Upgraded from Icon - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Upgraded from Icon

olongapo2, I understand about going to an E rated tire and thinking it could be those. I went from the old D rated wildpeaks to the new E rated ones and I could feel a difference. As it would turn out that was just before my Icons decided to leak like a stray dog on a tree. So yes it's not the tires its the Icons. The Toytec 2.5s are made by Radflo from what I understand. Im not sure if they are just branded as Toytec or if Toytec has them made to their specifications by Radflo. Either way they are superior to the Icons and cost less.

I can't really speak for the rears, Im still running Icons in the back...till they blow. Then I will upgrade them to Toytec. I'm just not sure if i want to go with the 2.5s or the 2.0 remote reservoir.

Did you know you can't tell the difference between a good Icon, a leaking Icon and no rear shock?

Last edited by Mitt78; 07-22-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:35 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Mitt78,

Let me make sure I understand correctly. Your review of the Toytec's is with E rated tires?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
olongapo2 previously said: View Post
Mitt78,

Let me make sure I understand correctly. Your review of the Toytec's is with E rated tires?
Yes, I'm running E rated Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70R17

Did you know you can't tell the difference between a good Icon, a leaking Icon and no rear shock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

You have to really push the Icons hard to see the difference. You're not gonna be able to see a benefit on the street between a Bilstein vs a high end coilover, in fact as you say the Bilstein may even ride more comfortable on the street. If you're not using it hard you're just wasting money on the 2.5's.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
You have to really push the Icons hard to see the difference. You're not gonna be able to see a benefit on the street between a Bilstein vs a high end coilover, in fact as you say the Bilstein may even ride more comfortable on the street. If you're not using it hard you're just wasting money on the 2.5's.
If Icon built a decent coilover that would be true, but they don't. There seems to be undersized shock shaft issues, or gasket issues, or some other QC issue that they can't chase down.

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Mitt78 previously said: View Post
If Icon built a decent coilover that would be true, but they don't. There seems to be undersized shock shaft issues, or gasket issues, or some other QC issue that they can't chase down.
Unfortunately that occasionally seems to be the case. I've had mine on for about 10 years and 100k miles with one rebuild. And between my brother and I 150k miles on Icons with zero issues. QC is likely to blame during the machining process if they blow out o-rings.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Unfortunately that occasionally seems to be the case. I've had mine on for about 10 years and 100k miles with one rebuild. And between my brother and I 150k miles on Icons with zero issues. QC is likely to blame during the machining process if they blow out o-rings.
Thats why yours have lasted. Icon has gone down hill ever since Donahoe was put in jail. I have had both shock shaft and gaskets replaced and they still blew on average twice a year.

Last edited by Mitt78; 07-22-2018 at 08:36 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As someone deciding on suspension now, these threads are very helpful. I've been debating between Icon vs Toytec and after seeing about 4 recent threads regarding Icon issues, it's making it a little easier. I always tend to overbuild whatever I'm using it for as I want no issues. I just recently redid my suspension on my sports car and have been very happy in it keeping an OEM feel, but still quite the upgrade. Other than the body roll, I enjoy how a stock FJ feels in terms of bumps, etc and seems Toytec is more aligned to that.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Same here... had the ICON's, (originally Donahoe's) for 11 years and 105K miles. Had them rebuilt once, and had them add the remote reservoirs. The first set of rear shocks were crap, so I got 2.0's with reservoirs as well.

Clearly something has changed, as they used to be universally admired, and now there's a lot of complaints. That's a problem as I was looking to get new suspension. Looks like it won't be ICON's this time.

Problem is... what to get? Fox seems to have gotten popular? This forum likes Toytec... another forum likes RadFlo direct? Having had ICON's, I'm used to a rather nice ride offload. Nothing is easy I guess?

07 Black Cherry 4x4 AT-CQ, UP, C7, C8, GY, EL, RS3200,
TRD CAI, BFG A/T KO's, ICON coilovers w/remote reservoirs and extended travel bushing, ICON rear springs & ICON 2.0 reservoir shocks, All-Pro UCA's, All-Pro bumpers, All-Pro skids (IFS, Trans, TC, rear links, shocks), All-Pro high clearance tailpipe, Warn M8000 winch, BajaRack, TT mirrors, bezel & door handles, SpringTail Molle everything, PIAA bulbs.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

Don’t overlook King!
FatJohnson likes this.

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in