Total Chaos vs RESZ LCA/UCA/Panhard Kit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Total Chaos vs RESZ LCA/UCA/Panhard Kit

I couldn't find a thread that showed a detailed comparison between these two, but I'm contemplating which one to get before I add my LRA tank in two weeks. Rear suspension consists of a Fox 2.5 Factory Series Shock w/DSC adjusters and 3" Icon Overland springs. Looking to beef up the rear end (currently have stock LCA/UCA/Panhard Bar).

I understand the following differences:

Total Chaos
- Use Poly bushings on one side, Heims on the other (not opposed to Heims as I live in San Diego)
- Made of Chromoly steel (stronger than standard steel)
- Adjustable on side with Heim
- Can pickup next week from TC

RESZ
- Poly bushings on both sides
- Made of Steel
- Non-adjustable
- Need to ship (haven't heard the best about his "reliability")

Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member
Re: Total Chaos vs RESZ LCA/UCA/Panhard Kit

I just installed the RESZ fab upper lower and panhard bar. they are very heavy duty. I ordered with the duroflex bushing instead of poly bushing. they also offer johnny joints. there upper and lower LCA are also offset.they work very well. I would not do poly bushing.

they are a small shop and you may wait if you order from them but very high quality product.

you may want to check and see if these are still for sale. they are blue powder coat but that can be fixed with a rattle can. $650.00 is a good deal.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...s-panhard.html

here is a thread on mine

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_080232223_HDR.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	1075150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_080134789_HDR.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	1075152  
Thorn661 and DucRider like this.

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JKFJ08 previously said: View Post
I just installed the RESZ fab upper lower and panhard bar. they are very heavy duty. I ordered with the duroflex bushing instead of poly bushing. they also offer johnny joints. there upper and lower LCA are also offset.they work very well. I would not do poly bushing.

they are a small shop and you may wait if you order from them but very high quality product.

you may want to check and see if these are still for sale. they are blue powder coat but that can be fixed with a rattle can. $650.00 is a good deal.

here is a thread on mine

Thanks for all the info. Why wouldn't you do a poly bushing on the RESZ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

So if you are really needing to upgrade the rear ASAP, then going with the option of picking them up from TC is the way to go.

However, I have RESZ Fab links and I have not been disappointed. I got the non adjustable links with the Duroflex joints as well which combines the improved articulation of a Johnny joint with the maintenance free care of a regular bushing. It is pretty cool! Plus, RESZ Fabs links, though non adjustable, are already sized to be ideal with a standard 3" lift found on most FJs. And I've heard and seen so many horror stories of adjustable links going bad that I just want to stay away from them at all costs. And being one who enjoys a nice quiet ride off and on-road, I don't have to worry about a joint like a Johnny joint wearing out and making squeaking or knocking or clicking noises over time.

If you're willing to wait for some time till Black Friday, that's when RESZ has a killer sale on their links as a kit every year and that is the best time to get them if you want to save some money. But regardless of when you order them, since they're all pretty much made to order so expect a lead time of a couple weeks to a couple months. Granted, I ordered mine during times of the year that are probably the busiest for them so if you ordered right now hopefully it would be sooner.

That's my two cents.
CRFjockey and DucRider like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

Quote:
DucRider previously said: View Post
Thanks for all the info. Why wouldn't you do a poly bushing on the RESZ?
DucRider if you look at the photo of the LCA you can see how much flex you get in the bushing on the axle. you will not get that with poly. the panhard bar only comes with poly.

( I think if you double click on that photo you can zoom in on the axle mount)
DucRider likes this.

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JKFJ08 previously said: View Post
DucRider if you look at the photo of the LCA you can see how much flex you get in the bushing on the axle. you will not get that with poly. the panhard bar only comes with poly.

( I think if you double click on that photo you can zoom in on the axle mount)
Awesome, thanks so much!

Quote:
FJX2000 previously said: View Post
So if you are really needing to upgrade the rear ASAP, then going with the option of picking them up from TC is the way to go.

However, I have RESZ Fab links and I have not been disappointed. I got the non adjustable links with the Duroflex joints as well which combines the improved articulation of a Johnny joint with the maintenance free care of a regular bushing. It is pretty cool! Plus, RESZ Fabs links, though non adjustable, are already sized to be ideal with a standard 3" lift found on most FJs. And I've heard and seen so many horror stories of adjustable links going bad that I just want to stay away from them at all costs. And being one who enjoys a nice quiet ride off and on-road, I don't have to worry about a joint like a Johnny joint wearing out and making squeaking or knocking or clicking noises over time.

If you're willing to wait for some time till Black Friday, that's when RESZ has a killer sale on their links as a kit every year and that is the best time to get them if you want to save some money. But regardless of when you order them, since they're all pretty much made to order so expect a lead time of a couple weeks to a couple months. Granted, I ordered mine during times of the year that are probably the busiest for them so if you ordered right now hopefully it would be sooner.

That's my two cents.
Looks like he has a set in stock, but only with poly bushings. I'm installing a set of Icon 3" overland springs next weekend and then going right into installing an LRA 30 gallon aux tank. I need to get these in before I put the tank in, so timing is critical!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
DucRider previously said: View Post
Looks like he has a set in stock, but only with poly bushings. I'm installing a set of Icon 3" overland springs next weekend and then going right into installing an LRA 30 gallon aux tank. I need to get these in before I put the tank in, so timing is critical!
In that case you'd probably be fine. Duroflex are great for Long travel setups but if you just have a standard lift the poly should be great.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJX2000 previously said: View Post
In that case you'd probably be fine. Duroflex are great for Long travel setups but if you just have a standard lift the poly should be great.
I ended up ordering the Duroflex since they don't have the maintenance requirements of a poly/johnny or heim and the added flex/vibration resistance is a great feature. Mike at RESZ has a set in stock, but they're various colors (blue, red, bare metal). He hooked me up and is shipping them out today, so huge kudos to him! I found a local powder coater that can change them all to black for $100 total. Should be able to get it all done just in time!
JKFJ08, FJX2000 and Firemedic831 like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage

G'Day Duc,
If you haven't finalised on the panhard rod / trackbar option
There is a chap over on Taco world, I think... makes a weld on adaptor to raise the stock bar back to vertical.
It comes with multiply height adjustments to tune the bar.
The bracket is welded on top of the stock mount axle side. @debFJVT has it mounted.
Could be another option
Cheers
Baz
DucRider likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
G'Day Duc,
If you haven't finalised on the panhard rod / trackbar option
There is a chap over on Taco world, I think... makes a weld on adaptor to raise the stock bar back to vertical.
It comes with multiply height adjustments to tune the bar.
The bracket is welded on top of the stock mount axle side. @debFJVT has it mounted.
Could be another option
Cheers
Baz
Hi Baz!

I ended up ordering the set of rear upper and lower links with a panhard bar. It's all shipped and the tracking number says it will arrive next Thursday. Gotta give a big shout out to Mike at RESZ fab for making it happen this fast! Can't wait to get these installed with the 3" Icon overland springs, then mount up the LRA tank!
FJX2000 likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in