Remote Reservoir Pros & Cons - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Re: Remote Reservoir Pros & Cons

For casual driving / wheeling, yeah, you donít need them IMO. Iím not in that camp and like to drive faster for extended times on dirt roads / desert. I have a 2012 TT and have actually seen how long it takes to fade the stock shocks and get less than desirable results. You would probably do better and not need to upgrade later if you went with a larger shock body (2.0 or 2.5) with out a resi IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Irving Zisman likes this.

2012 TT , 2.5 Fox DSC Rear , SAW Rear Springs, CB, BajaDesigns Squadron Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:51 AM
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)

Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
In my opinion (and based on opinion and real-time testing of some experts I know) remote reservoirs are overrated for all but the few who do desert racing. The resis allow more oil volume and more rapid cooling so the response doesnít fade. Many people get resis because they think it looks cool and figure it canít hurt. Personally Iíd rather spend that mod money on other things. In your case I think it would be a waste, so buy the best suspension you can. Which Toytec lift are you considering? I have the Boss 2.5 up front and Radflo long travel rear and itís fantastic, both for hard wheeling and on the street. The Boss kit uses Radflo shocks front and rear and are excellent, as is Toytec in general.
i've been preaching this for years now. The reservoir is there so that when the oil has a place to go for heat expansion caused by HIGH cycle rates and long strokes. Daily driving, trail rides and rock crawling don't cause the oil the heat up enough to make the reservoirs effective. IF you want inexpensive and good quality front suspension with a warranty i recommend Bilstein 6112's. If i didn't love high speed desert driving and didnt get my Kings i would have gotten the 6112's.
jeppacrzy and jamesepoop like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

" You can't be afraid to scratch it "
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
NyNomad previously said: View Post
i've been preaching this for years now. The reservoir is there so that when the oil has a place to go for heat expansion caused by HIGH cycle rates and long strokes. Daily driving, trail rides and rock crawling don't cause the oil the heat up enough to make the reservoirs effective. IF you want inexpensive and good quality front suspension with a warranty i recommend Bilstein 6112's. If i didn't love high speed desert driving and didnt get my Kings i would have gotten the 6112's.

^^^ exactly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Exclamation

Complaint rec'd for thread crapping. All related posts were removed. I refer you all to the rules regarding such.

NyNomad and Thorn661 like this.

Sufficient Speed, Acceptable Drag

トヨタ
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage

Definitely solid advice in here... as Deb mentioned, a handful of us, myself included, run the ToyTec Boss 2.5s (radflos) all around. One thing I didn't see mentioned regarding the 2.5s is that they are fully serviceable and re-buildable, and as far as I know (maybe others can verify) the reservoirs can be added on later.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for non-resi 2.5s now and see how they ride first. If they aren't enough for your style of off-roading, or when the time comes to service them, you can pay a little extra to add on the reservoirs then.
debFJVT likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:51 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)

Correct With the Toytech 2.5 you can add Resi later . You will need to send them to Radflo to do it (they are a Radflo Shock ) You can also add the compression adjusters .
debFJVT and Thorn661 like this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
shrdnar previously said: View Post
Definitely solid advice in here... as Deb mentioned, a handful of us, myself included, run the ToyTec Boss 2.5s (radflos) all around. One thing I didn't see mentioned regarding the 2.5s is that they are fully serviceable and re-buildable, and as far as I know (maybe others can verify) the reservoirs can be added on later.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for non-resi 2.5s now and see how they ride first. If they aren't enough for your style of off-roading, or when the time comes to service them, you can pay a little extra to add on the reservoirs then.
Quote:
Firemedic831 previously said: View Post
Correct With the Toytech 2.5 you can add Resi later . You will need to send them to Radflo to do it (they are a Radflo Shock ) You can also add the compression adjusters .
I spoke with Toytec months ago who said they were probably getting into the shock rebuilding business, so hopefully (for those of us living east of the Mississippi) we can send direct to Toytec for that, and/or addition of resis.
Thorn661 likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Firemedic831 previously said: View Post

Yeah, add resi later but it will cost you the amount for the resi plus labor plus time off vehicle. I had the same dilemma before I got mine and thought I didnít want to have to want to upgrade later so I got the Fox w/ DSC so there is no upgrade path unless I got FT which is another beast all together.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Garage

But if you need them rebuilt anyway. Might as well.
debFJVT likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Garage

If you do any performance driving, I recommend it. This includes crawling which still puts your shocks at work and gets the oil/nitrogen moving.. Think of the reason they make a 2.5 vs 2.0 shocks. You want the larger capacity if the budget allows it, go for it. If it doesn't then go with what you can afford. Maybe the most performance driving you get is to the mall in a hurry, then I'd suggest the non-resi and a 2.0 shock will suffice.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in