Remote Reservoir Pros & Cons - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Remote Reservoir Pros & Cons

Hey gang! Quick question: I have a 2012 TT and am going with a 3” ToyTec lift. I’ll only be doing moderate wheeling and no crazy stuff. What’s the deal on going with the remote reservoirs or not? I know that the 2014 UTT came with TRD suspension with Bilsteins and remotes, but that’s a different setup than the Toytec of course. Would they even matter in my case? Thanks! Stumper

Last edited by BoCOStumpy; 04-12-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Remote Reservoir Pros & Cons

In my opinion (and based on opinion and real-time testing of some experts I know) remote reservoirs are overrated for all but the few who do desert racing. The resis allow more oil volume and more rapid cooling so the response doesnít fade. Many people get resis because they think it looks cool and figure it canít hurt. Personally Iíd rather spend that mod money on other things. In your case I think it would be a waste, so buy the best suspension you can. Which Toytec lift are you considering? I have the Boss 2.5 up front and Radflo long travel rear and itís fantastic, both for hard wheeling and on the street. The Boss kit uses Radflo shocks front and rear and are excellent, as is Toytec in general.
sonof40, NyNomad, SilvFx and 8 others like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:07 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Garage

I agree with Deb. If you do high speed dirt road driving, or drive on washboard dirt roads a lot, a remote reservoir shock might be helpful. Otherwise, use that money for other mods.
Winterpeg likes this.

Steve in MN
Sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage

Listen to Deb.
ZerosFJ, FJ BRUZER and debFJVT like this.

"You don't need to worry about visibility over the hood....thats why cactus are so tall...just point the truck where the no cactus are and floor it."

-Rick Snell
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

We use them in crawling because it allows for a shorter shock body due to the internal floating piston being in the reservoir. Good remote res coil overs have shorter bodies compared to their nos res counterparts. There are other reasons but that is the main one. For the price difference, I'd always go remote.
Zed 71 and jamesepoop like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks Deb! I’m also going with the Boss 2.5 extended travel in the front. The rear is where I’m trying to decide. I’m leaning towards no remotes based on your suggestions and even what ToyTec here in Denver is recommending for what I’m planning to do with her...
debFJVT likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MotioncontrolMike
Go remote and preventatively keep your shocks from heating up and thereby reducing their effectiveness.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2450 Post(s)
Garage

For mild wheeling forget them. If you hammer your FJ and go hard and want a premium option, get them. A big reason to get them is they can come with adjusters, don't think Toytec does that though.
darkhorse13 likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
BoCOStumpy previously said: View Post
Thanks Deb! Iím also going with the Boss 2.5 extended travel in the front. The rear is where Iím trying to decide. Iím leaning towards no remotes based on your suggestions and even what ToyTec here in Denver is recommending for what Iím planning to do with her...
I have the Toytec extended travel 2.5 coilovers as well. If you can afford to put some 2.5 Radflo shocks on the rear do it. I used the toy tec boss 2.0 rear shock. While they are good they are not the ride that a 2.5 shock is. I am planning to change over to 2.5 rear shocks when I get paid in May. Radflo makes it in both a reservoir and non-reservoir shock.
Here is the link
https://www.radflo.com/ag-95.103.106...j-cruiser.html
debFJVT likes this.

"You don't need to worry about visibility over the hood....thats why cactus are so tall...just point the truck where the no cactus are and floor it."

-Rick Snell
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)

The boss 2.5 . set up is great . I am switching my rear around so i have changed everything and have gone with the Metal Tech rear long travel set up . Just because i am more for show and less for go , this time i opted to try the Radflo 2.5 rears with remotes . My Radflo 2.5 non remotes have been excellent . With the 2.5 rears you can remove the rear sway bar and not have any issues .
BrodieTheDog likes this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in