Proper Length for Rear UCA's with 2" Lift - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By umami
  • 1 Post By DRTCRZR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Proper Length for Rear UCA's with 2" Lift

Alrighty Fellow FJ'rs,

I've searched a few times and came up empty. I finally received a pair of Metal Tech Rear UCA's for my 2010 FJ and now it's time to install these awesome links. The important fact to note here is my rear springs are Rough Country 2" lift springs. I believe at some point I read that the adjustment for a 2" lift was to increase the link to +3/8"over stock, is this the correct length to return the pinion angle back to stock?

If there's a formula to calculate the adjustment, that too would be excellent info to have.

Thanks in advance for your comments and direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Re: Proper Length for Rear UCA's with 2" Lift

Hmmm... A little surprised I'm coming up empty. Anyone?

Maybe the issue is "Not enough exposure". It's been a while since I posted, but why is this thread not also seen in Active Topics?

Last edited by DRTCRZR; 05-10-2019 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I would contact MT. They have been helpful . I get your issue. The 2" lift is an problem child with the FJ, especially when adding weight.
Basically both flanges from to the T case and the diff should be at the same angle.
Your shocks do bind at the axle unfortunately with any lift which is why the more expensive set ups have a spherical bearing on the shaft end.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Somewhere in MT's installation instructions, they mention setting their links with an additional 1/8"-3/16" length over stock. Reszfab's non-adjustable links have 3/16" more length over stock as well. I'm merely transferring information here, not knowledge.

I'm struggling with this same question, since I just did a King shock lift on my FJ, with 2" springs in the back. Mike at Reszfab, along with a few other shops, argue vehemently that adjustable links are more trouble than they're worth and Reszfab offers a small increase in the length of the upper links and panhard bar to compensate for small lifts. I'm skeptical of the one size fits all approach, but the amount of change in the driveline with a 2" lift is pretty small, so maybe close enough is ok? Having read a bit on pinion angle, it sounds like very small changes in the angular adjustment have a significant effect on the resulting handling and wear. If you want to get deep into it, this is a good place to start:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml

The techs at the alignment shop I frequent said, basically, if you don't feel any vibration in the driveline, don't change anything. "If it ain't broke..." is generally sage advice. That said, I'm interested in the additional downtravel that properly set links might provide. I can find no information on how much that might actually be. The alignment techs I talked to prefer to have adjustable links, dial in the rear pinion angle, and then redo the entire vehicle alignment to get things set right. If you have a shop in your area that you trust, you might be better off paying a couple hundred bucks to have someone with expertise dial this in for you.

I'd be curious to hear what you find out if you end up contacting MT, or however you end up solving this.
Cruiser47 and FJCRUZA like this.

2011 Cavalry Blue 6MT | The Jerk build | Instagram
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I agree with what you stated above.
When I talked with MT the measurements he gave where the same. I'm @2" front,1.5 rear. My driveline flanges are the same angle. The rear LCA's are showing no threads and the same on the top, both MT.

As for the shocks, they are the limiting factor on downtravel. There is no real limit with aftermarket control arms, the shock is the stop. ONE reason why limit straps are used.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I spoke with John at MT. He told me that when they do +2" (over stock) install they set the lower links to 3/16" longer and the uppers are set to 1/16" shorter than stock.

I measured the driveline angles today and the rear diff is about 1 1/2 degrees toward the front of the vehicle (less than the transfer case flange angle) so it makes sense to lengthen the lowers to correct that.
Cruiser47 likes this.

Last edited by DRTCRZR; 05-20-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in