Replacing stock suspension - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

6Likes
  • 4 Post By norm356
  • 1 Post By rambofj
  • 1 Post By SilvFx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing stock suspension

Hey everyone I have a few extra dollars and I'm looking to replace/upgrade my 2007 TRD suspension with 120k miles. I mainly use the FJ as my urban commuter (DC potholes) so I'm not interested in lifting the vehicle. I was thinking of buying a new old stock trail teams kit but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. I'm not even sure what all to replace but the ride quality is a bit harsh right now so I thought new suspension would be a good place to start. My budgets around $800.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Replacing stock suspension

Im anxious to hear answers to this to. I was looking at the TRD shock/spring combo that came on the TTUE.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:44 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)

Suggestion: replace the 4 shocks, and see if that resolves the ride quality issues you are experiencing. Note that if the springs have not sagged, they still should be good.

If no plan to lift, Bilstein 4600s are the best bet.

Bilstein 5100s are the same as the 4600s, on the inside, but have the ability to be adjusted up/down (for instance, to deal with a small amount of spring sag at the front). Note, though, that the 5100s are only zinc coated (shiny when new, looks like crud after a few winters), and the 4600s are painted (hold up much longer, in the appearance department).

I wouldn't bother with any other brand of shock, as Bilsteins are demonstrably the best (their unique internal structure provides a better compromise than others can do, and is why they cost a bit more), and the ones Toyota chose for all of the special editions, because of it.

Note that if there is noise from your suspension while going over bumps you could have a perished bushing somewhere. A good mechanic can find it on a hoist by prying with a long pry bar and watching for undue movement. Also, a poorly adjusted parking brake internal mechanism can make a hell of an annoying rattle on bumps.

After changing shocks, it is a good idea to get the alignment checked. Make sure that they lube your eccentric bolts on the lower control arms when they do it so they don't seize over time (worst case requires new lower control arms after cutting the seized bolts off).
Norm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

08 dailey driver....i put blisteins on rear and toytech boss coilovers on front.....they are adjustable so was able to level.....happy with the ride. cost ya around 1100.00 Easy to do yourself.
mandown likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)

Replacing OEM Bilstien shocks (at least I think that is what the 07 TRD SE had). Go here:

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...7&autoModClar=

Probably want to replace this as well.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...7&autoModClar=

If you do this yourself, you are going to have to remove/reinstall the existing springs and will need a spring compressor and know what you are doing. Otherwise you will need to have a shop replace them. I would expect to pay about $300 labor for installation of these 2 front shocks and 2 rear shocks (including removal/reinstallation of existing front coil spring.)

Another approach if you are handy is to buy the already assembled front coilover assemblies that include shock, top hat/hardware and new coilsprings.

KYB Version (similar to the OEM/Tokico shocks used on non-TRD non-TT FJs):
https://www.amazon.com/KYB-SR4130-Co.../dp/B00NYC0YW0
https://www.amazon.com/KYB-SR4131-Co...rds=kyb+sr4131

I took this approach when i replaced the stock front coilovers and rear shocks on my '05 Honda Pilot. KYB is the OEM supplier. Rock Auto sold a whole kit that included already assembled new front coilovers (with new coils and top hat) and rear KYB shocks. Think the whole thing cost about $400 and literally took me about 1 hour to replace. Huge difference in performance from the old worn out Pilot suspension.

Or a fully assembled Bilstein Unit:
https://www.toyteclifts.com/ttafcs-h...coilovers.html

This is a fully assembled coilover unit. You do not have to remove/replace existing coilspring as this comes with a new coil spring. You would have to tell them which of the 4 different lift heights (basically 0 to 3") that you want it set when they assemble it. You have to remove/reinstall 4 bolts - lower shock bolt and the 3 bolts at the top. You will need to be able to do basic wrenching and have floor jack and jack stands to do safely - otherwise you will have to pay a shop to do it.

These are just examples of vendors that you can use. You can google using the manufacturers part number and price shop this stuff at multiple places.
mandown likes this.

Last edited by SilvFx; 01-31-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to share all the info. I'll probably end up just replacing the shocks with the Bilstein 4600s. I have red Bilsteins on there now (not sure which model). I'll do the sway bar links at the same time since the seals are leaking and replace any bushing that I run into. My goal with the Fj is to keep it around as long as possible since I love it and it's paid off. Every time I'm under the truck I end up seeing things that need a little attention so I'm doing sort of a preemptive/frame-on restoration.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)

When you order your new Bilsteins, try and see if you can get the red ones like you've got now, with the 12mm diameter stud on the top of the rear shocks.

In '09 Toyota increased the diameter of that top rear shock stud to a more industry common 14mm, but doing so means that you will not be able to swap your original mounting hardware to the new one, if it comes with dia. 14.

If I recall correctly, Bilstein colors their shocks with the 12mm red/blue, and the 14mm yellow/blue.

If you get ones with 14mm at the top, like I did, you simply throw away the factory hardware and use the "big dumb rubber grommets" what come with the new shock. It works fine. Just thought I'd point out that difference in case it makes it easy for you to order the right ones.

The TRD shocks should still be available through the dealer (or at least get the part number from them, then go shopping for best price on the internet!).

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

The TRD TTUE shocks are your best bet and give the best return on or off road. Otherwise Bilstein 5100 is another fantastic option. I had 5100 before I upgraded to the 6112/5165 with Bilstein springs up front TRD kit. Very happy with it as it serves me well on my weekends at the farms and hills as well as daily commute in city with its share of mega potholes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks! I found the red ones. I'm going to take a look at all of my bushings and probably replace most of them in the process. I had an issue with my front sway bar bushings a few years ago and replacing them made a world of difference. Should I do the strut mounts as well while I'm taking things apart?

Front
Trd, Shock Absorber
Part Number: PTR13-35061

Rear
Trd, Shock Absorber
Part Number: PTR13-35060

And if anyone is looking for install instructions I found this link on another thread.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR13-35060inst.pdf

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in