New Bilstein 5100 Adjustables - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Bilstein 5100 Adjustables

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. Dealer says I need new front struts due to leakage. Already set on Bilstein 5100 adjustables done by an independent 4x4 shop here in town. If I buy a pair of the struts do they come with all the hardware required for installation? The shop is not a Bilstein dealer but does a lot of installs on local FJ's.

Do I also need to buy the coilover pack as well or can I use the original springs/coils that are in there right now. Thanks!

JB

2007 6spd MT Voodoo Blue
Subwoofer, Roof rack, rear locker
Stock suspension
265/70/17 General Grabber AT2
OEM Rock Rails
LED Everything
Bumper Stealth Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sealevel
Re: New Bilstein 5100 Adjustables

You can use the original coils unless if you carry more weight by adding bumpers, winch, skid, then it’s a good time to upgrade.
CRFjockey and Boums like this.

'07 Titanium auto 4x4, rear locker, ATRAC, upgrade pk 2, Pioneer AVIC-D3 nav system w/ipod Vd, 265/70 17 Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Trail-Gear sliders, black Ellis Precision Grab Handles, black RazorWings, AFE Cat-back exhaust & CAI, Black Oak LEDs, Iron Mountain shift knobs, tinted windows, US Off Road Bumper, Engo Winch, cargo net, Midld 75-822 CB, Bandi Mount, 4' Firestik, Manik Black Taillight Guards & a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sticker.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sealevel previously said: View Post
You can use the original coils unless if you carry more weight by adding bumpers, winch, skid, then it’s a good time to upgrade.
Perfect, thanks!

2007 6spd MT Voodoo Blue
Stock suspension
OEM Rock Rails
LED Everything
Bumper Stealth Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sealevel previously said: View Post
One more question. Do I need to buy a mounting kit if I purchase just the 5100's or can the hardware that's on the FJ right now be used? Don't wanna get to the shop with just the new strut and need other components.

2007 6spd MT Voodoo Blue
Stock suspension
OEM Rock Rails
LED Everything
Bumper Stealth Bar
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sealevel

Quote:
Boums previously said: View Post
One more question. Do I need to buy a mounting kit if I purchase just the 5100's or can the hardware that's on the FJ right now be used? Don't wanna get to the shop with just the new strut and need other components.
When I purchased mine everything I needed was there or I reused some parts like springs, etc.
Boums likes this.

'07 Titanium auto 4x4, rear locker, ATRAC, upgrade pk 2, Pioneer AVIC-D3 nav system w/ipod Vd, 265/70 17 Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Trail-Gear sliders, black Ellis Precision Grab Handles, black RazorWings, AFE Cat-back exhaust & CAI, Black Oak LEDs, Iron Mountain shift knobs, tinted windows, US Off Road Bumper, Engo Winch, cargo net, Midld 75-822 CB, Bandi Mount, 4' Firestik, Manik Black Taillight Guards & a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sticker.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)

Quote:
Boums previously said: View Post
How many miles on your FJ, and has it had an easy life or has it had serious off-roading?

If there is any doubt whatsoever, replace the top strut mounts, using OEM parts.

Also make sure you get the 5100’s for the ‘07 - ‘09 models, not the ‘10 - ‘14 models.
Boums likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Boums,

The 5100's are designed to re-use your existing springs and top plate. I would recommended at a minimum purchasing new top plates for the rubber bushings in your existing plates are most likely worn. The 5100's have 4 different height adjustments. Height setting 2 or sometimes 3 will level the FJ depending on application. You can find many youtube videos on the subject.

The Bilsteins are a decent shock. You will be happy with the upgrade, if installed correctly.
CRFjockey likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
How many miles on your FJ, and has it had an easy life or has it had serious off-roading?

If there is any doubt whatsoever, replace the top strut mounts, using OEM parts.

Also make sure you get the 5100’s for the ‘07 - ‘09 models, not the ‘10 - ‘14 models.
Not for the 2010??? I was just about to pull the trigger on 5100s all the way around for my 2010. Do they not fit?

“Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)

Quote:
Shane Tuttle previously said: View Post
Not for the 2010??? I was just about to pull the trigger on 5100s all the way around for my 2010. Do they not fit?
You misinterpreted my post.

Bilstein makes TWO DIFFERENT model 5100 struts ... one for '07 - '09 models, a different one for '10 to '14 models.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I sure did, FJtest. Sorry 'bout that. I kinda freaked initially reading it after weeks and weeks of researching what I want out of my suspension, only to think NONE of the 5100s fit. *whew!*

“Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in