the instructions (2.13" of thread showing if I remember correctly) just to see what it was like with the idea of I can always go down with a few cranks from there if need be.

Looks mean as could be but I'm assuming this is not providing the optimum ride. It comes set at 1.75" from Icon. I could go right back to that but curious what others are doing?

I want a balance between "looks cool" and "super functional".

Also kind of a tough question to ask but "what should it feel like now?". As in.......is this setup right? How can I test it or how would I know by the ride quality? So far the best I've done is blow through some little dirty whoops and it sucked them all up w/o bottoming out at all which I know my stock setup would have died on.

Thank you all and yes, I did search beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
Re: How cranked up do you have your Icon's?

Quote:
niceguy previously said: View Post
Just put the Stage 2 with LR UCAs on this weekend and it looks great. I cranked it to the max allowable per the instructions (2.13" of thread showing if I remember correctly) just to see what it was like with the idea of I can always go down with a few cranks from there if need be.

Looks mean as could be but I'm assuming this is not providing the optimum ride. It comes set at 1.75" from Icon. I could go right back to that but curious what others are doing?

I want a balance between "looks cool" and "super functional".

Also kind of a tough question to ask but "what should it feel like now?". As in.......is this setup right? How can I test it or how would I know by the ride quality? So far the best I've done is blow through some little dirty whoops and it sucked them all up w/o bottoming out at all which I know my stock setup would have died on.

Thank you all and yes, I did search beforehand.
I would advise against cranking the ICON co's up to the max. The ride quality will be poor and performance off-road will suffer. With the coil cranked down you are going to reach the down travel limit over every bump and boulder on the trail. You'll notice that your UCA will be at a much more severe angle and the uniball/balljoint will already be close to it's limit... at least this was the case on my ICON Billet UCA's. The truck looked nice and tall but the ride was garbage.

I typically shoot for 1-1.5in of rake front to back but this is personal preference, depending on your rear springs of course. My Metal Tech LT rear springs sit really tall so I have close to 1.5-1.75in of rake with my ICON front co's at roughly a hair under 2" of thread showing... I'd still like to go lower in the front if I could.
Icon_Adrian likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you. That would make sense. If you are running at about 2" of thread showing are you finding much difference between that and the max which is 2.13"? It seems very insignificant on paper but I am wondering how that translates into ride quality and getting things back into a better overall geometry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

The height setting will change with loading that varies from build to build.

I have a metal bumper with a winch, plates and an oversized battery. Much more mass than stock, so my setting of 2" threads will yield less lift than a stock build.
There is also leveling left to right which will net different settings on each side.

I run with about a 2" lift, showing 2" of thread on drivers and 1 1/4" on passenger. This nets me about 3 1/2 inches of droop and 7 inches of compression at the wheel.

Replacing the stock bumpstops will net some additional travel and let you maximize the coil overs range. Wheelers bumpstops have been working great for me with some spacers, super return for just $65.

Just a occasional fender rub at compression lets me know I'm using it all.

It's like my grandma used to say, "If ya ain't rubbing, ya ain't luv'n."
darkhorse13 likes this.

KJ6FJC
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Ha good to know. I did the body mount chop so my new wheels aren't rubbing which is great but I also have yet to hit the trail and fully articulate this whole setup.

I'm getting an alignment today. If I do opt to dropdown the coils a few turns will I need to get another alignment?

Also, if I do leave it maxed out.....is there any danger of breakage?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Maxed out coilovers - Maxed out CV angles.
darkhorse13 likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)

Quote:
Ha good to know. I did the body mount chop so my new wheels aren't rubbing which is great but I also have yet to hit the trail and fully articulate this whole setup.

I'm getting an alignment today. If I do opt to dropdown the coils a few turns will I need to get another alignment?

Also, if I do leave it maxed out.....is there any danger of breakage?
Rubbing on wheel well at compression, scrubs the interior fender/well. OEM stops are quite tall, limiting travel.

If you stay within Icon's limits there is no risk to the coil over from over compression.
Like others have pointed out, the higher you lift the more severe the CV angle, which works your CVs harder.
On droop something will be the limiter, usually the coil over or UCA joint. Better to be a limit strap.
darkhorse13 likes this.

KJ6FJC
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Thank you. That would make sense. If you are running at about 2" of thread showing are you finding much difference between that and the max which is 2.13"? It seems very insignificant on paper but I am wondering how that translates into ride quality and getting things back into a better overall geometry.
Yes, it all adds up in turns of performance. As a rule of thumb, every 1/4"in of exposed collar thread yields 1/2" lift (again, very general). I'd stay as low as you can in terms of lift and getting proper tire clearance. @mikey and @thane have said everything that I would have typed. Like @thane , I also have a larger disparity between the driver and passenger side coilover thread count... I'm probably very similar with around 2" showing on driver and 1 3/8" showing on passenger

I would wait for an alignment until you have set the final adjustment on the coilovers.
thane likes this.

Last edited by darkhorse13; 04-30-2018 at 02:23 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Super helpful and much appreciated everyone!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

an update for anyone who cares. After running with an alignment for a few weeks I started spraying CV grease all over cause it's too maxed out. Looked amazing but too much. Dropped it from 2.13" collar showing down to 1.25". Still looks good but not as mean. And will likely perform better and not spray grease all over.
thane likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in