Icon Stage I vs. OME - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Icon Stage I vs. OME

Hey everyone! Though it has been covered over and over I am looking for last minute opinions, though I'm sure it will be the same as every other thread... why not! I am looking for simple opinions between two options for my 2011 TT FJ.

The Facts:

-Steel bumper (110-ish) and Warn m8000 with synthetic (65-70-ish) on front

-Stock in rear (a larger tire (285/75/16) will be added in spring and I will build a light to medium weight set of drawers in summer ..... but stock for a while

-Other stuff will be replaced/upgraded down the road (aluminum skids, homemade sliders to replace TT rails), but for now, lets just say.... bumper and winch up front

-Daily Driver with 4-5 trips per year

-I tow a utility trailer to landfill to empty garbage and clear brush from time to time, but I DO NOT tow when off-roading or on a trip

-I had OME medium setup on my 80 series before I sold it and was pleased, but this is an entirely different animal and I want a setup that offers a mix of capability and comfort. The bilsteins on the TT were a good feel with the stock weight in my opinion....

The options:

1) Icon Stage 1 (I would get neoprene boots)

2) OME (with 885 up front, and toytec super flex stock load in the back matched with appropriate shock)

Those are the options.... Please don't throw in all kinds of other ones, that is what I have to choose from. So if you had to choose between the 2, (just say someone was giving them to you, do not factor in price) which would you chose and why?

Thanks for helping me beat a dead horse!!!!!

-JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2018, 11:36 AM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Re: Icon Stage I vs. OME

I prefer OME , yeah Icon are pretty but if you live in an area with road salt in the winter after the first year you cant adjust crap anyways. OME been around for years and remember we are talking about shocks that wear out. Sure they can be rebuit somewhat but I can replace with new for alot less and the ride difference is not noticeable on any offroad trail. Just an opinion, its your money.
sonof40 and Explorer4Hire like this.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
pop previously said: View Post
I prefer OME , yeah Icon are pretty but if you live in an area with road salt in the winter after the first year you cant adjust crap anyways. OME been around for years and remember we are talking about shocks that wear out. Sure they can be rebuit somewhat but I can replace with new for alot less and the ride difference is not noticeable on any offroad trail. Just an opinion, its your money.

I do live in an area that gets salted (Northern Virginia). I also plan on neoprene boots and I do take good care to wash my vehicles always (though I park outside)..... but I hear ya. I am worried about the harshness of the OME, vs. the reliability issues you sometimes hear about ICON. I like a truck feel (like I said the bilsteins on stock were nice), but I'm wondering how much different It will be with the OME setup. Granted I have the weight up front to help out...

Thanks for the response! That is one vote for OME with toytec rear springs.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

OME they will outlast the Icons. My OMEs are still going on strong after 9 years, i've had to get the Icons rebuild after 3 summers...
Explorer4Hire likes this.

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Had OME, changed to Icon.
Went back to OME. More reliable less noisy.
Cholerabob and Explorer4Hire like this.

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How are you guys finding the ride with my above mentioned mods? Some people say it’s unbelievably stiff! I’m hoping it’s not terrible. Thanks for the responses!

JP
Explorer4Hire
Rex - 2011 TT FJ Cruiser

Snoopy - 96 FJ80 *SOLD*
Old 12-10-2018, 12:33 PM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

I have an ARB front bumper and am running OME-885/ OME-90010 coils and shocks on the front and OME-895e/ OME-60080 coils and shocks on the rear. The ride is comparable to stock except that you don't nose dive when stopping and lean when turning. Very secure ride, much better than my friends stock 4Runner overall a great ride. Remember tires have a great deal to do with your overall ride and comfort.
Explorer4Hire likes this.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Man, I like hearing that! I LOVE the ride on the TT valved bilsteins. But it’s time to upgrade for my mods and I don’t like the nosedive effect. I’ll be adding roughly 160-165 pounds up front so I think I’ll be good. A few people have been talking up ICONS to me but I’m scared I’ll have a lot of problems. It sounds like I can go with the OME setup described with a trim packer for the lean and be good to roll

JP
Explorer4Hire
Rex - 2011 TT FJ Cruiser

Snoopy - 96 FJ80 *SOLD*
Old 12-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

The Icon stage 1 rides great. They can always be adjusted, its very easy. At least mine can and they're 11 years old! What state are you in? We get snow a few times a year, not to mention all the wheeling I do and I have just over 50k miles on them since the last rebuild, still doing great. No doubt OME is proven but you're gonna loose a little bit of performance/features for that reliability.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I live in Northern Virginia. What issues have you had with your setup? Any? How many rebuilds? How many miles before first rebuild? Any leaks or squeaks? Thanks for a different opinion!

JP
Explorer4Hire
Rex - 2011 TT FJ Cruiser

Snoopy - 96 FJ80 *SOLD*

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List