Steering Rack Upgrade. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

8Likes
  • 7 Post By HERSOG
  • 1 Post By HERSOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Steering Rack Upgrade.

Soon I will be working on the 2014 Toyota Tundra Rack & Pinion.

There are a few obstacles in the way, but nothing that can’t be worked out.
The distance between the barrel mounts is off by 1” the Fj is 15.5” and the Tundra rack is 16.5”. The mount on the driver side needs to be relocated by 1” outward. I have to weld/fab a 1/2” cold rolled steel plat from the bottom to support the new location for the barrel mount.
Also the steering intermediate shaft needs to be shorten since the pinion gear is much larger in diameter and taller.
The “RAM” on the Tundra rack needs to be shortened from both ends and retapped, and since I don’t know what type of steel Toyota is using, I will send the ram to my sister so she can heat treated it to whichever Rockwell/hardness scale she determines.

The rack is on its way to me from Dallas and this will take a while and I am positive I can make it work.
The Rack & Pinion on the FJ is the weakest link, everything else can be beefed up, and this way I don’t have to go SAS hopefully.

2010 Plus Fj Rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have you finished the install? Just a point here. Since you say the rams on both ends are too long. Can you just use Fabtechs tie rods since they are beefier and shorter than stock tie rods? Just an idea here.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Re: Steering Rack Upgrade.

Would also like to know your progress on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:25 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Curious why your doing this only because the tie rods and ends are bigger on the FJ 2010 and up. Can't be interchanged.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Steering Rack Upgrade.

Quote:
James-crush previously said: View Post
Have you finished the install? Just a point here. Since you say the rams on both ends are too long. Can you just use Fabtechs tie rods since they are beefier and shorter than stock tie rods? Just an idea here.
Unfortunately it was no go and long story short, in order to “CENTER” the rack on the Fj frame I had to drill 2 holes but the holes would end up to close to the existing OEM mount.
I am looking to another rack and talking to the Toyota tech/measurements and will be ordering it soon.

Quote:
Cruiser47 previously said: View Post
Curious why your doing this only because the tie rods and ends are bigger on the FJ 2010 and up. Can't be interchanged.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

It has nothing to do with tie round ends. I already have a chromoly inner and outer, beside that the entire rack is weak including the stock inner and outer tie road ends.

I am doing this to beef-up the entire system.

debFJVT likes this.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Where did you find that steering beefed up mod?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
HERSOG previously said: View Post
Unfortunately it was no go and long story short, in order to “CENTER” the rack on the Fj frame I had to drill 2 holes but the holes would end up to close to the existing OEM mount.
I am looking to another rack and talking to the Toyota tech/measurements and will be ordering it soon.

It has nothing to do with tie round ends. I already have a chromoly inner and outer, beside that the entire rack is weak including the stock inner and outer tie road ends.

I am doing this to beef-up the entire system.

Where did you get those aftermarket inner/outter tie-rods?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in